Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here's a new question - streaming from satellite internet??
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Here's a new question - streaming from satellite internet??

Aug 7, 2019, 9:35 AM

So no high speed internet available - other than by Satellite...
currently have Hughes Net in package with Dish Network...
All packages for Satellite have a 'Cap' on download bandwidth per month (10 gig, 20 gig, etc.)

How fast will a Hulu / YouTube streaming service eat up that cap? Is it even a option for HD streaming?

Some of you seem to know a lot about this streaming stuff - help a farm feller out.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't be insinuating that a "farm fella" wouldn't know

Aug 7, 2019, 9:39 AM

about stuff like streaming!! :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sorry - help an OLD Rural un-techie out?***

Aug 7, 2019, 9:43 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's a new question - streaming from satellite internet??

Aug 7, 2019, 9:44 AM

terrier2® said:

So no high speed internet available - other than by Satellite...
currently have Hughes Net in package with Dish Network...
All packages for Satellite have a 'Cap' on download bandwidth per month (10 gig, 20 gig, etc.)

How fast will a Hulu / YouTube streaming service eat up that cap? Is it even a option for HD streaming?

Some of you seem to know a lot about this streaming stuff - help a farm feller out.

This ad says no hard data limits. Streaming does not require super high speed , but it does need consistent internet bandwidth. You will be a bit further behind live streaming without satellite . You have to add the "caching latency of streaming 5-6 seconds to the vsat latency 7-8 seconds. So you would be closet o 15-20 seconds behind live. I would at least try the free month offer from HULU and and start it in conjunction with your VSAT billing cycle and see how the bill shakes out.

https://www.satelliteinternetnow.com/?igp=8217&tel=1-844-299-7662&msclkid=5a5d263acefc1ab6dc407b701dac4bd9&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BRB%20-%20HUGHES%20-%20CON%20-%20BP%20-%20ENGLISH%20-%20HughesNet%20Internet%20-%20BMM%20-%20Priority&utm_term=%2Bhughesnet%20%2Binternet&utm_content=HughesNet%20Internet%20-%20BMM

Message was edited by: EssoClub2®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 7, 2019, 9:47 AM

It really depends on your viewing habits but this article says that average cord cutters are using 400mb per mth in data usage.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/05/charter-data-use-rising-rapidly-as-cord-cutters-average-400gb-a-month/

So the questions are 1) how much money will you save cutting off your Dish TV pkg vs How much more do you have to pay to get more data? And 2) Can Hughes give you consistent 15mb-20mb minimum wifi stream throughout your home to support streaming devices?

If you're not saving money or can't get consistent wifi to support streaming, I'm afraid you're stuck on the 'Matrix'. At least until 5G goes nationwide....that will eventually put an end to cable & dish providers as we currently know them. Everyone will get what they want from a cell signal and just mirror it to their TVs (this was told to me by my dad's Dish install guy so....)

HTH

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Problem number 2 - I can't get a cell signal...***

Aug 7, 2019, 9:54 AM

400 gigs - sat internet plan at max is 50 gig per month at

Aug 7, 2019, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Here's a new question - streaming from satellite internet?? ]

$150 - after 50 gig is slows to a crawl - I'm screwed

You need to be working anyway

Aug 7, 2019, 10:17 AM

Fields don't plow themselves. Cows aren't just going to bottle milk for you.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Aug 7, 2019, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Re: Here's a new question - streaming from satellite internet?? ]

400GB not 400mb.

Sounds about right.

Video uses a lot of data.

If he is really limited to 20gb of data per month, this isn't going to work out well for him.

Message was edited by: castaway®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"With 5G, everyone will get what they want from the cell tower"

Aug 7, 2019, 11:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Here's a new question - streaming from satellite internet?? ]

I will believe that when I see it! I'm only 3 or 4 miles from 3 different cell towers, and with 4G, I get about one bar signal strength inside my house. Thank goodness, I was recently able to activate wi-fi calling, and since I have 500 mb internet, it seems to work great!

So, you are saying 5G will greatly improve signal strength in rural areas??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "With 5G, everyone will get what they want from the cell tower"

Aug 7, 2019, 11:43 AM

Well, technically I'm saying what the DISH tech said.....which he then said he will be out of a job when 5G gets completely rolled out. I think 5G is only in a few HUGE markets now so signal strength in rural areas is probably an unknown ATM.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/09/tech/5g-network-us-cities/index.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "With 5G, everyone will get what they want from the cell tower"

Aug 7, 2019, 2:11 PM

5G is VERY line of site dependent which affects the signal's distance (extremely high frequencies resulting in really short wavelengths). The good news is that the 5G antennas will be small and service providers can saturate an area with unobtrusive antennas to cover places that aren't practical with current technologies. The idea is that 5G will eventually have a lot more transmitting/repeating antennas (small and relatively cheap) and will cover more places that don't get WiFi now.

I guess we will see how it all works out, but if 5G eventually does what is being discussed/hyped I can see 5G being everywhere (including remote areas not served by high speed Internet today) with speeds way faster than current cable Internet connections. The result of which will be the cable companies will no longer be the kings of the consumer high speed Internet market and a lot of cable operators will go out of business. Spectrum sees the writing on the wall and I believe that is why they are trying to get a foothold in the mobile phone business now (i.e Spectrum Mobile)...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok..so a couple things

Aug 7, 2019, 10:06 AM

1st. You'll eat through 20 gig pretty fast media streaming (videos, live TV, movies) consume the most data. Talk ...and text consume comparatively nothing vs media. That is why text and talk is almost always free for phone services.

Your cap is a threshold... once you hit 30 gig, you can still stream and the speed you are paying for. There isn't any difference. You just get in line behind the guy who hasn't got his threshold.

Your speed will determine the quality of your streaming...I believe Hughes only has 1 speed option.

Have you looked into Viasat? There are more options.

If you have a good , high quality, unlimited, mobile plan you may want to think about just adding another line... turn that line into a mobile hotspot, and then run off it....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

would be nice if I could get a cell signal :(***

Aug 7, 2019, 10:16 AM

How do you call people?

Aug 7, 2019, 10:18 AM

Smoke signals?

Kind of hard to answer your question without some details...

Aug 7, 2019, 10:46 AM

The amount of data a streaming service uses depends on how much TV you watch. So you need to figure the monthly average (i.e. hours) of TV viewing. For Playstation Vue you have the ability on mobile and android devices to throttle your data usage. A setting of Low Quality uses 1 GB of data every 2 hours, Medium Quality uses 1 GB of data every hour, and High Quality uses 1 GB of data every 30 minutes. I imagine the other services are very similar in data usage.

So....In a normal HD config you can expect a data usage of 1GB for every 30 minutes of viewing so to watch a typical Clemson game you can expect to use 7 to 8 GB of data. Something to also be aware of is your Internet data rate. Most live TV streaming services require at least 5Mbps or higher download speed for 1 stream of video. If you want to run 2 streams at once (i.e. 2 TV's the same time) most services recommend a 20Mbps or higher data rate. So, in addition to total data usage you will need to ensure your satellite Internet service is capable of maintaining a high enough data rate to keep the stream from sputtering and buffering.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

streaming ain't gonna be an option - gonna have to dump

Aug 7, 2019, 11:05 AM

dish for DirectTV if Dish don't sign up for the ACCN pronto.

As long as you don't care about CBS***

Aug 7, 2019, 11:35 AM

The Dude abides

Re: Kind of hard to answer your question without some details...

Aug 7, 2019, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Kind of hard to answer your question without some details... ]

This just sounds like I’m screwed. I have at&t internet/WiFi at home for 55. Month and then I pay Viasat at 100 per month for WiFi at the lake. I then pay direct tv 215 for service and 7 boxes 3 at the house and 4 at the lake.
I don’t want ant buffering and stuff when I watch tv nor do I want to have to pick and chose what I watch based on how much data has been used. I was really looking forward to getting rid of directv and saving some $$ as steve is getting ready to retire. Doesn’t seem like any good options

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jean, if you have decent wifi at both houses, why do you need

Aug 7, 2019, 10:17 PM

Direct TV? I don't have any buffering with YouTube TV, and I get every channel I want for $50. You can use the same account at both houses, if you don't have more than three devices running simultaneously. You can have six devices, just limited to three running at the same time. If that's a problem, get an account for each house, for a total cost of $100 per month.

Aug 7, 2019, 11:03 AM

I have Hughes net. It is terrible. I pay $129 a month. The latency is prohibitive to have any kind of games going (knew that before hand, but don't play games on internet so no problem). Paying so much for higher speed. Only get about 11 Mbps of the 50 they promised. Had them out three times to try and get it faster, but couldn't. Since I run an investment business from home, still needed the service. I mainly use it as a backup. I have cell service, but only one bar of five, so not good. Yet, it is still faster than hughes! That is my primary. It will be two years next month with Hughes, will replace with another system that runs off cell towers. Still researching, will give an update once decisions made. Strongly suggest not using Hughesnet for any streaming. Once you meet your limit, the speeds normally run around 1-2 Mbps! Not fast enough for hardly anything.

Aug 7, 2019, 11:46 AM

I have same thing at lake internet/WiFi by satelitte only. Hoping for good answer

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic