Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Boatbuy.net
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 782

Boatbuy.net

Jul 10, 2018, 7:31 PM

Friends of mine back in Bawlmer are looking to get a boat, cause they have money to spend. Basically, want to relax on the Bay where there is less chance they'll get shot. He sent me this link to what they are looking at. What are the thoughts of the Jounge? Guarantee if they get it, I'm heading back to MD as much as possible during the summertime.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/1999-bayliner-3055-ciera-103343088/?refSource=standard%20listing

My first thought is...#### that's a big boat for a first time owner. Second thought, #### that's an old boat...in my limited experience, boats aren't like old school 4runners, they aren't going to last forever.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Boatbuy.net

Jul 10, 2018, 7:33 PM

Obed

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my1999, 16ft, $2500 pontoon runs pretty good still.

Jul 10, 2018, 7:40 PM

'course we are just fishing off it, not partying and ripping the lake.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

very decent looking pleasure craft for that money

Jul 10, 2018, 8:02 PM

but really I know next to nothing about them, except that I aspire to be able to have one one day

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No....just no.

Jul 10, 2018, 8:05 PM

Do not buy a Bayliner. They're pretty much built to a low standard to hit a low price to entice first time buyers into boating.

They just aren't good boats, and they cut corners everywhere in the boat's construction.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Price value does not equal boat value.

Jul 10, 2018, 8:08 PM

I'll pass that along with the tip on the manufacturer...thanks for the info.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No worries.....I mean, it's not going to just sink or

Jul 10, 2018, 8:17 PM

blow up because it's a Bayliner, but it's just built to a different standard.

Gelcoat in the lockers, well secured and routed wiring looms, quality cabin materials, etc.....

Look at the engine compartment.....cheap gas struts holding up that heavy engine hatch instead of an electric/hydraulic lift....single hose clamps on thru-hull fittings....

Also, I believe there should be a genset on that platform between the two engines. There doesn't appear to be one, which means that you'll only have the niceties of a cruiser while you're on shorepower.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what would you wreck or mend Cap'n?

Jul 10, 2018, 8:08 PM [ in reply to No....just no. ]

Seriously want to get a boat in the future.

Of course, I need to oceanside condo first, but hey, dude has to dream.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For a cruiser like grouching posted?

Jul 10, 2018, 8:21 PM

for an upper 20 foot/30-ish foot cruiser, I like Cobalt and Formula the best (I'm biased, I have a Formula).

Following closely though are Regal, Cruisers, Sea Ray, Chris Craft, etc.

There's a lot of good boat brands out there.....for a 20 year old boat like this one, starting with a good brand is step one. Buying from a meticulous owner who serviced it regularly, has service records, and was completely #### retentive about owning it is just as important.

Grouching, if your friends are new to boating, I'd recommend them paying a few hundred bucks for a marine survey. I wouldn't buy a 30 foot salt water boat without one.

They are the cautious sort, so I'm sure they will look into

Jul 10, 2018, 8:24 PM

that. They are also both doing all classes they can before they buy so they aren't "those people" out on the water, doing stupid stuff that just pisses everyone off.

yep, a Power Squadron course is super helpful.

Jul 10, 2018, 8:27 PM

Especially for navigation purposes if they're going to be cruising the Intracoastal.

There was a time when Bayliner wasn't even using marine grade plywood in their boats. It would make me sick to think of them buying a boat like that and it having a soft transom or bad stringers.

Those Fomula's and Cobalt's aren't really cruisers in the

Jul 11, 2018, 9:20 AM [ in reply to For a cruiser like grouching posted? ]

respect that that Sea Ray, Regal, and even Bayliner are....those are more sport cabins. Don't have the interior room of the true cruisers. I wouldn't consider them the same category.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not really......Formula has the PC line that definitely

Jul 11, 2018, 10:36 AM

competed with the cruisers you mentioned.

I forgot about those...Didn't they start around 35' though?

Jul 11, 2018, 10:50 AM

And probably cost half a million dollars

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw one on Shem Creek the other week that had 4 Mercury

Jul 11, 2018, 11:11 AM

Verado 350's on it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Naw man....you can get a ton of boat for the $$$

Jul 11, 2018, 10:34 PM [ in reply to I forgot about those...Didn't they start around 35' though? ]

If you shop right.

https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-formula-27-pc-103332841/?refSource=standard%20listing

Lakebum1®

for a lake boat get a hurricane

Jul 10, 2018, 8:36 PM [ in reply to what would you wreck or mend Cap'n? ]

ask Lakebum1®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What do you want to do with it?

Jul 11, 2018, 9:23 AM [ in reply to what would you wreck or mend Cap'n? ]

My wife and I have seriously considered a cruiser for ICW trips, weekends on the lake, etc. Sea Ray is your best bet if you're wanting to over night, they've got the best look and layouts IMO and can be had for a song in many cases. People buy them, slip them, and use them 3 or 4 times a year. We looked at a 2007 31' that only had 250 hours not too long ago.

If you're going to have a condo or something I'd go center console or dual console. Outboard or V-drives regardless of boat if you can, I wouldn't keep I/O's for exclusively salt water boating.

Look for Sea Ray prices to tumble

Jul 11, 2018, 9:28 AM

They have been for sale, and are closing the Merritt Island plant, which makes the sport cruisers above about 24'. There is another plant somewhere in Florida that they are also closing. About 600 people total are going to be let go.

The only remaining production will be in TN, on the < 23' deck boats and bow riders.

Re: Look for Sea Ray prices to tumble

Jul 11, 2018, 9:29 AM

Again, never were a good boat. Their name superseded their quality

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought I read they were focusing on the sub 40' boats

Jul 11, 2018, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Look for Sea Ray prices to tumble ]

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop, and they're going to be some of the better built cruisers out there. Chaparral build quality has gone down lately, and the cruisers really are just ugly. They've got that bleach bottle look to them. Regals aren't too bad, they've got a new outboard cruiser option that's pretty cool. Probably $200k new though.

We were looking at late 2000's Sundancer 290's. Just on the verge of being trailerable, but probably not real feasible even then. You just don't get much cabin space until you get over 28' or so.

I've read they will only be making up to 23' ers

Jul 11, 2018, 9:38 AM

The market for the $200k and up cruiser has just disappeared. For that kind of money, someone who is spending that much is either going to a high HP CC fishing boat, or a Sportfish style.

Heh, $200k will get you what, a 25' Grady or Scout?

Jul 11, 2018, 9:48 AM

I think the 25' Scouts are more in the $150k range.

A lot of the boat market is changing, outboard deck boats, cruising oriented center consoles, it's a strange new world. I'd buy a Key West 263FS tomorrow if I could afford it. Might be the best blend of family and function out there that I've seen, behind the Sea hunt 255 Ultra. Some of those other brands just aren't affordable for the common man anymore.

Boat prices are crazy.

Jul 11, 2018, 10:06 AM

They just keep going up, and the boats keep getting bigger. If there is another crash..it will be a good time to buy.

I've gotten 3 quotes on a Sea Hunt 255 Ultra

Jul 11, 2018, 10:19 AM

Only one was under $80k, the other two were mid 80's....For a 25' boat with single engine. I expect the Key West will be around $10k more since it's got twins.

Used center consoles are tough right now unless fishing is your primary goal, all of the ones that are more cruising friendly came out within the last two years or so. I figure around 2020 or so will be a good time to snag some deals on used ones, after the people either go broke or realize they're not using the boat very much.

I'd bet the Key West will be more than that

Jul 11, 2018, 10:26 AM

Figure another $20K just for the engine (I-4 200's?) plus rigging, plus, Key Wests are more expensive.

Did you call Chatlee in Sanford, NC on the Sea Hunt? They are the cheapest on the east coast. They are a high volume dealer-Sea Hunts biggest.

I think they've got counter rotating 175's now, I'd probably

Jul 11, 2018, 10:42 AM

go that route on the Key West. I've read they may option a single 300 and 350 too, which I'd probably prefer. Redundancy is nice, but I like less maintenance.

I did call them, they were the cheapest. Mid Carolina marine has a demo I'm keeping my eye on right now, I'll check back with them at the end of the year if it's still there. Really more money than we need to spend on a boat though, we'd be fine with a 235SE or 234 but when my wife looked at them side by side she obviously preferred the 255.

The good thing about Sea Hunts is that people don't seem

Jul 11, 2018, 10:50 AM

to keep them very long. I've seen several relatively new 234's for sale in the last few months. I haven;t been really looking for 255's, but I'd bet some are out there.

I think they've looked at a couple of those as well.

Jul 11, 2018, 12:03 PM [ in reply to What do you want to do with it? ]

They'll be taking it out in the Chesapeake, day/weekend cruising, stuff like that.

Re: No....just no.

Jul 11, 2018, 9:24 AM [ in reply to No....just no. ]

Bayliner was the first boat to not be hand laid. (Joke is there somewhere). They are truly pieces of sheet. Plus their seat are the lowest grade vinyl possible.

Any company that made a deal with Force aka Mercury is trash.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chopped strand fiberglass has its place.

Jul 11, 2018, 9:34 AM

That place is not the hull or keel however.

For $19,500 I would think they could probably just buy a lot

Jul 11, 2018, 9:24 AM

of beer and jet skis and skip the Power Squadron classes altogether.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Anyone had any experience with the Zeus Pod drives ?***

Jul 11, 2018, 10:04 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A friend has them on his 60' Sea Ray.

Jul 11, 2018, 10:07 AM

They are pretty nice.

I found out recently that the boat my inlaws have sitting

Jul 11, 2018, 10:14 AM

on a lot by Keowee is a 30something foot Doral cabin cruiser. No idea of the year or the exact model but I think it's early 2000s. I'm sure the interior is a shambles at this point and it would need a hell of a tuneup to get running, but they said they'd give it to me if I wanted it.

Another project I don't need and don't have time for that I will probably not take on for a few years.

ROH

Doral isn't a terrible boat

Jul 11, 2018, 10:22 AM

I'd be curious to know how bad it actually was, is it on a trailer? Any interest in selling it?

It is on a trailer and I'm interested to know the condition

Jul 11, 2018, 10:34 AM

as well. I'm sure they'd be interested in selling it. It's just sitting there and they're paying taxes on it.

At what point do you have to have a special permit to transport a boat on public roads? Apparently it was big enough to need that when they brought it up from Charleston.

ROH

I think 8' 6" is the magic number in most states

Jul 11, 2018, 10:48 AM

But most anything over 24' or so is bigger than that, and people trailer those all of the time without permits. Mine is 8' 9". I'd try to wing it with anything under 10' probably as long as you weren't going very far. Depending on how long that trailer has been sitting the brakes may be locked up, hubs bad, etc. though.

Do you know how long it's been sitting?

It's been sitting since 2007-2008 I believe so I wouldn't

Jul 11, 2018, 11:02 AM

trust anything about the brakes, tires, etc. If you want some more info on it, I can see if my inlaws can dig up some more on it. I asked them about it earlier this summer in passing and they couldn't even tell me who made it off the top of their heads.

The full story on it is that they brought it up from Charleston and dropped it off at this lot where the guy was going to do whatever needed to be done to move from saltwater to freshwater. A few months later the guy had a stroke and died so the son tried to take over a year or two later and not a whole lot happened after that. I looked up the lot on google maps and it's not even a business of any kind listed now. Just a lot full of boats on the image.

ROH

Did they ever winterize it or flush the saltwater?

Jul 11, 2018, 11:10 AM

If not..its done.

Not so fast, my friend.

Jul 11, 2018, 11:17 AM

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would think it's fresh water cooled, but the drives are

Jul 11, 2018, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Did they ever winterize it or flush the saltwater? ]

probably shot for sure. I'm sure you'd have to rebuild the motors, if not replace completely. Probably $15-$20k just in getting in running. It'd be a big project, but might be worth it depending on the current condition.

I have no idea and my inlaws probably don't either since

Jul 11, 2018, 12:25 PM [ in reply to Did they ever winterize it or flush the saltwater? ]

the guy that was supposed to be doing it all died.

ROH

8'6" is the maximum width before you need permits.

Jul 11, 2018, 10:48 AM [ in reply to It is on a trailer and I'm interested to know the condition ]

Greater than that, and it requires special permits, time of day restrictions, and "wide load" banners as it gets wider and wider.

https://wideloadshipping.com/south-carolina-state-shipping-regulations/

Replies: 43
| visibility 782
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic