Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
As a CFB fan, the fact that Eagles TD was even reviewed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

As a CFB fan, the fact that Eagles TD was even reviewed

Feb 5, 2018, 9:46 AM

is baffling to me. Catch the ball at the 5, take 3 steps toward the endzone, easily cross the goalline with football in clear possession the entire time until the player hit the ground (which by rule cannot cause a fumble at any level).

What's even worse is that everyone is so confused by what constitutes a catch in the NFL that even the announcers are looking for little idiosyncrasies to find fault in the play to argue against it. Then, when the Officials actually call it a TD, they say "I give up"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

I thought it was crystal clear that he was not falling down

Feb 5, 2018, 12:22 PM

during the process of the catch, but rather diving for the end zone after making a clean catch and taking 3 steps (as you mentioned).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: I thought it was crystal clear that he was not falling down

Feb 5, 2018, 10:00 AM

Yea it really was nothing like the Pitt game. He had made the catch and was a runner.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2018, 12:23 PM

Except the Pitt player made the catch and purposefully extended the ball over the goal line.

They both should have been catches.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2018, 12:46 PM

Yes but he never made a football move so he was still in the process of the catch. He was falling down while catching the ball.

all scoring plays are reviewed***

Feb 5, 2018, 10:01 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: all scoring plays are reviewed***

Feb 5, 2018, 11:13 AM

Thats not the issue. I think the announcers convoluted the whole thing to make it controversial. Controversy = high ratings.

But good lord, they were so bad. I dont know how the announcers could sit there and say it was "obviously not a catch" and then go on a long spiel talking about how the Patriots were clearly going to win.

I don't think I've heard any more bias and BS from a sports announcer, except for Jesse Palmer and his "clemson-ing" speech.

I thought in CFB they review every single play?***

Feb 5, 2018, 10:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: As a CFB fan, the fact that Eagles TD was even reviewed

Feb 5, 2018, 10:55 AM

The catch must be completed, so although the ground doesn't cause a "fumble", it can cause an incomplete catch. Last night the player, as I saw it only took two steps and dove for the end zone. The refs said that those two steps then made him a runner and that when the ball crossed the place of the end zone it was a TD. I agreed with Chris Collingsworth that he had no idea what the refs were going to call because they have not been very consistent.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought it was that Chris Collingsworth has no clue

Feb 5, 2018, 11:05 AM

what he is talking about.

He tried his best to overturn two (2) TDs by the Eagles, but the officials were not swayed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

The first one should have been overturned IMO***

Feb 5, 2018, 11:07 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Yeah, it's hard to believe they would try to say that first

Feb 5, 2018, 11:10 AM [ in reply to I thought it was that Chris Collingsworth has no clue ]

one wasn't a catch when the receiver never controlled the ball. Oh wait...

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

The first one was 50-50 and while I would probably rule...

Feb 5, 2018, 11:13 AM [ in reply to I thought it was that Chris Collingsworth has no clue ]

...that it wasn't a TD it was 50-50 and could have gone either way but since it was called a TD by the refs then I guess you go with that. On the second one, the received took three steps not two but it's neither here nor there.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All I can say is the announcers were a joke....

Feb 5, 2018, 11:09 AM

...They've been involved in how many NFL broadcasts but were creating drama when it was clearly a touchdown. There was never a question but the ref do normally review the TD....we just didn't need the BS drama from the broadcast booth. Idiots!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2018, 11:14 AM

Yeah but a few years ago Dez Bryant caught the ball and dove for the pylon but ruled no catch. I don't know why but I just can't stomach watching NFL football anymore. I have lost all interest in it,but not because of little things like this.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree - don’t watch, can’t watch - just NO interest......

Feb 5, 2018, 11:28 AM

unless DW4 is playing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Feb 5, 2018, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: As a CFB fan, the fact that Eagles TD was even reviewed ]

Dez didn't dive for the pylon, he jumped for the pass and was falling to the ground and stretched out his arm and the ball hit the ground and popped out.

Ertz actually possessed the ball and of his own movement dove for the end zone.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah, who wants to see the best players in the world play

Feb 5, 2018, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Re: As a CFB fan, the fact that Eagles TD was even reviewed ]

at the highest level anyway

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2018, 8:47 PM [ in reply to Re: As a CFB fan, the fact that Eagles TD was even reviewed ]

It's because Bryant's body was already in the motion of falling to the ground when he made the catch. Ertz made the catch then turned upfield which then turned him into a runner.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Every scoring play is reviewed.***

Feb 5, 2018, 11:33 AM

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Can we please go back to possession with two feet?

Feb 5, 2018, 12:12 PM

If it means more catch-fumbles, so be it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2018, 12:21 PM

After the catch, the receiver pulled the ball toward the back of his body as he continued toward the goal line BEFORE extending it across.
This, to me, is what clearly constituted him becoming a runner and the fabricated controversy was a non-issue.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 5, 2018, 7:46 PM

Pats were cheated? Oh the irony.

Feb 5, 2018, 8:29 PM

Exactly Jtiger.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic