Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anyone into John Grisham novels?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Anyone into John Grisham novels?

May 2, 2016, 12:53 AM

I am 2/3 of the way through "A Painted House" which is a southern coming-of-age novel. It's been absolutely unbelievable so far. It's about an Arkansan 7-year old boy growing up on a cotton farm in 1952. If you live even remotely in the country then you simply have to read it. Trust me. I can't really put into words.

Might take a look at one of his legal thrillers at some point but I'm sure I won't have as big of an interest in that genre. Probably reading "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry next.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Anyone into John Grisham novels?

May 2, 2016, 5:26 AM

I have read all his books. He is one of the best IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His books are entertaining and pretty well written.

May 2, 2016, 6:49 AM

I haven't read the book you're referring to, but if you like Southern stories, you'll love Pat Conroy's writing if you haven't explored it.

Yes, even Lords Of Discipline for a Citadel guy is fantastic. They are heavy at times, but they are good southern stories.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

May 2, 2016, 7:10 AM

I read A Painted House at least ten years ago. I still recall it vividly. A great read. Bet you wish it never ended. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2016, 7:29 AM

Lonesome Dove is my favorite novel of all time! I've read it twice. I've read most of Grisham's books except A Painted House, but I'll read it on your recommendation. I'm reading Conroy's The Great Santini now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 2, 2016, 10:45 AM

The Rain maker, Grey Moutain, and of course A Time to kill are pretty good too.

"Lonesome Dove" is probably my favorite novel

May 2, 2016, 7:40 AM

... and if you read "Lonesome Dove" you'll just have to read the other Gus & Call stories, "Comanche Moon" (a sequel) and "Dead Man's Walk" (a prequel).

I love a great many Grisham books. Some more than others. "The Firm" was absolutely terrific as was "A Time to Kill". Most have now been made into movies. "The Rainmaker" is great and also "The Client". Among his non-lawyer books, I liked "A Painted House" and his baseball story "Calico Joe" is a good read.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Lonesome Dove" is probably my favorite novel

May 2, 2016, 8:44 AM

Another great, somewhat undiscovered, Southern writer, is Ron Rash. A lot of his novels (ie SAINTS AT THE RIVER) are set in the Southern Appalachian just North of Clemson. He has a graduate degree from Clemson. You will not be disapointed reading any of his stuff.

That is definitely in my ally. I'm from that area.***

May 2, 2016, 9:08 AM

I've read a couple of his ... good stuff.***

May 2, 2016, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Re: "Lonesome Dove" is probably my favorite novel ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Enjoyed both of those too. The walk to Mexico

May 2, 2016, 2:50 PM [ in reply to "Lonesome Dove" is probably my favorite novel ]

when they were captured was brutal. Great story telling.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

May 2, 2016, 8:50 AM

I read that one on the beach in Cancun. My mom grew up on a farm so I loved it. I am just finishing The Testament. Another great one!

Tall John D

Lonesome Dove is a great book. Cormac McCarthy's Blood

May 2, 2016, 10:05 AM

Meridian is another good one as is The Road and No Country for Old Men by him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Waiting for the movie***

May 2, 2016, 10:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 4, 2016, 2:41 PM

couple light reading sports novels by Grisham: Bleachers and Playing For Pizza. If you like Italian food, you'll enjoy Grisham describing the mouthwatering dinners served in the Italian restaurants in the second book.

He's my favorite author but that's the only book he's

May 4, 2016, 2:43 PM

written that I haven't read. I may have to check it out if it's that good.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am. His legal fiction is fantastic, ironically though he

May 4, 2016, 4:06 PM

has a true story that occurred in his very state that blows most fiction away. 2 patients' brain scans were swapped resulting in one man getting exploratory surgery(partial lobotomy) on his otherwise healthy brain. The other patient with the diseased brain died. The case was/is the largest civil award in the state of Mississippi's courts.

p.s. a Clemson Tiger was both patient's atty.

Message was edited by: Tickled Orange®

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic