Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Purple Out Shirts, my view on the controversy and the change
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Purple Out Shirts, my view on the controversy and the change

Nov 18, 2013, 12:34 PM

It is absolutely ridiculous that Clemson has changed the design of our "Purple Out" shirt for military appreciation day. The original shirt, chosen by a panel of judges including many involved in the military as well as a two time purple heart recipient, was purple, with the words “2013 Clemson Tigers Purple Out, Purple Heart: Solid Orange,” and the letter O in Out was shaped like a Purple Heart medal. The shirts were designed with good intentions to honor and appreciate those who have served our country, including a purple heart recipient on the Clemson football team. Proceeds from shirt sales were to be given to support veterans and active duty military as well as support Clemson's ROTC and Student Veterans Association programs. The sale of the shirts and image of the Purple Heart on the shirt were not only legal, but the organizers of the event even contacted the U.S. Department of Defense to make sure and were told that it wasn't disrespectful. There are laws for using the Purple Heart, but these laws were not broken by Clemson. Several websites online sell Purple Heart merchandise and in 2012 the Supreme Court made it legal to buy and sell actual Purple Hearts. Clemson was not selling actual Purple Hearts, only shirts representing them to memorialize those who have served by celebrating them, not disgrace actual Purple Heart recipients or misrepresent the wearer of the shirt as a Purple Heart Recipient. Does wearing an athlete's jersey to a game make you that athlete? No, of course not, it only shows your support for him/her.

However, a South Carolina fan unaffiliated with the military or Clemson, with the sole intention of stirring up controversy started a Facebook page demanding the Purple Out shirt design be changed because of the presence of the Purple Heart on a civilian shirt was found (in his opinion) to be offensive, despite multiple military veterans and a two time Purple Heart recipient being on the design selection committee and all the above information I've talked about, and this week, Clemson officially changed the design of the shirt and removed the Purple Heart design and stopped selling the Purple Heart shirts.

Clemson is a college with a rich military tradition, as it was originally a military school. We have honored a Purple Heart recipient after the first quarter of every home football game this year and it has meant the world to them and their families. I see no problem with the use of the Purple Heart on our military appreciation day shirts to honor our military and I am not the only one who agrees with this. Nobody is wearing the shirts falsely claiming to be a Purple Heart recipient, it is simply about honoring our military. It is completely legal, unlike Northwestern's American flag football uniforms they wore last week that blatantly violated the U.S. flag code Title 4 Chapter 8 Section (j), that were also being sold by the university and Under Armour for $70, and only $7.50 of this was being donated to the Wounded Warrior Project. If Northwestern is allowed to wear illegal football uniforms and make an immense profit off of them, why can't Clemson fans wear shirts honoring the military that raise money that is actually being given to support the military all because a South Carolina fan cares more about making Clemson look bad than anything else? It is ridiculous, and I will proudly wear the original shirt with the Purple Heart on it this Saturday, not claiming to be a recipient of the award, but to show support for the recipients of the award, our military and veterans, and all who have served, for my dad, for my grandfather, for Daniel Rodriguez, and for America because I have the freedom to do that, and to type this, and for that I am thankful and I'm going to show that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you. Could you provide the Facebook link please?***

Nov 18, 2013, 12:48 PM

It got deleted when the shirt design was changed this week***

Nov 18, 2013, 12:58 PM

When I got my Citadel ticket today

Nov 18, 2013, 1:22 PM

They were giving those shirts out to students. You could see where they screen printed a paw over the Purple Heart. Nothing against wearing a Paw, but we had this great design to honor our students, alumni, fans, faculty, and members of our community who have earned the Purple Heart, including one who will be playing on the field Saturday, and someone tries to make us look bad. Previous military appreciation day shirts have had the Clemson Corps seal on it. I've worn those shirts, despite not being in Clemson ROTC, and no one was offended. It's a way to honor, and we should've stuck to our guns and kept it the way it was.

Re: Purple Out Shirts, my view on the controversy and the change

Nov 18, 2013, 1:48 PM

I can't believe Clemson caved and changed the design because some yahoo on facebook demanded it.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 18, 2013, 2:06 PM

Agree 100%. As a Clemson graduate, Class of '63, Vietnam veteran, and retired LTC, I did not see any disrespect in the Purple Out shirt. I only disrespect, and consider the source, of this "coot" s##t. Tigers whip their Azzes.

Nov 18, 2013, 2:08 PM

I know some good coots & they'd never object to the original shirts.

Nov 18, 2013, 2:15 PM

So sick of how one person being offended ruins it for everyone. People today are crazy! My opinion is.....if you don't like the way we do thing in this country then move the heck back from where you came!!!!

It wasn't just one person

Nov 18, 2013, 2:24 PM

Whoever started the facebook page had several veterans in the group saying they felt it was disrespectful. They're welcome to their opinion; I'm welcome to think it's wrong. I'm not defending the person who started the group or his/her demands that caused the shirt to be changed, because I agree with the original poster that the shirts were in no way offensive.

It's because they were coots.

Nov 18, 2013, 9:12 PM

Coots will do anything to stick it to Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Problem is...it wasn't just one person.

Nov 18, 2013, 2:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Purple Out Shirts, my view on the controversy and the change ]

One sad, pathetic cockfan started the page and totally misrepresented what Clemson was doing. It spread like wildfire because more and more gamecocks shared it. KEEP THE PURPLE HEART SACRED. Like most of the emotional crap on facebook, non-football fans didn't bother to investigate the story. They were simply content to focus on the headline and proclaim that Clemson was wrong.

The whole thing makes me want to ##### slap every cockfan I know.

Re: Problem is...it wasn't just one person.

Nov 18, 2013, 10:52 PM

one more reason not to deal with the idiots in Columbia.

Well, I bought the early version and will wear it Saturday.

Nov 18, 2013, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Problem is...it wasn't just one person. ]

I hope one of the offended dpeckers confronts me. I am pretty stressed out right now. It would be fun.

Re: Well, I bought the early version and will wear it Saturday.

Nov 18, 2013, 11:02 PM

I hope you have a firearm.

Apparently, that's what it takes to get by in Columbia these days...

I do.***

Nov 18, 2013, 11:05 PM

Caving in to someone being offended is why the nation is

Nov 18, 2013, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Re: Purple Out Shirts, my view on the controversy and the change ]

sadly going downhill.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm going to draw a purple heart on my shirt.

Nov 18, 2013, 2:58 PM

Try and stop me!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed and more than proud that I got one before they

Nov 18, 2013, 7:23 PM

changed the design, so I can wear it.

And the other thing I don't like is that they changed the slogan on the shirt too - now it says Solid Orange.... whatever. It said Purple Heart:Solid Orange which was WAY better!

Photobucket

& welcome to America. Land where the offended not

Nov 18, 2013, 7:24 PM

be offended any more.

Photobucket

Thank you for your post. Based on your information, I

Nov 18, 2013, 7:32 PM

don't understand why Clemson would have made the changes, based on some yahoo numbnut's comments on FB or anywhere else for that matter.

If nothing else, caving in to some griping by some Chicken fan should have steeled nerves, for you can bet the SOB's are laughing their putrid as$es off....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I ####### hate coots.***

Nov 18, 2013, 9:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

#### all USuCk fans, and any CU fan that listens to them.***

Nov 18, 2013, 9:19 PM

New and old shirt designs in case anyone was wondering (pic)

Nov 18, 2013, 9:27 PM

Paw and "Purple Out" screen printed right over the Purple Heart picture and words.

Re: New and old shirt designs in case anyone was wondering (pic)

Nov 18, 2013, 10:53 PM

thanks for posting these pics.

FWIW, I saw original design shirts in Tiger Sports Shop

Nov 19, 2013, 7:58 AM [ in reply to New and old shirt designs in case anyone was wondering (pic) ]

on Thursday evening before the GT game. There weren't many of them, but they were there.

As a Purple Heart Recipient

Nov 19, 2013, 1:10 AM

I was against it months ago. Then I changed my mind and posted on here a few weeks ago. I am going to wear purple sweatshirt and pin my Purple Heart (Vietnam) on it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1 of my supply sgt's had 2 from 'nam. both in 1 year. he was

Nov 19, 2013, 1:16 AM

in the big red 1, as a 60 gunner while he was there. 1 while taking a whiz, them bastages !

Why originally against it ? Just curious - not flaming.***

Nov 19, 2013, 8:01 AM [ in reply to As a Purple Heart Recipient ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Why originally against it ? Just curious - not flaming.***

Nov 19, 2013, 12:22 PM

It just hit me as making something commercial about a medal earned by shedding blood on a battlefield. The more I thought about it, I concluded it is meant to honor the medal. I changed my mind and support the effort.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll be wearing the orig. shirt too.***

Nov 19, 2013, 4:05 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is ridiculous that we continue to cave to minorities on

Nov 19, 2013, 8:05 AM

certain issues. I keep hearing, if one person is offended, we need to consider his or her feelings. Bull crap!! ONE PERSON! Are you kidding me? I realize minority opinions matter, but we have gone way too far to try and keep EVERYONE happy.

Re: It is ridiculous that we continue to cave to minorities on

Nov 19, 2013, 9:44 PM

If this is the case, then Mitch Romney won the election since he was in the minority.

Re: It is ridiculous that we continue to cave to minorities on

Nov 19, 2013, 10:05 PM [ in reply to It is ridiculous that we continue to cave to minorities on ]

agree!! absolutely stupid!! feeling be ####!!

Nov 19, 2013, 11:12 AM

Problem is......you could wear a green shirt with a pig on it and somebody this day and time would be offended.....

what are you suggesting?***

Nov 19, 2013, 1:38 PM

Nov 19, 2013, 1:51 PM

funny how the purple heart shirt offends them, but shirts with "My #### is Smelley" and "You Can't beat our #####" doesn't.

Another reason that SC People will Never Understand Clemson

Nov 19, 2013, 3:03 PM

& its great and unique history of military heritage & sacrifice to our Nation..putting out more officers in WW2 than anyone other than West Point & aTm...which puts Clemson over VMI, The Citadel & many other fine military institutions.

GoTiGERs..kick some Chickens at Willie B and bring South Carolina state football back to where it's always belonged.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dad's 1941 class lost one third

Nov 19, 2013, 9:46 PM

Of them as casualties.

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic