Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why is NC State such a good job?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Why is NC State such a good job?

Nov 29, 2012, 5:22 PM

I don't see why so many people think NC State is a great job. North Carolina is a state with at least 5 FBS programs (Duke, Wake, NC, NCST, East Carolina) and while the state does produce its share of talent it isn't like it's turning out players in numbers like Florida, Texas or California. There isn't enough talent to support all those programs especially with TN, SC, Clemson, UGA, etc. poaching players.

In fact, even when Chuck Amato was there getting the top guys in NC (Mario Williams, T.A. McLendon, Toney Baker) along with big names out of Florida, (Tremaine Hall, Stephen Tulloch, Willie Young) and had Phillip Rivers rewriting all the ACC's passing records they weren't a dominant team. I see this as a program with a definite ceiling and can't imagine why an upwardly mobile guy in a well paid assistant position (like Chad Morris) or a young head coach who's only getting better (James Franklin, Sonny Dykes) would jump at going to NC State when it's clear that offers from bigger programs are going to come for them.

The guy I expected NC State to eventually get (or settle for) would've been a re-tread coach who's been fired and is trying to get back into it. Perhaps someone with a well known name like Houston Nutt or even Tommy Bowden. Actually, Bowden, as I recall, tried to pursue the North Carolina job last year but didn't get much -- if any -- interest. So he'd have been someone willing to talk with them.

Anyway, can someone just tell me why people see NC State as such an attractive program? I don't think they've done much better than "pretty good" in over a hundred years regardless of the talent or coaches they've had there. Aside from a nice paycheck where's the great opportunity that this job presents?

-Moon

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is NC State such a good job?

Nov 29, 2012, 5:24 PM

Clearly Tommy is too clean for UNC as it turns out

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

because the unemployment rate is at an all time high?***

Nov 29, 2012, 5:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are there less FBS head coaching jobs than 4 years ago?

Nov 29, 2012, 5:34 PM

I actually think there are more FBS teams now than ever before. Many programs have moved up since it's where the money is and fewer teams want to schedule FCS teams due to the minimum win requirement for bowl eligibility. So, there's actually less unemployment for FBS coaches than ever before. Now, the turnover rate... that probably sucks.

-Moon

pssst... don't take it personally, i still haven't opened

Nov 29, 2012, 5:35 PM

your op.

any job in this economy is a good job.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why is NC State such a good job?

Nov 29, 2012, 5:34 PM

The only reasons I have heard it is viewed as a good job are 1)Facilities 2)Commitment. Other than that it is a place that is capable of some very good seasons occasionally but not on a regular basis.

I completely agree with you in terms of the

Nov 29, 2012, 5:35 PM

ceiling at NC State. With that said, there is no reason why someone with a creative offensive mind that is young and is willing to recruit can't win 8-9 games every year and at least compete for division titles every 2-3 years. The O'Brien hire made no sense. They went from one extreme to the other in terms of recruiting. Say what you want about Amato, but he could recruit. O'Brien could not relate and it showed in thier recruiting.

All State fans want are to be in on some 4 star recruits and at least be in the mix for a ACC Division title every so often.

Sonny Dykes is probably interested in the job because if he does strike it while at NC State he has the chance to play in a BCS bowl or a higher profile bowl. It is a good job to build your resume even better.

Boyd'll replace Philip Rivers in San Diego. I can feel it!!!***

Nov 29, 2012, 5:41 PM

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic