Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone not impressed with the Ohio receivers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Anyone not impressed with the Ohio receivers

Dec 26, 2019, 11:36 PM

They are pretty good for college receivers but they don’t have anyone who you know will be a star at the next level. Clemson can commit a few extra hats to the very good Ohio running game and still cover their receivers. Their starters are seniors tells ya all you need to know. Most star Clemson receivers leave early

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone not impressed with the Ohio receivers

Dec 26, 2019, 11:41 PM

Clemson has a massive advantage at WR. Ohio State has one WR with future all pro NFL potential but he’s a true freshman and doesn’t start (Garrett Wilson). However, that doesn’t worry me because Ohio State is going to run, run, run, and then if that is working the play action and threat of run will give Ohio State’s wideouts a lot of room to work. It is all about the running game Saturday for Ohio State.

Dec 26, 2019, 11:54 PM

Agree with this. You guys need to establish a running game more than us.

I said it before and will say it again: The trenches decide the outcome Saturday. Between Dobbins and ETN, if one has a much better game than the other, the result is a lock.

Bama ran strongly between the 20's last year

Dec 27, 2019, 12:06 AM

and found themselves down by 20 in a hurry ... if Dobbins runs well and OSU is down by 17, do the Bucks keep running?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bama ran strongly between the 20's last year

Dec 27, 2019, 12:13 AM

The chances of OSU crashing and burning in the red zone like Alabama is slim and none. If you expect Dobbins to run wild AND Ohio State to trail by 17, enjoy your dreamland.

Let's stick with reality here.

Re: Bama ran strongly between the 20's last year

Dec 27, 2019, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Bama ran strongly between the 20's last year ]

Of course not. Rewatching the Clemson/Alabama game it seemed like Alabama had some busted coverages and pick sixes that led to a lot of Clemson points that I don’t expect to be an issue Saturday for Ohio State.

Don't think Bama expected that either.

Dec 27, 2019, 8:44 AM

Venables is a key component here. WE love him.

I will say tho that having 4 grown men on the D-Line last yr

Dec 27, 2019, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Bama ran strongly between the 20's last year ]

plugs up alot of options in the redzone as far as running the ball is concerned. We are good on the DLine this year but not as good as last year just from an experience and mass point of view. You weren't running anyone up the gut on us last year with CW, Ferrell, Huggie, and Bryant in the game. IT just wasn't an option.

Dec 27, 2019, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone not impressed with the Ohio receivers ]

Boy, I hope you are right about the run run run.

Nobody is gonna run it down our throats.

Dec 27, 2019, 7:27 AM

Chris Olave is OSU's best receiver. They will move him around and try to get him against a safety going deep. He can also run really tight routes but they don't go short very often.

Dec 27, 2019, 8:28 AM

I'd also add that McLaurin last year was a good college receiver, but is absolutely tearing it up with the Redskins this year. Don't be fooled into thinking the receivers are "not that good" just because 1.) OSU spreads the ball around and 2.) they don't have the high ceiling that Higgins and Ross do.

The depth of the receivers is excellent, with Hill Jr., Mack, Victor, Olave, Wilson and three experienced and talented TEs. I readily admit they, right now, are not near the level of a Higgins and Ross, who are top-5 college receivers (Lamb, and the two guys from Bama might be in that 5 as well).

They are certainly not flashy, but they are extremely dependable. Your safeties, in particular, might be in for a long night if the passing game gets going.

Dec 27, 2019, 10:39 AM

Yea you don't go to Ohio St or Clemson and not be really good at ur position.

Dec 27, 2019, 8:41 AM

Don’t be fooled. Just because they don’t have a breakout statistical leader doesn’t mean they aren’t any good. They have like 6 very good receivers. We won’t be able to key on any one of them really. I think that’s why they’re so successful. I expect at least 2 or 3 big plays from their receivers. They may not have a bunch of future nfl stars, but this isn’t the nfl.

If we don’t put pressure on Fields then we’ll see just how good their receivers are.

Dec 27, 2019, 8:56 AM

Agreed Noodle. Further, all the talk in the game has been on the flash - TL vs. JF, WRs for Clemson vs. DBs for OSU. However, if one team can stop the run or get pressure on the opposing QB, that affects the passing game and could potentially make that part of a team's offense irrelevant.

Our OTs have been suspect at times, but I do think your Dline is not near as good as the last couple years (honestly, how could it be, those guys were awesome). Our Dline is good and deep and I think I've heard from Clemson folks that your Oline (specifically the tackles?) have had some issues this year.

If you look at the game from 2016 I don't think the issue was the passing game. To me it was the lack of ability of our OL to set up the run game, too much sideline to sideline rushes, and the inability of our OL to give Barrett time to find receivers. Along with two missed FGs that could have given us a little momentum. That created a perfect storm for Clemson to crockpot us into a 31-0 beating. I have more faith in our OL this year, combined with the ceiling coming down a bit for your DL.

This year's DL is on par with 2016...Not as good as the...

Dec 27, 2019, 9:07 AM

last two years of course.

Re: This year's DL is on par with 2016...Not as good as the...

Dec 27, 2019, 9:31 AM

Respectfully disagree. Those guys were studs coming out of HS - the guys you have now were not, save Xavier Thomas, who hasn't exactly lived up to his star ranking. He's been good, not those guys good.

Dec 27, 2019, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Anyone not impressed with the Ohio receivers ]

I think the game will be a shootout similar to 2014. Our teams are so very similar it’s kinda’ strange.

Y’all will probably come up with a few plays to exploit our aggressiveness on D. I expect to see some big plays from your O.

I think both teams have enough WR talent to spread the ball around. I don’t think either team can focus on one WR and really shut down the passing game. It will depend on how the OC’s have schemed and how much time the QB’s have to check down. Statistically it may appear that we only throw to 2 receivers but I can assure you that’s not the case. We have, I believe, 2 current stars and probably 3 or 4 future stars. Also we’re getting our best receiving TE back so it will be interesting to see how he’s utilized.

Don’t believe the negatives about our OL. Some people expect them to be perfect. They haven’t been perfect but they have been very good. We may have difficulty running so I think we try to get ETN room with short passes and sweeps. We haven’t played anyone like Young so hopefully they step up. I’m thinking our RB’s will be the key to keeping Young off of TL16.

As far as our DLine, Coach V basically revamped our D to accommodate for ours losses there. You’ll probably see a mix of 3 and 4 DL. We depend on having LB’s and DB’s in position to fill gaps and pressure the QB. We play very aggressively with our blitzes and coverages (which hurts us a lot of times) so a lot depends on the coaches making the right decisions. We trust the coaches to understand our weaknesses and adjust their philosophy to put us in a position to be successful.

I can’t wait for tomorrow. Flight leaves at 7am...

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic