Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Scenario that would keep 12-1 Clemson out of playoffs.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Scenario that would keep 12-1 Clemson out of playoffs.

Nov 10, 2017, 1:42 PM

13-0 Bama (SEC Champs beat #1 UGA and Auburn)
12-1 UGA (Loses to only Bama)
11-1 Notre Dame (Only loss to UGA, beat Miami)
13-0 Wisconsin (Big Ten champs, undefeated)
11-1 Oklahoma (Big 12 Champs, beat TCU Oklahoma St, Ohio State)

Big Clemson wins (what if)
Auburn finishes 8-4
Miami finishes 9-3
VT finishes 9-3
NC State not ranked

In this scenario, 4 of those 5 teams would make it over Clemson.

In conclusion, GO AUBURN and GO MIAMI!!!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's pretty much the only scenario that could keep

Nov 10, 2017, 1:56 PM

us out if went 12-1.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't think so...

Nov 10, 2017, 1:56 PM

Committee will view Bama vs. UGA SECCG as playoff itself. UGA would have better loss than Clemson but not better wins overall. They would not get in over 12-1 ACC Champ Clemson.

Neither would Notre Dame be an issue. Committee will show that an extra game for a championship is important, particularly when you have played a respectable schedule. ND will not get in over Clemson.

OU would have best case at 12-1, with impressive wins. Their defense will count against them. Unless KB goes down in ACCCG, Clemson is more impressive over all at 12-1 and champ then the others.

13-0 Wisconsin will NOT get in over 12-1 Clemson. Punishment of weak schedule in and out of conference.

In your scenario, it would be 1) Bama 2) Clemson 3) Oklahoma 4) The great debate would be ND or Wisconsin. To that, I think ND has edge due to overall schedule.

UGA would be in the debate with Wisc and ND

Nov 10, 2017, 1:57 PM

Re: UGA would be in the debate with Wisc and ND

Nov 10, 2017, 3:12 PM

Yes UGA would be in over ND imo because of head to head. If SoCal wins pac12 that would help ND though.

Extreme orange colored glasses dude

Nov 10, 2017, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Don't think so... ]

UGA would have the best win by far.
Notre Dame, in my scenario, would trump all of our wins by a large margin.

Notre Dame would have a win over our best opponent, and their loss is WAY better. Their resume is already considered superior to ours according to the committee and us beating the same team doesn't change that. Notre Dame definitely would be ahead.

Oklahoma would have better quality wins than us as well, and a better loss, and a conference championship. We would hold zero cards there.

Bama would obviously be #1

I think we would be ahead of Wisco, but that's good for 5th.

Re: Extreme orange colored glasses dude

Nov 10, 2017, 4:07 PM

OU doesn't play Defense, and the committee knows if they play a team with an actual Defense, they are finished, e.g. ISU.

We lost with KB down and Kirby Hocutt admitted as much. If KB is healthy and we sit 12-1, we're in.

UGA could lose to Auburn, beat Bama, and your scenario

Nov 10, 2017, 2:06 PM

still holds.

I would put OU behind Clemson simply because (1) the win at Ohio State, while good, doesn't look as good as it once did, and (2) they don't have to play a conference championship game. If ND's loss had been to anyone but Georgia, that same factor should keep them out.

Regarding bama and uga, I think a team should have to win its conference in order to go (the conference championship should be a de facto first round). That does not automatically leave ND out, but it means one loss makes them iffy, as it should.

Anyway, yes, it seems we need a loss by somebody. 'Win and you're in' sounded good after that debacle at Syracuse, but since that time those other teams have been winning too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thought the Big12ish changed?

Nov 10, 2017, 2:10 PM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/15930892/big-12-unanimously-votes-bring-back-conference-title-game-2017

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thought the Big12ish changed?

Nov 10, 2017, 2:19 PM

They did, but assuming CSO's premise, that would just mean he would have put them at 12-1 instead of 11-1, and they'd have a conference championship won on the field to boast.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Idk, I was trying to help CUintulsa.***

Nov 10, 2017, 2:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Idk, I was trying to help CUintulsa.***

Nov 10, 2017, 2:35 PM

There's no helping people who have made a personal choice to live in Tulsa.

??

Re: Idk, I was trying to help CUintulsa.***

Nov 10, 2017, 9:16 PM

I don't know about that? My Grandma chose to live in Tulsa and she was a wonderful lady who only was arrested twice for attacking her tenants.

Re: UGA could lose to Auburn, beat Bama, and your scenario

Nov 10, 2017, 2:14 PM [ in reply to UGA could lose to Auburn, beat Bama, and your scenario ]

Oklahoma does have to play a conference championship game. The Big 12 implemented it starting this season.

notre dame does not have a championship game, they're out***

Nov 10, 2017, 2:17 PM

Ohio State from last year says hi.***

Nov 10, 2017, 2:22 PM

committee won't make that mistake again***

Nov 10, 2017, 2:36 PM

What are you basing that on?

Nov 10, 2017, 2:37 PM

They don't think it was a mistake.

Re: Scenario that would keep 12-1 Clemson out of playoffs.

Nov 10, 2017, 2:28 PM

I don't think they would take UGA a week after losing to put 2 teams from the SEC in.
Over a defending NC 12-1 ACC champ Tigers .
I don't think they would ?

Why not, it's about putting in the best 4 teams

Nov 10, 2017, 2:32 PM

In that scenario, UGA and Bama would be the best 2 teams.

Are you wearing Red and Black colored glasses?

Nov 10, 2017, 2:40 PM

Nothing about UGA says they are among the best 2 teams in the nation IF they finish 12-1. 13-0, ok. The committee already questions both Bama and UGA's schedule and have spoken highly of Clemson's. It would be inconsistent for them to leave out 12-1 ACC Champ/Defending Nat Champ Clemson for a 12-1 Bama or UGA SEC Runner up. Even ESecPN has been quieter about the SEC as some dominant conference. UGA vs. BAMA is the quarter final. Loser out. Unless those other teams you mention blow it again.

Re: Are you wearing Red and Black colored glasses?

Nov 10, 2017, 2:43 PM

The fact that they would have better wins and losses than us doesn't say they are a better team than we are?

What should I use for comparison then? The timing of their loss? Do you really think the committee cares more about the timing of a loss than they do who they are losing to and who they have beaten? Really?

And We already know for a fact that conference championships are not necessary to get in.

Re: Why not, it's about putting in the best 4 teams

Nov 10, 2017, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Why not, it's about putting in the best 4 teams ]

Sure, but they would have just proven on the field ... A NEUTRAL FIELD.... which one of the two is better than the other. So no need to put them both in..... cause we aren't really looking for the 4 best teams.... We are looking for THE BEST TEAM.

No way you keep defending national champions

Nov 10, 2017, 2:34 PM

Out with one loss. No way.

They don't care about defending national champions.

Nov 10, 2017, 2:35 PM

That's not part of the criteria.

Our 1 loss forfeits that whole concept.

Conference champ...

Nov 10, 2017, 2:44 PM

Clemson or ND....When records/teams are similar, the extra game matters and the committee has affirmed that. Yes OSU made it last year, but they were 11-1 and the B1G champ PSU was 11-2. It is not the same thing as a 12-1 Clemson vs. 11-1 ND. 11-2 Clemson as champ would be left out for ND, but not 12-1

So conference champ matters if its ND but not if its Wisco?

Nov 10, 2017, 2:46 PM

Did it matter for Ohio State last year?

Notre Dame would have beaten our best opponent in that scenario. Do you think that Clemson beating Miami on a neutral site is more impressive than Notre Dame beating them on the road?

Conf champ + strength of schedule overall matters...

Nov 10, 2017, 3:13 PM

Wins/Losses so far between Clemson, UGA, and ND

Clemson UGA ND
Auburn 14-6 ND (A) 20-19 USC 49-14
VT (A) 31-17 Ms St 31-3 Mich (A) St 38-18
NC St (A) 38-31 Scar 24-10 NC St 35-14
BC 34-7 Vandy 45-14 BC 49-20 (A)
Lville 47-21 (A) UF 42-7 WF 48-37
WF 28-14 UT 41-0 M Ohio 52-17
GT 24-10 Ole Ms 53-28 UNC 33-10
Kent 56-3 App 31-10 Temple 49-16
LOSS to Sy 24-27 (A) Samford 42-14 LOSS UGA HOME (19-20)
* QB out; Away

Yikes on how that formatted...

Nov 10, 2017, 3:14 PM

my bad

Re: Conference champ...

Nov 10, 2017, 9:07 PM [ in reply to Conference champ... ]

Not sure I agree with that. Our extra game would be against Kent State where ND didn’t play a FCS school on their schedule. Not sure the committee would give us that much credit at 12-1 vs 11-1 when the extra game was Kent State. Add to that ND’s loss was to UGA while ours was to Syracuse and I could see them taking ND.

I think we need 1) to take care of business and win out, 2) have either Auburn beat UGA or Bama and/or UM beat ND, and 3) have either Bama or UGA, whichever one Auburn beats lose in the SECCG so they have 2 loses to guarantee our spot.

Hope I am wrong because I’m not sure #2 or 3 happens.

Wouldn’t hurt for wisky to drop one either.

Notre Dame would be Out

Nov 10, 2017, 3:16 PM [ in reply to They don't care about defending national champions. ]

Because no conference championship.

Nov 10, 2017, 2:39 PM

I disagree, I believe all we have to do is win out and we are in. I think you underestimate what Dabo has built. Over the last 6 years we have rose to be viewed as one of the top four programs in the country and deservingly so. Like Dabo said a few years ago "Ain't nobody given us anything, we've had to earn everything we got." That is exactly what we have done, we have earned national respect. Think who has won as many games as us the past six years? Ten win season after season, big game W's one after another. Where has Georgia been or Notre Dame? Not to mention the Irish ?? don't play in a championship game and they would bite them in that scenario. Just keep winning Tigers and it's back to the playoffs!

So you think that previous years matter more than this year?

Nov 10, 2017, 2:49 PM

Because the only point you made was because of our reputation over the last 3 years the committee will put us in regardless of other resumes.

Has anyone on the committee ever said anything to the effect of a programs reputation from previous seasons has anything to do with their rankings?

Anyone see anything like this?

Re: So you think that previous years matter more than this year?

Nov 10, 2017, 3:01 PM

What I'm saying is we are the defending national champions and have proved we deserve to be in the big games. A 12-1 defending national champion won't get left out and no I didn't say it was based on reputation alone. I said we have to win out, that means we earn our way. But yes our recent history will not hurt us if we are tied record wise or have one more win than ND. Win out and we are in!

Last year's team holds no weight on this year's rankings.***

Nov 10, 2017, 3:06 PM

Re: So you think that previous years matter more than this year?

Nov 10, 2017, 3:03 PM [ in reply to So you think that previous years matter more than this year? ]

Reputation obviously matters otherwise Alabama wouldn't be #2, they have almost an identical résumé Wisconsin and Miami. But would we get the same treatment as Bama? Probably not.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

They pass the eye test moreso than Wisco or Miami.

Nov 10, 2017, 3:05 PM

In my opinion (and I dislike Bama) Bama looks like a much better team than the other two teams you mentioned.

But they do have an inferior resume thus far. But that changes if they win out.

Common opponents...

Nov 10, 2017, 3:22 PM

Clemson will have shared 3 common opponents with UGA (Scar, Aub, GT)
Clemson will have share 4 common opponents with ND (WF, BC, NC St, Miami)
That will be considered.
IF a conversation between 2 getting in of Clemson, UGA, and ND, it may factor in that UGA beat ND at their place...and so, even if a tie between the 3, ND might lose out b/c they'd have one less win than the other 2 and had already lost at home vs. UGA.

From the words of John Wayne:

Nov 10, 2017, 2:51 PM

"You might think that, but you BETTER keep it to yourself."

Nov 10, 2017, 3:10 PM

We would jump ND.

Maybe, let's look at that.

Nov 10, 2017, 3:23 PM

Clemson best wins

11-2 Miami (neutral)
8-4 Auburn (home) (would have dropped to around #20)
10-2 Virginia Tech (away)
NC State or South Carolina (away)

Notre Dame best wins

11-2 Miami (away)
Michigan State (Currently #12 but I think they drop) (away)
NC State (home)
USC or Stanford (home & away)

Best wins are close, I may give the slight edge to us.

Clemson loss Syracuse
Notre Dame loss UGA

Massive difference here in favor of ND.

This would be a TOUGH one for the committee.

Exactly...

Nov 10, 2017, 3:30 PM

So with it being so close is where a Conference Title comes into play. Advantage Clemson

HAD ND beat UGA...

Nov 10, 2017, 3:31 PM

and finished 12-0. Then, they would get in over a 12-1 Clemson (as conference champ)

Nov 10, 2017, 3:25 PM

I would like to see what the argument for who Georgia's best win is up until this point besides the ND win. That ended up being a great win and Auburn will count as another good one, probably more impressive than ours overall, but the East is a cake walk. I'm not falling for the "difficult SEC Schedule" rhetoric the Chickens usually squawk at us.

Can't compare Clemson to other one loss teams

Nov 10, 2017, 11:16 PM

If the committee doesn't view Clemson as a one-loss team. If we lost the Syracuse game with a healthy KB. There's no way that we would be 4th right now. Every win with KB at QB erases a little more of that Syracuse loss.

Re: Can't compare Clemson to other one loss teams

Nov 11, 2017, 1:31 AM

I'm not sure where you're getting that they don't see us as a 1 loss team. There's the injury with KB, that eased it a bit in they're eyes, but that isn't why we're 4th. Our wins, in totality, put us there. Auburn. @ State. @ VT. Those alone are 3 very good wins. From what I've read/heard, the committee cares about who you beat, not who you lose to. I think it should matter, your losses, but that's what I keep reading.

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic