Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So who is mass producing the Charlie Bauman (# 58) jerseys
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

So who is mass producing the Charlie Bauman (# 58) jerseys

Dec 9, 2019, 7:32 PM

before the big game? Would love to see a bunch of Clemson fans wearing those on National TV. Would be comical considering how much Ohio state still idolizes that buffoon Woody Hayes.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So who is mass producing the Charlie Bauman (# 58) jerseys

Dec 9, 2019, 7:38 PM

This year’s bandwagon tOSU fans will have no idea what that means.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Bandwagon fans may not, but OSU students know who he is.

Dec 9, 2019, 7:43 PM

They have a statue of him in front of their football facility. Unbelievable considering he was fired for his actions.

After Woodies Firing He....

Dec 9, 2019, 7:54 PM

still got a great deal of respect from the coaches etc. Danny Ford told me recently that he hated that Woodie went out that way. He said they weren't aware of what happened until about 2:30 that morning .

Coach Ford said that a few months later Woodie was giving a coaching seminar and it was standing room only .

Charlie Bauman changed his last name and won't talk about the incident .

He was a grizzled ol' coach as were many in hi day. Bear Bryant come to mind as well . I read that Wooodie did a lot for charities etc. As with all of our lives one stupid mistake shouldn't be the defining moment that the main narrative of our lives.

Now as to wearing the jersey...heck I'd do it..it would be pretty funny

I agree he was definitely from a different era of coaching.

Dec 9, 2019, 8:04 PM

Still doesn't excuse throwing a punch at a player- on the other team no less. Worse than the punch was his reluctance (bull headedness) to ever apologize to Charlie or either university. Strange. I guess he thought he was above reproach. Either way he doesn't deserve a statue imho.

As I understand it, Coach Hayes had some blood sugar

Dec 9, 2019, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Bandwagon fans may not, but OSU students know who he is. ]

problems the last few years as a coach, and it led to some instability. That said, he was an old school coach, not afraid to manhandle a player. It was a lot different back then. A lot of power schools got away with some heavy handed treatment of players.

A book called "Meat on the Hoof" is a true story of Texas football under Coach Darrell Royal. People would be put in jail today for such treatment of players

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meat On The Hoof....

Dec 9, 2019, 8:09 PM

I read that book a loooooog time ago . Didn't they play a game at Texas called Coo-Coo . Where one player was blind folded and under a desk,he'd stick his head out and say coo-coo...and the dude on top of the desk also blindfolded would try to smack him with a rolled up newspaper .

Don’t know why, but coo coo reminds me of Rocky

Dec 9, 2019, 8:36 PM

Trying to catch the chicken.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was a sophomore at Clemson in 1978, and I sat in a

Dec 9, 2019, 7:49 PM

restaurant telling my life story to Woody Hayes, his wife and another Ohio State coach about 5 hours before the game. Woody asked me why I picked Clemson, and wanted to know all about our University.

I did not know that Coach Hayes had hit Charlie Bauman until the next morning. From my seat in the end zone with my fellow Clemson students, all I saw were penalty flags on Ohio State. I didn't know what had happened until the next morning when I left Jacksonville on my way to Greenville and the DJ on the radio said "the coach gets canned", and I finally heard what happened. I didn't see the replay until I got home and saw it at the halftime of the Falcons/Cowboys playoff game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was a sophomore at Clemson in 1978, and I sat in a

Dec 9, 2019, 9:08 PM

Same here. Sat in the endzone. Didn’t know the details until late that night. We were surprised to find out the next day he had been fired. Best thing about the trip was Frank Howard was following us down in another vehicle and talked to us for an extended period on the CB radio. That was a cool voice to listen to.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic