Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Clemson Greats who never played NFL Ball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

The Clemson Greats who never played NFL Ball

May 5, 2018, 1:47 PM

So AOATT52's recent post got me thinking about the all-time Clemson greats who never moved on to a career in the NFL. Some of these Tigers were big-time transcendent players who made today's success possible.

Two at the top of the list are Tajh Boyd and James Davis ... these stalwarts no doubt paved the way for today's success. We've all heard JD begat CJ who begat Sammy who begat Deshaun who begat TL, TH, and so on and so forth. A lot of truth in that. IMHO James Davis kicked things off when he generously and unselfishly went over & above to recruit CJ Spiller. The original Thunder & Lightning. Who are the many more Clemson greats who opened the door for today's team and did not move on to the NFL?

On a related subject, a nod of recognition to on-the-field all-world safety DeAndre McDaniel who has now overcome some poor decisions ... DMc was the best on the field. 1st team All-ACC as a freshman in 2007. After his girlfriend incident in 2008, it never was the same. Still I believed his talent would translate to the NFL which never happened. Team in those days was average, but DB's included Sensabaugh, Gilchrist, Maxwell, and McDaniel. Some are still in league & McD was head & shoulders better in college. Was it actions off the field or was it a speed deficit that stopped his NFL career? Always wondered.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Clemson Greats who never played NFL Ball

May 5, 2018, 2:03 PM

Between the early injury and it being Cleveland and all, JD had some tough breaks trying to get traction in the NFL.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cleveland & Buffalo are rough landing spots for Tigers

May 5, 2018, 3:06 PM

or any other college players. Tough break for JD. The young man was a winner.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would have thought Jay Guilermo would have...

May 5, 2018, 3:14 PM

played for a bit. I would have thought D Hamilton would have stuck in the league longer, but he did make it briefly.

I was a big Noodle fan - thought he would do well in SF***

May 5, 2018, 3:54 PM

May 5, 2018, 3:38 PM

We had so many LBs in the mid-2000s that I would have thought had a shot. Obviously, Anthony Waters never quite lived up to his full potential. I blame Lane Kiffin even though he was failing somewhere else at the time.

I always wondered why Nick Watkins or Tremaine Billie never got much of a look, though I know Billie was small. He just hit so hard. Then, there was David Dunham. Matt Ryan is probably still feeling that.

The sad one, and maybe the best was Antonio Clay. Loved watching that kid play, and the way he stepped up when Waters got hurt. What a monster. Just short-lived. Can't imagine enduring the loss he dealt with.

May 5, 2018, 3:55 PM

Few players meant more to Clemson than Ben Boulware. Artavis Scott was big for us as well, but the jury is still our on the NFL. Going back to my school days, Rodney Williams never had a shot at the NFL, but was a winner at CU.

The great Anthony Simmons

May 5, 2018, 4:08 PM

What a player. Earned starting LB job as freshman in 1995 and finished season with 150 tackles. Became the first defensive player ever to be named UPI's national freshman of the year, and 1st team All-ACC. Set another Tigers' record for tackles (178) in 1996. Named All-American and 1st team All-ACC.

Recognized as consensus 1st team All-American as junior leading Clemson and ACC in tackles (158) and tackles for loss (25) and third-consecutive 1st team All-ACC.

Ran hand-timed 4.28 and a 4.34 forty-yard dash for scout Larry Greenlee. Selected 15th overall in 1998 NFL Draft by Seahawks. Led Seahawks in tackles in 2000, 2001, and 2003. Released by Seahawks after 2004 and sat out 2005 due to injury. Signed with New Orleans before the 2006 season but retired due to injury. Great career with 591 tackles (455 solo), 10 sacks, 34.5 tackles for loss, seven forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, 27 pass deflections, nine interceptions for 131 yards, and two touchdowns in just 87 games. Not bad. Got a sniff but potential HOF career snuffed out by injury.

There are a ton

May 5, 2018, 4:22 PM

Stacy Driver, Tim Brewster, Bubba Brown, Ronald Williams, Ed McDaniel, Gary Cooper, Stacy Seegar, Willie Jordan, Aaron Kelly, Travis Zachary, really on and on.

Good memory .. great players but McDaniel had a good NFL run

May 5, 2018, 4:28 PM

1992-2001 with MN Vikings and one 1998 Pro Bowl. I was a big fan of Bubba Brown (what a hitter) and Driver, Williams and Zachary could run all day. You made me remember solid RB Lester Brown.

Billy Luckie***

May 5, 2018, 4:42 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would like to mention Homer Jordan.

May 5, 2018, 4:50 PM

He was an outstanding college QB who played an amazing game against Nebraska in 81 to lead us to our first natty.
His skill set didn't match up with what the NFL is looking for in a QB.

Re: I would like to mention Homer Jordan.

May 5, 2018, 9:48 PM

agree.homer never seems to get mentioned much or enough,even here on tigernet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

1st guy I thought of. No player has meant more to Clemson.

May 6, 2018, 10:07 AM [ in reply to I would like to mention Homer Jordan. ]

No one knew where Clemson was prior to 1981. Homer was heroic in the title game.

No NFL for him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 1st guy I thought of. No player has meant more to Clemson.

May 6, 2018, 9:35 PM

didn't he play in the cfl for a bit ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

May 5, 2018, 5:13 PM

What ever happened to Ronald Williams?

Didn't he come in with a bunch of hype and potential, then leave early only to not get drafted?

Woody didn't play long, but...

May 5, 2018, 5:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otuFheely88

Re: Woody didn't play long, but...

May 6, 2018, 9:47 AM

Thanks for posting. Woody had incredible talent. He was KB2 on steroids. Alas there just wasn’t a way to translate that talent in the NFL beyond the special teams spectacular.

May 5, 2018, 9:42 PM

Bret Bodine, Lee Nanney, Terry Smith, Dorian Mariable, T Zimmerman

To the above post Ed McDaniel had a darn good few years for the Vikings

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tony Steward

May 5, 2018, 9:46 PM

Would have loved to see his NFL dreams come true. Outstanding kid.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember all those Tiger greats ... looks like Steward is

May 5, 2018, 10:16 PM

doing well back in FLA and keeping up with Jarrett and his Tiger mates.

May 6, 2018, 7:48 AM

If Tajh Boyd held onto the ball like Kelly does without he defense Kelly has Tigernet would have run him out of town on a rail. The guy was a fighter and put the ball in playmakers hands. Couldn't see safeties but could throw a go route.

Ashley Sheppard was a physical specimen along with

May 6, 2018, 1:00 PM

Stacy Seegars. Seegars left Seahawk camp and quit for some reason and Sheppard got cut with NE and never got another look I dont think. Seegars was a beast and Shep was the total package as a LB. No idea why either did not make it. I have heard that Lacy Brumley, a great OT from 1978 team blames CDF for him not getting a bigger look too. Not sure if that is true but he was a beast too.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic