Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Appreciate the moment (Semi-long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Appreciate the moment (Semi-long)

Jan 31, 2014, 10:50 AM

It just seems to me that a lot of people are taking our current string of success for granted, and I don’t understand why.

This is something to appreciate. To admire. I was born in ’92, so I just missed the “glory years” of the 80’s, but I hear about it all the time. How little old Clemson took down the likes of Ohio State, Penn State, Nebraska, West Virginia, and Oklahoma. I grew up with the likes of Hatfield, West, and Bowden (who did some good things, but could never quite get over that hump). I watched us squander opportunities for ACC titles year after year, because we were just “one play away” from beating the likes of a terrible Maryland or Wake Forest squad. And while I enjoyed the regular wins over South Carolina, I got tired of seeing us win 7-9 games every single year.

In just the past 3 seasons, I’ve seen a whole lot of good, and some bad to go with it. I’ve seen one ACC title, two division titles, we’ve won double digit games all 3 years, and we’ve had thrilling victories over the likes of UGA, LSU, and Ohio State. I also got to see us get blown out at home by FSU, blown out by WVU in the Orange, and I got to see the coots win 5 in a row for the first time.

I’ll take the good over the bad. Because something has happened in Clemson, and it’s all thanks to the current staff and the school’s commitment to the program.

The culture has changed.

We expect to win now. No more fearing the weaklings in the ACC. No more “Syracuse is a trap game”. We know we’re going to blow them out, because we’re better. How often were any of you confident in a Tiger team headed to play at Wake or Maryland in the Bowden days?

Another example of the changed culture. I’m pretty sure a lot of you would have sold your souls to land just one 4 or 5 star recruit. Now anytime we offer a 3 star recruit, some people demand to know why we’re offering such a lowly rated player. We’re loaded with so many good players, our only concern is who’s gonna actually get some playing time, and who’s gonna end up transferring.

The coots won’t win forever, and we will win our fair share against FSU despite their rise back to national power. We are on the right path, and I think Dabo can lead us back to the promised land.

One day, hopefully not soon, Tiger fans will look back and talk about this run like they talk about the 80’s now. The glory days are here. Enjoy it. Don’t take the moment for granted. Live in it. It won’t be here forever.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When your only losses are to top 10 teams you're doing well

Jan 31, 2014, 10:55 AM

Doesn't mean the streak shouldn't end, and it will this year as they have no replacement for Shaw's leadership and skill. FSU is great but they aren't 37+ points better then us. I don't think we win in Tall but with our D we have a shot.

I'm with you. "Clemsoning" has gone out the window as we don't beat bad teams, we crush them! I never thought we'd have two years were we beat everyone on our schedule that we were favored to beat in pretty convincing fashion.

You mean that backup quarterback

Jan 31, 2014, 7:52 PM

that the gamecocks started two years ago that completed everything he threw and ran all over us.
Oh, I'm sorry---they have no one to replace Shaw. I forgot---i'm sorry

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said!

Jan 31, 2014, 11:56 AM

I agree!

But being born in 92, I highly doubt you remember anything from Hatfield or West ;) Maybe that's a good thing!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember a few things.

Jan 31, 2014, 1:05 PM

But hey, all I said was that I grew up with them, anyways. ;)

But you're right. I have mostly Bowden memories. I suppose that's a step up.

Re: Appreciate the moment (Semi-long)

Jan 31, 2014, 12:17 PM

Excellent post 63! I am one of the blessed that soaked up every moment of the 80s! I also lived through Hootie Ingram and Red Parker. I truly believed that Danny would be at Clemson until he wanted to leave, and that would be a long time. Enjoy every moment of our success, with all my heart I hope it lasts for the next 25 years, but there is no assurance it will! GO TIGERS

Good Stuff!***

Jan 31, 2014, 1:43 PM

Bravo....good intelligent post.

Jan 31, 2014, 1:44 PM

Nice to see on here occasionally :)

I'm not disagreeing with you per se

Jan 31, 2014, 2:03 PM

because I do agree that we are on a different level than we've been on in a while. 2 games still define our season, but those games are not Wake and Virginia. There are no automatic Ls and swing games in our season mean the difference in going to a BCS game vs the old time begging for the Music City Bowl.

I do think we've seen a culture shift at least with the past group of seniors. Let me see 1 more year of not worrying about a trap road game and I'll be 100% with you that its a program culture change and not a class culture change.

But I'm tempered a bit in calling this run any sort of a "glory year" run because

1) we play more games now than before. So for us to have 3 10 win seasons in a row isn't as big to me as the years we only played 10 or 11 games. I think when I looked at it, these last 3 years have been middle 20s and then 10th or 12th in our all time winning percentage years.

2) Conference expansion has diluted the schedule. I think the ACC is down from where it has been, but more importantly we don't play everybody so we've missed out on some good matchups. (Same goes for every other conference that has expanded)

So there are a number of inflated records out there so its hard for me to judge. I'm waiting to see us just impose our will on someone good, and I just haven't quite seen that yet.

So epic run...no
glory run....not yet
really good run...yes
helluva lot better than the lost decade of the 90s to middle 2000s...absolutely.

Well stated and remember this:

Jan 31, 2014, 2:24 PM

We have a staff of baby coaches learning on the fly. USuCk is coached by an admittedly brilliant head coach who is headed to the Hall of Fame. The talent levels are currently even, thanks in large part to the recruiting abilities of our staff which have had to overcome the fact that they aren't HOF coaches at present. If Superior can't beat the newbie on a regular basis right now he ain't HOF after all. But he won't coach forever and even if he did, our staff will continue to improve. I'm comfortable with where we are and where we're headed.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post.....

Jan 31, 2014, 3:23 PM

I was one of those who grew up during the Pell-Ford years, and the 80's were one heck of a time to be a Tiger fan.

I thought Danny would be here for decades since he obviously loved Clemson and the Upstate of SC, and he was so young (still hard for me to believe he won the national championship at 32). Above all, he was a winner.

We instead saw how that turned out, and our football program took 20 years to recover and to start moving in the right direction again.

I, like you, believe we are headed in the direction of greatness. I believe we have a great man and a great head coach at the helm, and I think he'll be here a long time, but you never know.....

So I agree, enjoy it while we have it, because we never know if the rug will be pulled out from under us like it was in '89.

nice post +1***

Jan 31, 2014, 7:10 PM

When I read a well-thought-out and crafted post like this,

Jan 31, 2014, 7:32 PM

my faith in our younger folks is renewed, and hence, please, accept my commendation.

Some may wish to offer varying opinions, even some disagreement, but I suspect most within the Clemson family would largely agree with your thinking.

The fact is most Clemson people are like the child in the candy store: they've had a taste of the candy and want more. And maybe, that's a good thing in a way, for the demands will help to keep our staff "on top of the game."

Regardless, when I reflect over our programs over the past 50 years, while I see room for improvement, I, too, am happy with our current progress excepting those losses to South Carolina.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Much appreciated.

Feb 1, 2014, 2:44 PM

Until we beat the coots, there will always be some disagreement. But I'm not concerned about that.

Yeah

Jan 31, 2014, 7:49 PM

I love watching us beat the citadel weak forest, virginia and all the other powerhouse teams. Most of the teams we beat would also get beat if they played Furman. Awesome wins.

Unfortunately Florida State has beaten us like a drum the last two years. Maybe we can have them removed from our division.

Our performance against the chickens is past poor. Beating weak forest and those other powerhouses, like NC State-0--man it's great. But I happen to live in South Carolina and Clemson happens to be in the same division as Florida State.

I don't see anything coming from swinney except big talk from that big mouth.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah

Jan 31, 2014, 9:29 PM

Let's not discuss UGA, LSU, or Ohio State.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic