Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone thinking the 2014 schedule toughest in Dabo tenure?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,480

Anyone thinking the 2014 schedule toughest in Dabo tenure?

Feb 4, 2014, 5:13 PM

Start with an away game in Athens.....I don't think there has been a tougher opener in a while. Then you've got another away game in Tallahassee. UNC shows back up on the schedule and I keep hearing UNC is supposed to be good in 2014. I don't expect Louisville to be what they have been lately, but they are not bottom feeder ACC bad and Petrino is the best coach around not named Saban imo.

Some may scoff at this, but Boston College in Chestnut Hill is a landmine. BC about pulled the upset in 2013 and that should be a very tough road game. Then I see that GT is finally back in Atlanta after 2 straight years as a home game; and finally you know who.

Just curious of other's thoughts and if you think this will be Dabo's most challenging as a HC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tell em Coot***

Feb 4, 2014, 5:15 PM

Re: Tell em Coot***

Feb 4, 2014, 5:29 PM

835 -
What's the point really? Why take the time to add nothing to a conversation?

If you are referring to my pulse rate, it took a hit a few years ago when I was on the board explaining why SCAR would not be penalized significantly for the Whitney stuff. I'm in commercial real estate and knew what the going rate for hotel rooms were in that area.....it was 2009 and most hotels were trying to stay out of bankruptcy......the Whitney was happy to rent a room by the month. I ended up being correct fwiw.

Wasn't facing Auburn, FSU, and VT in the 2011

Feb 4, 2014, 5:17 PM

schedule like one of the hardest stretches Clemson had been through in a while? Trying to remember that.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wasn't facing Auburn, FSU, and VT in the 2011

Feb 4, 2014, 5:24 PM

You may be correct about "tough stretch" but the 2014 schedule has plenty of good teams.....maybe not a bunch of "great" teams, but there are a lot of tough games.

Prb. 2010

Feb 4, 2014, 5:17 PM

@ Auburn @ FSU...we had a weak team and still almost won both those games. Coot game was ugly.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone thinking the 2014 schedule toughest in Dabo tenure?

Feb 4, 2014, 5:54 PM

Could be. UL won't be that great this year but BP will have that team very good in 2015. I was not happy when they hired him. Good coach. bad personal decisions. :)

Feb 4, 2014, 6:25 PM

About like most other years. Only three games on schedule that should even be contested. Louisville lost a ton, plus their coaching staff. The only other is some are fretting over UNC. Though not sure why. A pretender that needed a winning streak against the weakest of conference members to get bowl eligible.

Feb 4, 2014, 7:11 PM

> About like most other years. Only three games on
> schedule that should even be contested. Louisville
> lost a ton, plus their coaching staff. The only other
> is some are fretting over UNC. Though not sure why. A
> pretender that needed a winning streak against the
> weakest of conference members to get bowl eligible.

This is the mentality that I think a lot have but it is not the case. I assume the only games you think would be contested are UGA, FSU and SCAR.

As the other poster points out below, BC on the road will be very tough and since when did a game at GT not become a "contested" game. I look at UGA, FSU, SCAR, BC and GT as 5 very tough games. Then you consider the very real potential that Louisville and UNC could field dangerous teams and this schedule has very few gimme games.

Feb 4, 2014, 6:45 PM

Any knowledgeable CFB fan who looks at the 2014 schedule would see that it is more challenging than the 2013 schedule. Just the fact that the UGA and FSU games are now on the road dictates that thought. Add in a much improved UNC team as well as UL and an improving BC team and the 2014 schedule is likely to be a more challenging one, which is not all bad, as the SOS rating will be better in a year where that component will determine the four playoff spots.

I don't think it'll be a cakewalk, for some of the reasons

Feb 4, 2014, 7:18 PM

you mentioned.

Then again, I've never considered any season to be a cakewalk, simply because of the various pluses and minuses of each of our teams.

I will say this: I will expect us to win a hefty share, rather than merely hope, and I thank Coach Swinney and his staff for that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If anybody knows about cake, it's Hartins

Feb 4, 2014, 7:32 PM

;) But all joking aside I think it's an outstanding schedule. We're bookended by two SEC skewls that none of us care for. It'll be great to beat both of those knuckleheads next year. And nobody here cares for the Tarholes so it will be nice to lay it on em and Swoffie. I'm sure the jokes will fly when Petrino and his biker gang from Lville come to town.

Of course the best thing will be destroying scar but that Scott Shaffer hasn't made any friends in TigerTown. With the way he runs his mouth, it'll be a peach to see us smash Syracuse.

So let me get this right

Feb 4, 2014, 7:33 PM

UNC is good now? Missed the memo. Eric Ebron is not a player they recruit well enough to replace.

Louisville without 1st rounders Bridgewater, Calvin Pyror and a new coaching staff does not strike fear into me. Though it should be a competitive game.

BC without Andrew Williams, Rettig, and Amidon (if I remeber right) will not be a challenge.

GT sans Attachou and Vad Lee won't close the gap.

Georgia couldn't beat Nebraska with their new qb so I'm not counting that one a loss yet. I felt less strongly about beating them last year when we carried a 10 point lead into the 4th.

Re: So let me get this right

Feb 4, 2014, 7:41 PM

> UNC is good now? Missed the memo. Eric Ebron is not a
> player they recruit well enough to replace.
>
> Louisville without 1st rounders Bridgewater, Calvin
> Pyror and a new coaching staff does not strike fear
> into me. Though it should be a competitive game.
>
> BC without Andrew Williams, Rettig, and Amidon (if I
> remeber right) will not be a challenge.
>
> GT sans Attachou and Vad Lee won't close the gap.
>
> Georgia couldn't beat Nebraska with their new qb so
> I'm not counting that one a loss yet. I felt less
> strongly about beating them last year when we carried
> a 10 point lead into the 4th.

These are all good points. I didn't bring up who teams may have lost talent-wise because that cuts both ways. You can be sure the opposition points to the departure of Watkins and Boyd, along with several other big contributors and thinks the Tigers won't be as good.

Feb 4, 2014, 8:50 PM

What matters in 2014 is FSU and scar. Our ACC schedule (aside from FSU) jut needs to be taken aggressively.

I think it's tough having UGA and FSU away and we stand to be a 3 loss team next season if we fold to scar again and fail to produce. That said, I think this is the year we beat scar ... but not sure about FSU ... or UGA.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,480
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic