Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any chance Clemson could land the No. 1 recruiting class
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Any chance Clemson could land the No. 1 recruiting class

May 14, 2014, 10:08 PM

this year?

Message was edited by: clemson43®

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes.

May 14, 2014, 10:19 PM

But we need to land Settle, Huggins, and Hines. Plus a few more 4*.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Yes.

May 14, 2014, 10:27 PM

Probably not gonna happen but we are still in it for some studs who knows.

Probably one more OL
We would need to hit on settle, huggins, jones, and bryant. We just made Roseboro top 10

We are in good position with Simmons at LB. De Berry likes coach v and Clemson but who knows where he stands though. Gonna add parks and Briscoe more than likely. Hoping and praying Parks gets his teammate Lewis to join. Kid is a stud
Campbell would definitely help
Hines and Lands Davis would be good as well.
Clemson has a legit shot at top 5 and definitely top 10

If we land everyone you just named then

May 14, 2014, 10:28 PM

definitely yes...#1.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: If we land everyone you just named then

May 15, 2014, 9:11 AM

Not a chance... If we landed everyone on that list, we probably end up top 5 at best. Alabama had the #1 class last season. Looking at just the enrolled guys, they had six 5* players, 4 were #1 at their position and 2 were #2. Their twelve 4* enrollees included the #1 OT, #2 all purpose back, #2 WDE, #2 OG, #2 Ath, #4 DT.

LSU had the #5 class, which wasn't nearly as heavy on 5*s, but did include 14 players ranked in the top 10 at their position. Their lowest ranked recruit was a 3* ranked as the 11th best OT. That's another thing that will hurt Clemson's rankings. We'll be heavy with the heavies and other than DE and the occassional DT, those guys usually don't get highly rated. This season, with a couple OTs getting in the top 10 nationally and Clemson getting one of them is a high mark for OL rankings.

Nice breakdown

May 16, 2014, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Yes. ]

Are we in the hunt for Bryce Love or Eric Swinney? Is there a reason you leave out Tuttle?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

I really do not think so.

May 14, 2014, 10:27 PM

The top class usually has several 9-10 4*'s and a couple of 5's.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have 8 4-stars and a 5-star right now***

May 15, 2014, 9:58 AM

We don't have any 6 star players.

May 16, 2014, 11:32 AM

You didn't even address the 6 star players. It's like you think we can't even get one.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We have 8 4-stars and a 5-star right now***

May 19, 2014, 10:50 AM [ in reply to We have 8 4-stars and a 5-star right now*** ]

I have always went by Rivals rankings. We have 3 4 stars. Maybe ESPN is better and more accurate, but top programs have top athletes from all recruiting programs. I hope ESPN is right and the others are wrong though.

No

May 14, 2014, 11:00 PM

Even if we took every 5* on the board! they would just be devalued to 3-4*. That's ok with me... We're playing football, not recruiting. I like to think it leaves guys with a little chip on their shoulder.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably not...but in top five for sure. Watch OUT Coots....

May 15, 2014, 12:05 AM

for DabO & his boys are coming to get you..sooner than later! GoTigers!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe...if

May 15, 2014, 12:15 AM

we land Campbell, Huggins, and one of the other big D linemen (Settle, Tuttle, Thompson)
plus a few others

I'm hoping for top 3

May 15, 2014, 12:57 AM

With the quality of prospects still out there who have us on their list, I think that's realistic. Alabama has all but locked up first place, so second is probably the upper limit.

According to ESPiN, the top recruiter in the country is...

May 15, 2014, 1:10 AM

Billy Napier @ Bama. Too bad we couldn't have kept him around as recruiting coordinator.... more for Clemson and less for Bama. We're doing fantastic but it might have been even better.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was he fired?

May 15, 2014, 1:33 AM

I can't remember

# 1 because he's at Ala.***

May 15, 2014, 8:35 AM [ in reply to According to ESPiN, the top recruiter in the country is... ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Certainly helps but Satan couldn't do it alone...***

May 15, 2014, 4:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Easy to be #1 when 5 stars are calling you wanting a scholly***

May 15, 2014, 12:50 PM [ in reply to According to ESPiN, the top recruiter in the country is... ]

GO TIGERS!!

No because...

May 15, 2014, 8:46 AM

ESPN.

Naw, Tenn***

May 15, 2014, 8:50 AM

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

No, we don't oversign***

May 15, 2014, 9:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

2 scenarios where we would

May 15, 2014, 10:04 AM

1. Land Huggins, Thompson, Campbell and a slew of other 3-4 star players, which would give us a signing class of about 27

2. Completely end recruiting all together and keep only our 13 current commits, but join the SEC

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

' Sorry, No...but thanks for trying. ' - E$ecPN***

May 15, 2014, 11:16 AM

Can someone explain to me why this is even a question?

May 15, 2014, 12:43 PM

Is the #1 ranking meaningful at all? Considering that we have very little idea how good most players will be in college, it seems to me that the only purpose of such an exact ranking system is to artificially create consumer interest.

We already know that these recruiting services change rankings based on illegitimate criteria like which team he is committed to, or how much footage they have of him. Seems like anyone who was aware of all the crap that goes into rankings would lose interest. Following professional wrestling makes more sense than this.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Answer

May 15, 2014, 1:17 PM

2011 Recruiting Class Rankings:
1. FSU
2. Alabama

2012 Recruiting Class Rankings
1. Alabama
2. FSU

Two teams with the best records in 2012 and 2013 seasons:
1. FSU 26-2 (National Champion 2013)
2. Alabama 24-3 (National Champion 2012)

Re: Answer

May 15, 2014, 3:27 PM

The truth is right here ?.
Teams like Oregon , Oklahoma , Alabama , FSU and Ohio State succeed at a high level year in and year out because they get great players on a consistent basis and that translates into wins.
It doesn't always follow this pattern , but having the highly thought-of guys to operate on the field for a school usually puts you at an advantage , an example would be our century long domination of USuC , we have been more even since 2007 in recruiting and they have turned the tables on us a bit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Are you aware that they adjust player rankings based on who

May 15, 2014, 3:38 PM [ in reply to Answer ]

they commit to and are recruiting by?

Self-fulfilling prophecy.

They make sure that the recruiting rankings stack up with teams who they also project to do well.

It took them forever to realize USC (the real one) wasn't going to compete like they used to. All their recruits were 5 stars despite their teams sucking for 5 years. Now, not so much.

SEC teams are always going to have inflated rankings because it's an easy lie to get away with.

It's a game of manipulation, and the stat you just used is a huge part of that manipulation.

And all of that misses the biggest point. Teams who are consistently in the top 10 may be doing well, but acting as if having the #1 recruiting ranking is any better than having #3 or #5 is a joke. It's a fabricated competition.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Any chance Clemson could land the No. 1 recruiting class

May 15, 2014, 12:59 PM

no...

^^^^^what an idgit

May 15, 2014, 1:03 PM

there is always a chance especially with the start we have. It can be unlikely for something to happen but to say out right no is asinine! The OP said is there a chance!

Sort of like, is there a chance no UGA players will be arrested in the offseason, it's unlikely but there is a chance!

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

Probably not ... but that's OK, considering

May 15, 2014, 3:33 PM

Our class is heavy with linemen, who rarely get the gaudy numbers that propel a school to the top of recruiting.

But comparing our incoming linemen with those of other schools, even if we don't hit No. 1 we're gonna be the winners.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes

May 15, 2014, 3:54 PM

I think at this point anything is possible. Not sure how many we can take, that will prolly be the determining factor of our final ranking.

May 15, 2014, 6:14 PM

Hey on Rivals you are ranked No.4.....We slid into the No.5 position...but with 3 less commitments....

May 15, 2014, 10:20 PM

That's great, no one gives a ####

Caution, chicken manure is slippery.***

May 16, 2014, 8:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Any chance Clemson could land the No. 1 recruiting class ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Caution, chicken manure is slippery.***

May 16, 2014, 10:10 AM

One or two more commitments and we will slip past you with that slippery mess....lol. We already have a higher player rating than everyone but Alabama...

Monroe you love stirring up trouble...***

May 16, 2014, 10:32 AM

Re: Monroe you love stirring up trouble...***

May 16, 2014, 10:57 AM

I am NOT stirring up trouble. I was just telling the basic truth. I NEVER put down Tiger players, coaches or the university. I just stated some truths and if it rubs people the wrong way then that says more about them than me. I posted a Clowney thread the other day. No body want to read about Clowney's success. They posted and chimed in on thousands of negative post...called him lazy..stupid...overrated....He gets selected first...signs some great endorsement deals...and after more than a thousand posts over the course of his stay at South Carolina...it was "no more". I guess if you can't run a young mans life into the ground, you want no part. I like Tajh, and Sammy and Nuk are going to be good NFL players. I would never define someone by where they went to school. I am a little above that. Clemson is a rival but that's all it is...a sports rival....has nothing to do with these young men's character. Get over it.

Dude calm down I was just joking.

May 16, 2014, 11:05 AM

People take this stuff too serious. It's just sports. Also, you are on a Clemson message board so people aren't going to be that accepting of anything that praises the gamecocks.

Does it matter? Chad Kelley left.***

May 16, 2014, 10:59 AM

May 16, 2014, 11:32 AM

Coots showing ahead of Tigers in averaging stars of players who have verbally committed. Have fewer verbal commits as well.

Between Farrell and Shurburtt, what do expect?***

May 16, 2014, 11:37 AM

Dabo always gets who Dabo wants!

May 19, 2014, 11:06 AM

Re: Dabo always gets who Dabo wants! - Except in CLT

May 19, 2014, 11:23 AM

Clemson football is a major brand name, especially across the South. As such, it’s no surprise that Clemson does so well pulling top rated recruits out of cities like Atlanta and Jacksonville. What draws lamentations though, is Clemson’s inability to do so in Charlotte, NC. Clemson’s campus is located a mere two hours from Charlotte, closer than any other school in a “Power Five” conference except Wake Forest and South Carolina. As such, many Clemson fans feel Clemson is missing a tremendous opportunity. How tremendous is that opportunity? We’ll focus on hard data from the 2009 to 2014 recruiting classes to find out.

4 & 5 Star Recruits from the Charlotte Metro

We look exclusively at these elite recruits because we can any college football program would be interested in the majority of them, given the average rating for even the best recruiting class is less than 4.00 (Alabama had the highest average star rating in 2012 at 3.92). As you can see in the table above, Charlotte has only produced 20 four or five-star college football recruits in the past six recruiting cycles. Therefore, even if a University were to dominate the area and get over 50% of the top recruits, it would only amount to about two recruits per cycle on average. Not exactly a tremendous opportunity, though nothing to ignore.

To further dig into the data, I broke the data by the recruit’s destination school (where they enrolled out of high school) and by graduating class. Below, in bold is the University with the number of four or five-star recruits from the Charlotte metro to the right. Below that, it is detailed out by the recruiting class. Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina were the only schools to pull multiple of these elite recruits to their program in this six year window. North Carolina did the best job, as you can see the highlighted seven, indicating they’ve pulled seven over this time span including three in 2009.

Destination of 4 & 5 Star Recruits from the Charlotte Metro

North Carolina pulled and impressive 35% (7/20) of the top recruits from the area. This is enough to make fans of other nearby schools shutter with envy. South Carolina and Clemson, both of which are closer to Charlotte than Chapel Hill and are more prominent football programs, combined to land only three recruits. Now to dig a little deeper, we look at each recruit by name, position, and star rating. The columns are (from left to right): destination school, Rivals 4* recruits, Rivals 5* recruits, and the sum of both.

4 & 5 Star Recruits from the Charlotte Metro

With all the detailed information now presented, we see that Germone Hopper is the lone elite recruit from this window who signed with Clemson University. He redshirted 2012 and didn’t make a big impact in 2013. He also missed part of Spring Camp due to academic issues. Although one could parse through and pick out “busts,” it is not a sound logical endeavor because it supposes that elite recruits from Charlotte are not as good as elite recruits from other places. With a sample of just 20 players, this is unfair conjecture. Furthermore it fails to consider that players from other cities may be more likely to go to schools with better coaching staffs. It is best to trust the expert evaluates and assume an unspecified four or five-star will more often than not be better than a lesser rated recruit.

The above table about also breaks out the star ratings to separate the four and five-star recruits. Of the four five-star recruits, three went to SEC schools. Again, this is a small sample size, but if you’re a Clemson fan you’d like to do better.

Overall, we see that Charlotte does not produce a tremendous amount of elite prospects on an annual basis. 3.33 per cycle was the average for the six year window inspected. That said, no one school has dominated the area, though Florida has pulled two of the four five-star prospects while North Carolina has pulled six of the 16 four-star prospects. Finally, we see Clemson has pulled just one elite recruit from the area, so while the opportunity may not be as huge as many have lamented, it is hard to deny the data which loudly proclaims that Clemson is not succeeding in pulling the elite college football recruits from the Charlotte metro area.

http://ryankantor.com/2014/05/19/football-recruiting-charlotte-what-does-data-say-clemson/

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic