Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Appalachian Trail hikers in full bloom around here.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 652

Appalachian Trail hikers in full bloom around here.

May 3, 2016, 4:59 PM

I was behind a young man at the post office just now who is from Wisconsin. He was picking up a care package that was mailed to him, and mailing back his medium-weight jacket. They stay overnight at an inexpensive hotel right at the trail, walk down to Kroger, restaurants,outdoor store, post office, just a blip of civilization before they're back on their way.

Every time I see one I think about how nice that would be, to not be caught up in the adult world of responsibility, house payments, work...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Appalachian Trail hikers in full bloom around here.

May 3, 2016, 5:06 PM

Had a buddy do the trail after the tech bubble burst. He was over 60k in debt, jobless, and soon to be homeless. I ended up picking him up in Virginia where he quit..Dude lost 40 lbs.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2016, 5:11 PM

might have been this intersection of the trail and US220N near Roanoke. Did you make him shower before you let him in the car?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 3, 2016, 5:24 PM

he was in a motel, so yeah. His feet looked like they had been dipped in a deep fryer though. I do believe that is the area where i got him.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should join us on this->

May 3, 2016, 5:34 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1570235&tstart=0

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You should join us on this->

May 3, 2016, 9:14 PM

Hahaha.... I'm sorry tp3, but I couldn't read anymore after I saw the part about "....you have to bring 4 or 5 of those thingies rock climbers use..."

Now that's classic SNL or an Adam Sandler movie stuff right there!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

May 3, 2016, 5:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0srveuRC_Y

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did about half of it.

May 3, 2016, 8:43 PM

Mail packages are not the way to do it. You have some rinky dink towns whose post office closes early saturday and closed Sunday and some that are just closed all weekend. SO you have no chance of getting your supplies.

We just stopped into town when ever we needed food. You can usually space it out to hit a town every 4 days pretty easily. I think only one time we went 5. And that was early on when we were only doing about 10 miles a day or so.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're not talking about the Bronx Trail***

May 4, 2016, 7:27 AM

May 3, 2016, 9:04 PM

Nointro, are you referring to the store where you got your shoes?
They recently brought in some of my gear, 45 degree sleeping bags and some apparel.
Good shop!

yes. It is a good store.

May 4, 2016, 8:39 AM

I'd say they get a fair amount of business from hikers passing through.

May 3, 2016, 11:01 PM

I just got home from a 100 section. We did north of SNP to hwy 233 in PA. Was able to slack pack the entire section so it was as easy as It could be. Spring is just getting going up there. About 70 thru hikers had already made it to Harpers Ferry as of a week ago

May 3, 2016, 11:40 PM

Well, get a better job. You all ##### about Range Rovers, people hiking when you work and rich chicks at sandwich places. If you don't like it, get a better job.

Hiked for a week on the trail, beginning at Fontana

May 4, 2016, 6:39 AM

with a former army buddy some years ago.

Three things I remember the most were the rats and mice crawling over our sleeping bags at night, getting to ride horseback after we met some girls riding in a meadow, and deciding to stop after a week because we were getting low on cigarettes and wanted to knock back some brewskis and Jack Daniels. Some good the trip did us. lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You met the girls but rode the horses?***

May 4, 2016, 8:44 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You met the girls but rode the horses?***

May 4, 2016, 8:57 AM

Yeah, gonna have to side with Aero on this one! ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

It's my bucket list to thru-hike the AT, almost did it this

May 4, 2016, 9:40 AM

year, will definitely do it soon.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

How long does something like this take?***

May 4, 2016, 9:44 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4-6 months***

May 4, 2016, 9:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, I want to be able to not go to work for that long.***

May 4, 2016, 9:48 AM

have you section hiked any of it??

May 4, 2016, 9:52 AM [ in reply to It's my bucket list to thru-hike the AT, almost did it this ]

or any 'long' hikes?

Yes, but nothing over a few days.***

May 4, 2016, 11:15 AM

Fun book on the subject -

May 4, 2016, 10:01 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Walk-Woods-Rediscovering-Appalachian-Official/dp/0767902521

Loved the book. The movie sucked.***

May 4, 2016, 2:12 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So I heard.***

May 5, 2016, 2:34 PM

Replies: 24
| visibility 652
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic