Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I Think Georgetown! Should Join The ACC ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 979

I Think Georgetown! Should Join The ACC ...

Jan 21, 2013, 8:30 PM

as a Basketball/Olympic sports member. Look, since the Turtles are leaving, a huge TV market void is created for the ACC. Since ND is joining the ACC, primarily as a Basketball/Olympic Sports member (yes, I know, 5 ACC Football games a year)... the addition of Georgetown would round out the league to 16 for Basketball, bring the DC market BACK to the ACC (for Basketball and Olympic Sports anyway).

NOW, in the meantime ...

Georgetown could start a D-1 Football Program... in several years, they could then have a big-time football program!, and join the ACC proper (along with ND) ....

Facilities? Big Bucks you might say? Nein!!! The old RFK Stadium, old home of the Washington Redskins, is flapping in the breeze in DC. The facility, with a little renovation, would rival anything in the ACC currently.

I like my idea, I am going to write a letter to the ACC, Georgetown, and the Washington Post.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I Think Georgetown! Should Join The ACC ...

Jan 21, 2013, 8:33 PM

Is this a joke? Its either a joke or your a #### scok.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I Am Serious

Jan 21, 2013, 8:37 PM

I think its a good idea. Whats wrong with it?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just think thats a bad idea.

Jan 21, 2013, 8:46 PM

If we are wanting the ACC to become a better conference overall, adding basketball schools and then hoping they make a d-1 football team and then NEEDING them to become a decent d-1 football team in just a few years is not the way to do it.

Georgetown is a basketball school, and always will be IMO, even if they did start a football team and used the old Redskins stadium, doesnt mean they are gonig to fill the stadium. It would probably look rather pathetic, this is why smaller schools build 20,000 seat stadiums, instead of thinking theyll build a 80,000 seat stadium and people will just show up.

The way you improve the ACC is going after football schools that are relatively close, and already have an established football program, and that could join in all sports. If the ACC somehow got ND to join in football too, then it would be HUGE for the conference (not that I see that happening with them making it to the title game this year as an independent)

they have a great football stadium....seats about 3k***

Jan 21, 2013, 9:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They could play at RFK Stadium, 55K+ capacity***

Jan 21, 2013, 10:12 PM

Jan 21, 2013, 9:39 PM

One of the problems with adding Georgetown as a basketball-only member is that the ACC would be stuck if Notre Dame decide to join in all sports.

Jan 21, 2013, 9:52 PM

many more problems that that. BTW ND isnt joining in football. wont be happening - ever.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2013, 9:40 PM

What about Towson or the Naval Academy as a replacement for Maryland?

Coach Randy Edsal and the new uniforms really changed the program around.

Jan 21, 2013, 9:43 PM

Not sure why that stupid administration got rid of Coach Friedgen.

Jan 22, 2013, 12:11 AM

I saw a study recently that a school moving into
Division 1 would need an investment of 175MM over a 10 year period to compete.

Not sure that Georgetown has the desire to invest 17.5 or .175 on college football. The demand is not even close to being there.

As a Georgetown Fan

Jan 22, 2013, 12:55 AM

This will never happen. We are struggling to fund raise for a $60 mil basketball facility. There is also little to no interest in the football program from both students and alumni. If you invited us as a basketball only school to offset the ND football only, that would have been an option. I doubt there would be any interest in this now that we have broken off and about so sign a new contract for the new big east.

Replies: 11
| visibility 979
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic