Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Will be a very unpopular opinion
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Will be a very unpopular opinion

Sep 22, 2019, 5:17 PM

But it’s just how feel. The starters deserve to play more than one quarter in games like this. 9 passing attempts for TL. I get subbing heavily in the second half but the start of the second quarter? People really want to spend hundreds of dollars on tickets and parking to watch backups the majority of the game ?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will be a very unpopular opinion

Sep 22, 2019, 5:21 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But, if you didn’t expect that, given the opponent and our coaching staff’s philosophy you missed something. For me, I love seeing the young guys play. Since we don’t get to see them practice it is our only vision into the future.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gave you your 3,000th TU***

Sep 22, 2019, 9:03 PM

null

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2019, 5:21 PM

I totally get what you're saying but it's Clemson football , and if you can win a football game and save a lot of bodies for tougher times , why wouldn't you ?
I enjoyed watching the backups olay last night , and I thought that it was pretty good football being played .
I can understand your point about the expense of it all , but One Clemson and All In right ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 22, 2019, 5:26 PM

The crazy thing about it is that there isn't a huge drop off in talent when you replace T.L. and TE. Chase can start on almost any other program. And Lynn J can tear apart most defenses. And the two freshman wide outs are superb.

well...

Sep 22, 2019, 5:23 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you paid hundreds for that ticket?***

Sep 22, 2019, 5:23 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

I think he probably paid hundreds...

Sep 22, 2019, 5:28 PM

for the purple he’s smoking.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2019, 5:26 PM

If this was a professional sport, you would have a point. However, for me, this is Clemson. They are my team, and that means the starters and the backups and the scout team. I don't pay hundreds of dollars for tickets to see my team win, I go to the games because I love my team. That they are winning now is a blessing beyond my expectations... I like it... a lot... but my love for Clemson football has nothing to do with their winning or losing and I was overjoyed to see our coaches play everybody, although they did leave a few trainers and water boys on the bench.

Sep 22, 2019, 5:28 PM

You are correct that it is an unpopular opinion, at least in my opinion. This is the style of coaching that has led to Clemson's success. First, it about the team which includes the ones on the scout team and even the scout team back ups. Second, it develops experience and playing time which can and has made a difference, plu the coaches get to see the players in game situations. THird, it helps recruiting by showint the recruits they will get to play, Fourth, it shows the recruits Clemson has a true family atmosphere.

I am sure there are many more positives, but most important it's part of Clemson's winning style.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2019, 5:29 PM

Dabo has to build the team. When the opportunity to build the team is there, he has to take it. That opportunity is not likely to present itself in every game. Put another way, he’s forfeiting dimes, nickels & quarters now, because the payoff is bus loads of “C” notes at the end of the season.

Sep 22, 2019, 8:54 PM

I thought it was r notes like in Rings.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2019, 5:31 PM

When our coaches start screwing up I'll complain. Given what they have done in recent years I think its going to be a while before I do that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't spend hundreds on parking and tickets,

Sep 22, 2019, 5:34 PM

I spend thousands. And I don't pay to watch starters OR back-ups. I pay to watch CLEMSON!

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Sep 22, 2019, 5:37 PM

Allowing these guys playing time will be very valuable down the line, just look at last year for an example. It’s all about family here... and championships.

Sep 22, 2019, 5:40 PM

When a starter goes down you will be glad the back ups are ready.

Sep 22, 2019, 6:37 PM

Depends on how much he paid for his ticket. If he got it cheap he might not care

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 22, 2019, 5:45 PM

There are fan bases in Columbia, Knoxville that would give anything to have that problem. Enjoy it.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't forget Tallahassee...***

Sep 22, 2019, 9:53 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2019, 5:48 PM

You paid hundreds of dollars for Charlotte? If so I got some Wofford tickets I'm willing to sell you.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Sep 22, 2019, 5:49 PM

I know what you mean but if we had kept in the starters til the 3rd quarter we may have been up 60 by then. Our starters get more competition in practice than they were getting last night.

Sep 22, 2019, 5:50 PM

What Coach Swinney is doing with roster management is why we’re such a dominant team in the playoffs, go back and look at the score at the end of the 2015 season. After the 2015 season is when the change was made to play more players and it was the right move, our defense was worn out by season end in 2015, without this philosophy we have zero nattys.

^^^ #1 reason I don't mind paying up.***

Sep 22, 2019, 6:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 22, 2019, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Will be a very unpopular opinion ]

What Coach Swinney is doing with roster management is why we’re such a dominant team in the playoffs,

You said “dominant team,” not “dominate team.” You are a little ray of light in a grammatically darkening world....

Re: Will be a very unpopular opinion***

Sep 22, 2019, 7:01 PM

Good. Most people have no problem with it, and in fact,

Sep 22, 2019, 5:54 PM

I bet most people, like myself love seeing the back ups play. Besides, it benefits our team tremendously, which all fans love, and if you don't understand and appreciate that, you're just not paying attention.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

As any good Trekkie knows......

Sep 22, 2019, 5:55 PM

Re: As any good Trekkie knows......

Sep 22, 2019, 6:38 PM

Or the one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Sep 22, 2019, 6:06 PM

The beauty of executive function is the ability to see the big picture when working towards a desired goal. Not everyone has this ability, but Dabo excels at. He subs early and often every week to help save wear and tear on starters over the coarse of a long season and to put backups in situations where the game is still on the line so they're mentally prepared and completely ready if a starter can't play. This also pays huge dividends on the recruiting front when the coaches can show recruits they have a real opportunity to contribute even if they don't become an immediate starter. Playing 4th and 5th string guys in the 4th quarter last night was a reward to those guys for everything they do to help this team get better each week and I personally enjoyed seeing them have an opportunity to play.

Sep 22, 2019, 6:06 PM

Deleted by author.

Sep 22, 2019, 6:12 PM

I also completely understand what you're thoughts on this topic, but As Dabo has stated before:
TEAM WORK MAKES THE DREAM WORK.
Plus, yesterday was Parents Day at Clemson. Think about what it meant to the parents who may have a son that has not normally seen much, if any PT. I think playing so many early was perfect timing.

It was just one game. Some of those boys who got

Sep 22, 2019, 6:40 PM

to play tonight might not see playing time again this season. Dabo's letting them all know they're appreciated. The starters get to know that every game.

Sep 22, 2019, 6:48 PM

I see where you're coming from. You have to draw a fine line between getting all of your backups meaningful reps so they're ready if they're called on and making sure your starters have enough energy to play a whole game. I definitely think Dabo needs to leave the starters in for some games so they don't get gassed in the playoffs, but I think this was one of Clemson's easiest games and was a good chance to let a ton of players play. You might see me complain more if the starters are pulled that early every game from here-on-out, but I trust Dabo and the coordinators and don't think they will be.

Sep 22, 2019, 7:08 PM

But it’s just how feel. The starters deserve to play more than one quarter in games like this. 9 passing attempts for TL. I get subbing heavily in the second half but the start of the second quarter? People really want to spend hundreds of dollars on tickets and parking to watch backups the majority of the game ?

Could you be any more selfish? You spend a few dollars but the backups invest their blood sweat and tears. Let them have their moment in the sun.

Sep 22, 2019, 7:41 PM

I'm willing to bet not one starter is disappointed that everyone got some play time yesterday. They practice with everyone day in and out, weight room, film room, eat, etc. They live and breathe with each other 24/7 - they love each other. You can't convince me that some starter is pissed that he didn't get more playtime.

Like most, I was expecting a blow out and knew that a lot of folks would get to come in. Hell, I wanted to see Phommachanh and others. If you want more 1st stringer time, pick a different game.

Some of the reasons your opinion is flawed:

Sep 22, 2019, 7:49 PM

1) You paid good money to watch the starters beat an outmatched team 100-0!?! That's fun for you?

2) And if TL gets hurt? I'm sure you're praising the coaches for keeping him in the game?

3) I literally only watched the second half to watch the back-ups play. It was awesome to see kids who would never get in the game otherwise get to take a snap or try to make a play. I'm sure it is huge for morale. There is no way I would have watched the second half if all we were doing was padding TL and ETN's stats. I would have been embarrassed, honestly.

4) Yet another reason Dabo is a championship level coach and none of us are. Morale is probably sky high, today's articles are about how 111 players played, not how Clemson ran the score up on a developing program. Recruiting will continue to be stellar unless some blue chipper is demanding to play every down...so far, that has not happened.

5) They're college kids, no pros. Get out of the mindset that you're buying a ticket to see TL...go watch and support Clemson.

null

Message removed by author.....

Sep 22, 2019, 8:20 PM

Boi...

Sep 22, 2019, 8:21 PM

Sep 22, 2019, 9:39 PM

Not only unpopular opinion but a bit shortsighted and wrong. Lots of college coaches play their starters more. None of them win more than Dabo.

Sep 22, 2019, 9:47 PM

It was Charlotte and everyone knew the game was going to be a glorified scrimmage.
No need to totally embarrass a lesser team like that and absolutely no need to risk injury on our super stars .
A fresh TL, ETN, Higgins , Ross and company
Means pain for whoever the CFP throws at us.

hey, I flew from L.A. for this game. I would’ve liked to have seen the

Sep 22, 2019, 9:51 PM

starters for a wee bit more, but i’m totally onboard with saving ‘em and putting the young bucks in. planning for the future.

Sep 22, 2019, 9:56 PM

If you paid hundreds to go to that game that's on you. I saw tickets everywhere for $25 to $40. If the starters don't mind I don't either. Dabo knows what he's doing building depth. Getting this ream ready for another playoff run. Go Tiger's!

Sep 22, 2019, 10:04 PM

I bought a single ticket for $25. Then my brother in law gave one with them while we were walking to game. I saw a beautiful lady looking to buy a single ticket. She was the mom of a walk on and didnt have a ticket. At first I asked for 20 then when I saw her ask a scalper about one.... I cioudnt let her pay a scalper so I gave her the extra..

All I said was "clemson family.... go tigers"
Beautiful classy lady and 25 well spent!!

Sep 22, 2019, 10:04 PM

I bought a single ticket for $25. Then my brother in law gave one with them while we were walking to game. I saw a beautiful lady looking to buy a single ticket. She was the mom of a walk on and didnt have a ticket. At first I asked for 20 then when I saw her ask a scalper about one.... I cioudnt let her pay a scalper so I gave her the extra..

All I said was "clemson family.... go tigers"
Beautiful classy lady and 25 well spent!!

Sep 23, 2019, 11:39 AM

It's a long season, resting your starters, getting the young players game experience. Having the next man up ready. I'm ALL IN .

But as a bonus...

Sep 23, 2019, 12:22 PM

...we got to see backups play in the National Championship game
in a blowout against ALABAMA.

Our guys get the best reps in practice!

Sep 23, 2019, 12:35 PM

The depth is such at Clemson now - the game doesn't always guarantee player X will get the best look at certain situations "in the game"!
In the event we win another NC doing it this way; you will see everyone go this route instead of keeping your starters in to run the score up.
Why risk TL getting hurt when you have the game won? Or Travis Etienne? Or any starter when you have basically taken control of the game.
They play in close games may as well let them play in the blowouts too. Plus, the moral factor and the work factor it creates does not allow for a starter to sit back and "rest"! They will have to keep bringing it or will get replaced or start splitting time if someone else is more consistent.

Clemson's reputation is such if we aren't hanging 70 something on a team folks in the committee know what CU is capable of. In fact, playing all those players allows you to have closer blowouts w/o anyone questioning things!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you feel that way, fine, but don't try to frame it like

Sep 23, 2019, 12:30 PM

"the starters deserve better than playing one quarter" then turn around in the same breath and say "People really want to spend hundreds of dollars on tickets and parking to watch backups the majority of the game ?"

This wasn't about the players, it was about you. The players probably knew going into it what the substitution rate would be, and it's part of the culture that a lot of guys get to play every week so they knew what they were signing up for. It's about 'team' and they respect that because it builds depth, which is why we crushed Alabama.

Sorry you feel cheated but when it pays dividends in December and January you'll feel better.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic