Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone know where 1978 CU vs Md footage can be found?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Anyone know where 1978 CU vs Md footage can be found?

May 26, 2017, 11:47 AM

This was my first big away game. tix were a birthday present bought through MD as CU's allotment was sold out. Our first ACC Football Conf Championship since I think 66 or 67. I've always heard the footage was lost but I found 44 minutes on you tube. I'd love to get the whole game because it was a great one which we won 28-24. Anyone know of a source for this? Thanks

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:1978 CU vs Md link to article on game

May 26, 2017, 11:49 AM

https://clemsonwiki.com/wiki/1978_Clemson-Maryland_football_game

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:1978 CU vs Md- Bob Bradley article

May 26, 2017, 11:52 AM

Clemson 28, Maryland 24
Nov. 18, 1978 at College Park, MD

This game was for the ACC Championship and both teams were ranked in the top 11 in the nation.

This was an incredible game of big plays. I can't remember another game with as many long plays. Maryland had a runner named Steve Atkins who had a 98-yard run, which is still an ACC record. Dwight Clark caught a 62-yard touchdown pass from Steve Fuller and Jerry Butler caught an 87-yard touchdown pass, the longest of his career.

They kicked a field goal to make it 28-24 in the fourth quarter and got the ball back. They drove into our territory, but couldn't get any closer and we won.

When we got back to the Greenville Airport there were 7,000 people waiting. Cars were parked all the way to I-85. People were all over the place to welcome the team. It was quite a scene. This victory gave us a 9-1 record and moved us into the top 10 in the polls for the first time since the 1950s, so it was quite a big win, not to mention the clincher for the ACC Championship.

Here's 44 minutes of it from youtube:

May 26, 2017, 11:53 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe6zztnMM4s

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's 44 minutes of it from youtube:

May 26, 2017, 11:55 AM

thanks but I know about that as I said above

Re: Anyone know where 1978 CU vs Md footage can be found?

May 26, 2017, 12:32 PM

If myfavoriteorange is still hanging around, he might be someone to try. Before youtube, I bought several DVDs from him, (actually it was more of a donation), from around that time. He had a long list of Tiger games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone know where 1978 CU vs Md footage can be found?

May 26, 2017, 1:22 PM

Watched this one on CCTV in Littlejohn. My family was one of the 7000 that went to the airport that night. One of my top memories growing up a Tiger fan.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was the very first game I recorded on VHS

May 26, 2017, 2:55 PM

I'll have to see if I can find it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was on the wooden bleachers in "our" end zone where

May 26, 2017, 2:56 PM

Clemson did most of it's scoring. They almost had Atkins for a safety before he broke out on that 98-yarder. On the drive back, I almost died in an unmarked snowbank in the outside lane that just ended on I-95... no warning, just snow... Thankfully, I was driving a friend's VW Super Beetle. It geared down like a champ and held a good line.

Message was edited by: SOLOS®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic