Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Three months after the fact the CDC finally tells the truth.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,079

Three months after the fact the CDC finally tells the truth.

Aug 15, 2020, 10:24 AM

N95 or other mask with exhalation valves (vent) do not protect others from the wearer. Who would have thunk it? The purpose of wearing a mask, as has been discussed here for 6 months, is only to protect others.

https://www.nbcnews.com/shopping/wellness/popular-face-masks-cdc-valves-n1236806

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Three months after the fact the CDC finally tells the truth.

Aug 15, 2020, 10:30 AM

trump should turn off the restrictions for making alcohol , we could cover the world in hand sanitizer

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wut?

Aug 15, 2020, 10:49 AM

The EPA and FDA did relax all the regulations so hand sanitizer could be made.

The hand sanitizer we have in our office came from a distillery in Jacksonville, FL.

I believe that countries in the EU still require hand sanitizer there to be made within the EU, or comply with all their normal regulations.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wut?

Aug 15, 2020, 10:51 AM

can we make it at *home?

*legally

Message was edited by: ClemsonRangers®

Aug 15, 2020, 11:06 AM

Reading the internets I don’t see anything that says it’s illegal, or ever was illegal.

The FDA recommends that you don’t do it at home because if done wrong it can burn your skin.

There are tons of network news stories on how do it, magazine articles, websites, etc.

You're just making moonshine.

Aug 15, 2020, 11:09 AM

Have to make sure to pour off the methanol, keep the good stuff, and dump the crap at the end.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2020, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Wut? ]

i think you have to have a permit for use in your car, required to add a little poison to it to keep you from selling it

Federal law strictly prohibits individuals from producing distilled spirits at home (see 26 United States Code (U.S.C.) 5042(a)(2) and 5053(e)). Producing distilled spirits at any place other than a TTB-qualified distilled spirits plant can expose you to Federal charges for serious offenses and lead to consequences including, but not necessarily limited to, the following:

Within title 26 of the United States Code, section 5601 sets out criminal penalties for activities including the following. Offenses under this section are felonies that are punishable by up to 5 years in prison, a fine of up to $10,000, or both, for each offense.

5601(a)(1) – Possession of an unregistered still.
5601(a)(2) – Engaging in business as a distiller without filing an application and receiving notice of registration.
5601(a)(6) – Distilling on a prohibited premises. (Under 26 U.S.C. 5178(a)(1)(B), a distilled spirits plant may not be located in a residence or in sheds, yards, or enclosures connected to a residence.)
5601(a)(7) – Unlawful production or use of material fit for production of distilled spirits.
5601(a)(8) – Unlawful production of distilled spirits.
5601(a)(11) – Purchase, receipt, and/or processing of distilled spirits when the person who does so knows or has reasonable grounds to believe that Federal excise tax has not been paid on the spirits.
5601(a)(12) – Removal or concealment of distilled spirits on which tax has not been paid.

https://www.ttb.gov/distilled-spirits/penalties-for-illegal-distilling

Old news. Hospitals in Columbia banned vented masks over

Aug 15, 2020, 10:34 AM

a month ago. Cousin went to the hospital about a month ago and they made him remove his vented N95 and gave him a replacement. Explained this "breaking news" to him then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We discussed this six months ago.

Aug 15, 2020, 12:01 PM

Even to the idiots who believe a cloth mask is sufficient to protect them from the virus it's obvious that a valve doesn't work to protect others. Even the best 3m PAPR has unrestricted exhaust. Air supplied by oxygen cylinder is the same.

I've never seen a HEPA mask which doesn't freely exhaust breath because they do not exist. If you examine a dual filter mask work by asbestos/lead abatement workers you will find a rubber flap valve which is designed to release breath from the space between flesh and the mask. It's almost impossible for someone to wear a mask without a valve for expelled air from the lungs without creating an oxygen deficiency in the blood.

Those who wear valved mask are equal to those who do not wear a mask in terms of care for others. An N95 without a valve does wonders for those not wearing it but it is not totally sufficient to protect the wearer.

This mask stuff is a freaking joke. I wear one to avoid conflict and because it reminds me to take the other isle in the stores.

What breaking news? Doctors knew this from the gitgo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As I have always understood it, the N95 mask was the only

Aug 15, 2020, 11:47 AM

mask that provided any real protection for the person wearing the mask. They were never intended to prevent the wearer from spreading the virus. Ever.

On the other hand, surgical masks and other cloth masks and face coverings were never, ever intended to protect the person wearing the mask, but are effective in preventing the wearer from spreading the virus to others.

It has been this way, consistently, from the beginning, as far as I know. It has been very clear. Why has this been so goldam hard for other people to understand?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: As I have always understood it, the N95 mask was the only

Aug 15, 2020, 12:14 PM
Vent.PNG(55.9 K)

Partly true. There are many mask systems which protect the wearer more than the N95 but compared to the surgical or hankey type mask it's great.

In order of protection...

1. Spacesuit, scuba and other Grade D.

2. PAPR and other HEPA N100 filtered rated mask, half face with purple filters etc...

3. N95.

4. Who the eff knows? Others are not scientifically rated and it all turns toward political opinion.

Yes, I wear a surgical mask because my N95 has an exhaust valve.

It's really strange to me that the talk is about vents. Technically, a vent can pass substances in either direction according to pressure changes.

I think everyone is blowing smoke.

I don't know about smoke, but it's been clear from day one.

Aug 15, 2020, 12:41 PM

First, don't wear a mask, mainly because they didn't want to create a shortage for healthcare workers; still trying not to fuel a panic. Not too complicated. Then it changed, as cloth masks became more widely available and infection rates ramped up - wearing a cloth or surgical type mask was helpful in slowing the spread of the virus, but not effective to protect the wearer. N95 type masks were the other way around, and protected the wearer, but not so much others. Straight forward. Not confusing. No smoke. I can't for the life of me understand why this confounds so many people and makes their heads spin.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: I don't know about smoke, but it's been clear from day one.

Aug 15, 2020, 1:07 PM

My son order some N95 exactly like the one AOC was wearing in some photos. It had rows of tiny hole in it which were easy to see through. That indicates some loss of protection for both the wearer and others around.

I refused the mask. It appears to offer less protection for the wearer than a mask made from several pairs of pantyhose. It was a less exaggerated example of the mask AM wore.

Half of the people I see in mask are not wearing them correctly. They don't shape the tops to follow their nose lines and the other edges of the mask are loose which allows their breath to be expelled without being pushed through the fabric.

Who are they protecting? Not themselves for most of their intake of air is unfiltered. They aren't protecting others because of obvious reasons.

The concepts of forcing people to wear a mask is purely political unless you enforce the proper method of wearing a mask. If Trump wanted political points he should lecture people on the proper use of a mask and size selections along with tips on how to twist the straps to tighten the mask for proper fit.

I've also seen people with mask over their mouth but not their noses. That seems to be some cultural statement of ridicule to those who require mask.

I don't necessarily agree with a mask wearing mandate.

Aug 15, 2020, 2:08 PM [ in reply to I don't know about smoke, but it's been clear from day one. ]

That is a separate debate. Mask wearing guidlines have been clear to me from the get-go. The reasons behind it are clear and simple. Of course, wearing the correct type of mask, and wearing it correctly makes a difference. Don't know that i've ever heard it agued otherwise, nor do I think the fact that some people are too stupid to understand simple concepts and follow simple guidelines makes the wearing of masks to prevent the spread of Covid, in general, useless or ineffective. I think the more people we can get to wear masks, even if some fock it up, the better off we are.

- H. L. Mencken

I thought we always knew this, or at least for a while?

Aug 15, 2020, 2:39 PM

If you already have the virus, you wearing a mask cuts down pretty sharply the chance of you transmitting to someone else wearing a mask.

As for the N95's I've heard that for a while too. The ones with the vent on the front are for healthcare use only, and protect the wearer, but offer no protection to ones in the vicinity of the wearer. The ones with side vents are apparently still ok.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems reasonable.

Aug 15, 2020, 4:22 PM

Fact, even the cloth mask cuts down on shedding the virus. The surgical does a little more. There is no quantifying this, it's just a guess and probably always will be.

I want medical workers to wear N95 or even N100 mask with valves. They need the air and are of all most likely to notice early symptoms of the virus if contracted. Also, you can't give the virus to someone who already has it.

I think everyone should choose to wear a mask but the science indicates that those who are not showing symptoms do not shed the disease.

Asians

Aug 15, 2020, 5:51 PM

I may be oversimplifying this, but the Asians have dealt with pandemics much more recently than we have. They are all wearing masks, and their numbers are way better than ours. So that’s all the evidence I need. Obviously we need to be smart about how the masks are worn as has been suggested in previous posts.

to what are you referring here? I thought it was very much

Aug 15, 2020, 9:26 PM [ in reply to Seems reasonable. ]

the opposite

"I think everyone should choose to wear a mask but the science indicates that those who are not showing symptoms do not shed the disease."

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It's Baltimore, Gentlemen; the Gods will not save you."

Re: to what are you referring here? I thought it was very much

Aug 16, 2020, 9:44 AM

Symptoms don't manifest until the virus multiplies significantly. If the virus isn't growing there's not much virus to expel in one's breath.

It is speculated that it's possible to shed a day or two before symptoms manifest but no scientific evidence exist for that.

“It appears from very limited information we have right now that people have more virus in their body at or around the time that they develop symptoms, so very early on,” Maria van Kerkhove, a WHO epidemiologist and technical lead on the pandemic, told a live session on social media..."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-who-symptoms/coronavirus-patients-most-infectious-when-they-first-feel-unwell-who-idUSKBN23G2LZ

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,079
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic