Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This years hoops team reminds me of a Cliff Ellis project
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 846

This years hoops team reminds me of a Cliff Ellis project

Feb 17, 2017, 3:53 PM

... a talented, yet inconsistent group of players assembled from widely disparate places, combining a broad mixture of skill and ability with great potential.

Cliff routinely put together a team like this and nurtured it along until it bloomed about every three years and then they left and he started over.

You can almost sense that this group has the talent to jell into something really good with the addition of perhaps one great recruit.

Does Brad Brownell have the time left to nurture this team? Can he actually recruit that one great difference maker?

It appears that time is quickly running out ...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not a bad comparison, actually.....

Feb 17, 2017, 3:57 PM

there are some obvious similarities

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not a bad comparison, actually.....

Feb 17, 2017, 4:15 PM

Except with Ellis we'd regularly lose by 30 to 50 to other ACC clubs and have talent that wasn't competitive at the ACC level. Like having a starting PG who couldn't shoot or drive and didn't try so he didn't need to be defended.

Those 50 point losses have been rare under Brownell.

Even Ellis' regular season ACC championship team lost to Ga Tech by around 20 the last game of the regular season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a very broad and fairly inaccurate statement.

Feb 17, 2017, 5:19 PM

Cliff Ellis certainly had teams and players who were highly competitive at the ACC level.

You should probably do some looking back through the records. That Ga Tech team that he lost to on the road at the end of the regular championship season just happened to be ranked #11 in the nation at the time. They had three players who averaged over 20 ppg for the season.

Ellis had three NCAA tournament squads. One advanced to the Sweet 16 and came within a desperate last second shot by UConn of going even further.

A few of the stellar point guards who played for Cliff Ellis were Chris Whitney, Grayson Marshall, and Marion Cash. All were among the best in the conference. Chris Whitney was a deadly long range shooter.

He also recruited future NBA big men in Dale Davis, Elden Campbell, and Sharone Wright.

None of this is to suggest that Cliff Ellis was a great coach. It just points out the general inaccuracy in what you said.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dont forget Horace Grant***

Feb 17, 2017, 5:22 PM

Right but ...

Feb 17, 2017, 5:24 PM

Didn't Bill Foster actually recruit the Grant Twins (Horace and Harvey) ??

correct...Horace was a SOPH when Ellis came to Clemson

Feb 21, 2017, 10:34 AM

Horace was here from 83-87
Ellis 84-94

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we just had our worst ACC loss in 60 years - pretty sure

Feb 21, 2017, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Not a bad comparison, actually..... ]

That covers the Cliff Ellis era. Your reasoning is non-existent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Minus the NCAA sanctions of course.***

Feb 17, 2017, 9:09 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Have to disagree

Feb 21, 2017, 10:57 AM

Mainly because Cliff worked on 4-5 year cycles

Brownells cycle is unknown. If he makes it this year, it will be six year cycles. If not, who knows.

Problem is that this was the year to come together

Feb 21, 2017, 1:07 PM

We lose our best player in Blossomgame and our most consistent player outside of him and leading 3-pt shooter in Holmes. Djitte, while nobody will miss him on the offensive side of the floor, is our leading rebounder and one of the leading shot blockers on the team.

Next year's projected starting lineup of

Mitchell/Hudson
Reed
Devoe
Grantham
Thomas/Robertin

has some nice offensive pieces, but zero defensive ability outside of Robertin. They may be an even worse rebounding team than this one. Grantham has regressed and the thought of him starting at the 4 isn't good thing. I'm not sure who we have coming in but unless we've recruited a ready to play big I'm not sure how this team can compete with any type of presence in the paint.

Who is projecting Grantham at 4 next year?

Feb 21, 2017, 1:13 PM

We'll have Skara and two 6'8 freshmen manning 4 next year

Re: Who is projecting Grantham at 4 next year?

Feb 21, 2017, 1:18 PM

Grantham is 6`8" and plays like he is 6`0" with NO EFFORT.. he should not get in a game until we are up by 40!!

As I said

Feb 21, 2017, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Who is projecting Grantham at 4 next year? ]

I didn't know who we had coming in, but unless they come ready to play ACC basketball he'd be all we have. All I know about Skara is that he's a transfer from Valparaiso and a Euro. If he's a traditional Euro player he'll be more of a 3 than a 4 even at 6-8. Looking at his stats he averaged 6.5 points per game and 3.1 rebounds per game in the Horizon league. Over 1/3 of his shots were from behind the arc. Not sure you can count on him to step into starting at the 4, his stats indicate he's more of a 3.

Replies: 13
| visibility 846
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic