Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone who thinks "margin of victory" isn't a factor.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Anyone who thinks "margin of victory" isn't a factor.....

Oct 26, 2015, 10:48 AM

with the voters, is lying to themselves.

I know it's not supposed to be a beauty contest but it clearly is.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Ed Zachary. We don't move from 6th to 3rd in AP pole if we

Oct 26, 2015, 10:50 AM

beat Miami 28-17.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

If we continue to pursue the perfect game...

margin of victory take care of itself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's human nature...

I don't see how it's possible to remove it from consideration in a subjective human poll.

Further, why would you? Part of how good a team is is how much better they are than the teams they are playing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It encourages running-up the score....

Oct 26, 2015, 10:55 AM

for the sake of style points with the voters.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't bother me.***

Re: It encourages running-up the score....

Oct 26, 2015, 11:02 AM [ in reply to It encourages running-up the score.... ]

I don't think so. Once you win by 4-5 touchdowns it is all the same. I don't think we are being talked about any differently than if we had won 86-0, because we won 58-0. But if we had won 58-42 or 14-0 I think it is an entirely different narrative.

Alabama's close call against Tennessee is a good example (although it is Bama so they get a pass by all the talking heads). I don't see them as nearly as strong as if they had won by a few scores.

Re: It encourages running-up the score....

Oct 26, 2015, 11:10 AM

I most definitely view 58-0 differently than 34-17, for example. That's even more true knowing the score of previous games like UM vs. FSU, a 24-29 loss. I think margin of victory means more as the season goes on and depending on the opponent, and it's a bias--if only subconscious--in the minds of voters.

Here's a thought experiment: if you heard that Clemson beat Davidson 58-0 what would you think vs. hearing we beat UM by the same score? Davidson: ho, hum. UM: dayum! A pedestrian win against Miami doesn't scare the chickens. 58-zip has them making predictions which include inappropriate comparisons to prison rape.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Conversely....

Oct 26, 2015, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Re: It encourages running-up the score.... ]

if Alabama had blown-out Tennessee and we narrowly escaped with a victory in Miami, that would have been all the voters needed for them to jump Bama over us in the polls.

Yes and no ... the score may get lopsided

Oct 26, 2015, 11:04 AM [ in reply to It encourages running-up the score.... ]

...but how it gets there is what's important.

for example thee fact that we goose-egged Miami and their superstar QB probably resonated as much as the score. Ditto the fact that aside from the 1st TD, we didn't have to get fancy.

If we had beaten Miami 35-0, I believe the jump would have been the same. The fact that we added points without breaking a sweat is just heaping sprinkles on the sundae.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely agree...big difference between 28-20 and 58-0

Oct 26, 2015, 11:05 AM

But not a big difference between 58-0 and 73-0, which is where it could have been if Dabo had wanted to "run up the score".

It was abundantly clear....

Oct 26, 2015, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Yes and no ... the score may get lopsided ]

that Clemson wasn't trying to run-it-up. But for Cain, we completely cleared the bench in the second half.

AP Sportswriters Yes, Coaches Not So Much (or At All)***

Oct 26, 2015, 10:51 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Who gives a turd about the voters.

Oct 26, 2015, 10:51 AM

Committee is supposed to know better. Right?

I won't argue if they do or not. Will see.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

The committee is absolutely influenced by the polls***

Oct 26, 2015, 10:54 AM

they weren't last yr***

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correlation is not necessarily causation...

Oct 26, 2015, 10:55 AM [ in reply to The committee is absolutely influenced by the polls*** ]

The AP poll and Coaches' poll are rankings of teams based on peoples' opinions. So is the CFP ranking. Why would they be significantly different? I wouldn't expect them to be.

Exactly. The CFP have specific criteria upon which

Oct 26, 2015, 12:22 PM

their selection are supposed to be based in an attempt to make it more objective, but they are still human, and they still watch ESPN and read newspapers and the internets, so they are influenced by the polls whether or not they admit it or even realize it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Which is exactly why....

Oct 26, 2015, 12:44 PM

ESPN continues with its shameless promotion of the $EC.

Exactlty. Until there is a legitimate playoff with

Oct 26, 2015, 2:05 PM

automatic slots for conference champs, perception will be a key factor, and things like polls and media coverage influence perception. There's no way around it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Anyone who thinks "margin of victory" isn't a factor.....

Oct 26, 2015, 10:56 AM

Clearly how ? State facts and examples .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

That should apply to Mich St this week

Oct 26, 2015, 11:00 AM

Running away late from a middling team makes a close game look like a blowout.

42-0 at halftime against a middling team is a different story.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now that FSU lost, we've got to win all of our.......

Oct 26, 2015, 11:01 AM

remaining games and win them BIG. I know Dabo's not one to run up the score but it's time to make an impression - we can't look as though we're struggling with "weak ACC teams" as so many of the sportswriters put it.

But also as Dabo says, the next game on the schedule is always the biggest game. If we don't get by NC State Saturday then our dreams vanish. We've got to take things one game at a time - no doubt about it.

I think this is probably true

Oct 26, 2015, 11:01 AM

But I also imagine when the committee discusses the teams, they will look at margins of victory as a metric with a caveat that they will see if the teams called off the dogs in games that were clearly over.

Miami was the perfect storm for us. We could've hung a hundred on them, but, in games where we are winning comfortably it makes much more sense for use to get backups in and get them reps.

Same for some (not all) of our earlier games. They were games where we clearly were winning and were the better team, and Dabo wisely got reps for backups and got our starters out of harm's way.

That's the advantage of having a small group of people

Oct 26, 2015, 11:06 AM

Who can meet with each other and talk. They can discuss how to view margin, and how not to view margin, down to specific games and specific teams.

You don't get that with a big poll.

Who ever said margin of victory wasn't used by

Oct 26, 2015, 11:06 AM

poll voters? You are confusing that with it being taken out of the BCS equation way back when.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who ever said margin of victory wasn't used by

Oct 26, 2015, 11:12 AM

Poll voters yes. Not supposed to be used by the Playoff committee.
http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee-protocol

College Football Playoff Selection Committee Protocol

Mission. The committee’s task will be to select the best teams, rank the teams for inclusion in the playoff and selected other bowl games and then assign the teams to sites.
Principles. The committee will select the teams using a process that distinguishes among otherwise comparable teams by considering:
Conference championships won,
Strength of schedule,
Head-to-head competition,
Comparative outcomes of common opponents (without incenting margin of victory), and,
Other relevant factors such as key injuries that may have affected a team’s performance during the season or likely will affect its postseason performance.

If they are using metrics, and they are supposed to be

Oct 26, 2015, 11:17 AM

how are they not using margin of victory? It's the same thing. Not only did you win, but how well did you play?

They use whatever supports their agenda....

Oct 26, 2015, 11:42 AM

or the agenda of the person who is slipping them an envelope full of cash under the table.

Oct 26, 2015, 11:12 AM

How bad was bammer penalized for their lame effort against a now 3-4 team?

Rules don't apply to $EC teams***

Oct 26, 2015, 11:17 AM

Oct 26, 2015, 11:19 AM

I still think it is more important for us to get experience to the younger players. Obviously a big score helps, but as we've said all year, win out and it doesnt matter.

I think the biggest point from the jump in the polls after this statement game is that we did it with 2nd and 3rd string in for half the game, hell our "3rd" string qb scored 2 TDs and our 3rd D held the shutout.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Dominating defensive & offensive line play helps win games

Oct 26, 2015, 11:59 AM

And in the polls.

34-17 is the same as 58-0 if it comes with physical domination.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It certainly can be. Say that 34 was made with

Oct 9, 2024, 4:41 PM

15 play possessions with no huge plays. That takes a lot longer to do. Then those 17 points could be in garbage time.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just ask Ohio State. They needed every bit of that 59-0 win

Oct 26, 2015, 2:11 PM

against Wisconsin in the B1G CG or TCU/Baylor is in and not them

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

While true, I think generally not knowing if it should be

Oct 26, 2015, 2:14 PM

Baylor/TCU helped Ohio St.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic