Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone see enough of Oh St D to know if they pose a legit threat
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Anyone see enough of Oh St D to know if they pose a legit threat

Dec 14, 2016, 3:53 PM

to our WRs and offensive flow? Seems like the only game we were kept from scoring much was Auburn to start the year. Is there something in that film to exploit or was Aub just good defensively? Is Oh St D better than Aub?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Anyone see enough of Oh St D to know if they pose a legit threat

Dec 14, 2016, 4:03 PM

Just different. OSU's strength is their secondary, Auburn's is their defensive line. I'd say that if you can't get a decent pass rush it doesn't really matter how good your secondary is. What they do in terms of spying with McMillon or Baker or whoever else should be fun to watch.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On paper they are likely the most talented D we've played

Dec 14, 2016, 4:05 PM

all year.

Difference between awbarn and osu is that osu is skrong on the back end and awbarn is skrong up front.

Should be a fun matchup, but I think our O will be very good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

pretty sure any team in the playoff is going to pose a legit

Dec 14, 2016, 4:16 PM

threat.

we get the dubious honor of having to beat the two best defenses in the playoff to win it all. We will have earned it if we can get through these last two.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure, but doesn't mean we didn't face a better D during the year

Dec 14, 2016, 4:37 PM

I referenced Aub bc they kept us to our lowest points scored.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Interesting point

Dec 14, 2016, 7:38 PM [ in reply to pretty sure any team in the playoff is going to pose a legit ]

Would you also say the same for Ohio State?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Dec 14, 2016, 4:45 PM

They are very good and, IMO, certainly better than Auburn. A lot of speed at DE, linebacker, and secondary.

Clemson will be the best offense Ohio State has faced. Oklahoma is probably the closest comparison in terms of offensive ability. Ohio State was able to hold them to 17 points offensively, largely due to turning Baker Mayfield over and not allowing them to run the ball consistently enough to sustain long drives.

Ohio State's issue is it can't throw the ball. It has a solid running game but nobody like Zeke, and good defenses have been able to load the box and limit Ohio State running up and down the field. (see: Michigan, Penn State)

Should be a great game, but I'd ultimately favor Watson and your group of receivers scoring enough points to win. I can't see Ohio State exploiting what seems to be Clemson's biggest weakness, which is throwing the ball downfield. A 27-24 type of score is what I'm expecting

Dec 14, 2016, 6:02 PM

I agree with this, but as recent history indicates OU's offense crumbles when they play a P5 defense not from the big 12.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Curious here...

Dec 14, 2016, 7:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone see enough of Oh St D to know if they pose a legit threat ]

...,are you an Ohio State fan? (per your use of the term "your wide receivers").

If so, do I interpret your comments to indicate you believe the Tigers beat the Buckeyes?

tia

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Curious here...

Dec 15, 2016, 9:52 AM

Yes, I am an Ohio State fan

Great username (and analysis)***

Dec 15, 2016, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Anyone see enough of Oh St D to know if they pose a legit threat ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think we will be ok as long as we don't

Dec 14, 2016, 4:47 PM

Call them basic.

Dec 14, 2016, 5:02 PM

I think our O will score on anybody. They do a good job of getting a pass rush though and cover very well. We should be able to run on them though and that will open up the PA passing game. They are good but not great IMO.

Dec 14, 2016, 5:42 PM

Unfortunately yes.
According to NCAA Stats Butteyes ended the season:

#1 in Team Passing Efficiency Defense,
#3 in Scoring Defense,
#6 in Passing Yards allowed
#5 in Redzone Defense
#5 in First Down Defense
#5 in Total Defense

the weakness appears to be the pass rush:

#55 in Sacks
#35 in Tackles for Loss

So yeah, they're better than Auburn. However, I've believed that the Big 10 was over-rated all year. Plus, OSU's stats have been somewhat inflated because some of the teams they've played. They held Rutgers, Maryland, Tulsa and Bowling Green to 16 pts combined.

I aint skeered, bring them on!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 14, 2016, 5:57 PM

I thought that all world Coot D was the best?

Dec 14, 2016, 8:02 PM

Need to establish the run with Gallman to soften up the middle of the field for Leggette and Williams...the deep shots will be there because they play a ton of man

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

No turnovers no problem***

Dec 14, 2016, 8:11 PM

Re: No turnovers no problem***

Dec 14, 2016, 8:40 PM

Yes, this will be key

I look for them to employ Pitt's defensive strategy

Dec 15, 2016, 10:01 AM

They'll load the box to take away the run and dare Deshaun to beat us with his decision making. They'll gamble that he'll make some poor reads and throw some bad balls and interceptions. Only thing that concerns me is they are better equipped to make this strategy work because they are light years better than Pitt in the secondary.

*Beat them***

Dec 15, 2016, 10:05 AM

Re: I look for them to employ Pitt's defensive strategy

Dec 15, 2016, 1:16 PM [ in reply to I look for them to employ Pitt's defensive strategy ]

Buckeyes play a lot of press man coverage in the secondary, and they are very good at it, but it can leave them susceptible to the QB taking off and running. Fortunately for them they haven't faced very mobile QBs, but Watson is capable of making them pay for this. It will be interesting to see if Ohio State employs a "spy" on Watson with a fast linebacker like Jerome Baker

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic