Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why Play The Game?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Why Play The Game?

Nov 8, 2019, 6:57 PM

If we are going to decide who participates in the final four by a committee, why do we need to play the actual games? We might as well use the pre-season polls and save a lot of gut wrenching misery. The final four, eight, sixteen, thirty two, sixty four or 128 should be determined on the field of play. Is it too simple to automatically include the winners of the Power 5 conferences championship games? This would eliminate the need for the "eye test", SOS, and the many other factors which no one can explain in evaluating the teams. And if we want an eight team playoff, invite the three best teams from the next level. North Dakota State appears to be a darn good team and there are a few others, App State, for example, who would give many Power 5 teams a fit.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree

Nov 8, 2019, 7:03 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, 8 Teams it is!

Nov 8, 2019, 7:21 PM

5 Big Boy Conference Winners & 3 Peewees.

LoL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree

Nov 8, 2019, 7:22 PM [ in reply to I agree ]

T3Tiger said:

P5 champs plus 3 at large. Take the bias of the pre-season rankings (even on the computer rankings and SOR). Only people that would be adversely affected are all the leeches that make money off of this whole process.

If the comeback against Syracuse last year had fallen short, the acc championship game would have been between Syracuse and Pitt. Anyone think either one of them would’ve been good enough to earn a spot in an eight team playoff? Also, it would make out of conference games pointless.

As it stands now we are playing a season full of conference

Nov 9, 2019, 12:38 AM

games that are pretty much pointless in the hopes that our OOC games are meaningful. If we can’t beat Syracuse do we deserve the chance to play for the title? Do you think the NFL will say “sorry Pittsburgh, we know you won your division/conference but we think the Patriots are a better team so we are putting them in”

The AP and Coaches polls should go away and have no rankings till the first committee poll. That would eliminate the majority of preseason bias. You don’t get credit for a top 10 win in week 1 when that team has lost 3-4 games come November.

I like the P5+3 format a lot. Gets all areas of the country

Nov 8, 2019, 7:29 PM

invested, and makes Conference championships really meaningful. Only downside might be it gives certain "powers that be" the ability to get 2, 3, or even 4 SEC schools in every year. And I'm sure they'd try it.

plus it makes the regular season games not nearly as

Nov 9, 2019, 12:48 AM

important. You could lose a couple of games, maybe even 2 or 3 games and still win the championship

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why Play The Game?

Nov 8, 2019, 7:46 PM

I think it’s simple. If they eliminate the BS, then the SEC becomes the same as everyone else. Only the SEC has an Executive Committee of BS, a Chairman of the Board of BS, a Minister of BS and a Steering Committee of BS.

this is how the Heisman is done

Nov 8, 2019, 7:48 PM

they pretty much decide it in August

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: this is how the Heisman is done

Nov 8, 2019, 7:58 PM

You know Joe Burrow was a 35-1 shot in Vegas in August, right?

Now, I don't think he's that special. Tigers just start the 3 WRs in a bunch set, run divergent patterns and throw to the guy left wide open. Seems pretty low-skilled. But yet everyone is talking him up in November, so I guess they need an alternative to Tua and Trevor.

All 8 does is give the secites 4 teams in the playoff. An

Nov 8, 2019, 8:05 PM

alternative would be to go with 6 teams: The 5 conference champs and the best non-power 5 team. That would stop all the "best conference" crap and narrow the speculation down to which are the top two teams and which is the best non-power 5 team. Easy peasy!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

certainly with 6 teams the SEC and BIG champs get

Nov 9, 2019, 12:49 AM

byes

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2019, 10:30 PM

Why exactly would the power 5 conference champions have automatic bids to the playoff and not every conference champion if SOS is a worthless metric?

Why are they referred to as "power" 5?

Nov 9, 2019, 1:17 AM

What I don't like is the AP and USA/Coaches polls. People say they don't matter but when it comes time for the CFP committee. It seems they work off of where they were ranked and boost whomever won or had a close loss. They always start off with a bunch of SEC teams ranked. When one SEC team beats another it shoots them up the ladder and when one loses they don't drop them as far because of their early rankings. It is just so obviously bias and wrong.

Message was edited by: The Doorman®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic