Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Another "What the H3!! happened to the SEC West" Article
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Another "What the H3!! happened to the SEC West" Article

Jan 6, 2015, 12:40 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/1/6/7492491/sec-football-bowl-games-2014

Personally... I believe we could have beaten any SEC team East or West, in any Bowl this year. Based on the way our guys were playing at the end of the year. In particular I think I D could crush about any offense out there.

Yea I'm biased! But at least not like ESecPN.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One explanation...

Jan 6, 2015, 12:44 PM

SEC West teams were overrated so that they ended up taking all the tough match-ups in the SEC bowl games. SEC East teams didn't have great years, so they ended up with easier match-ups (Florida/ECU; Georgia/ UofL [although I thought UofL was going to beat UGa]; SCU/ Miami; Mizzou/ Minnesota; UT; Iowa).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So this clown uses "Coot logic" to explain....

Jan 6, 2015, 12:46 PM

the $EC Wests dismal performance in he post season.

They were too beat-up from playing such a tough $EC West schedule.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I agree with you

Jan 6, 2015, 12:50 PM

Our defense was unreal this year. I believe we can crush anyone. Note, we had only about 8 minutes of bad defense against UGA. FSU was total shut down as well as vs GT (before DW injury). To hold any team under 100 yards is tremendous and I believe (i could be mistaken) that we did it twice.

If we had half descent offense (sorry Cole), I think we would have been the national champs.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Enjoyed this gem in the comment section

Jan 6, 2015, 12:51 PM

"A&M got a ton of credit for beating a South Carolina team that turned out to be a turd"

The SEC west was over rated all along.

Jan 6, 2015, 12:59 PM

The author didn't fully explore that. He went off on a tangent about the value of computer ranking which were founded on preseason human polls. The computer poll then pushed the west teams all year and eventually pushed them upward into higher profile bowl games against better teams.

The computer poll is only as valuable as the human poll which is factored into the formula. FSU proved the worthlessness of the computer poll it did not verify it's value.

The bottom line is that the which was the better team they took the field. It doesn't end there, Slive and the SEC collected the same money win or lose all those high profile bowls. This must end, we can't compete forever with teams that collect four or five million dollars each in post season revenues.

I can't believe the football world doesn't see what's happening here. This isn't about who is best it's about who gets the biggest payday and the SEC is laughing all the way to the bank.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The SEC west was over rated all along.

Jan 6, 2015, 1:12 PM

^^
Exactly. Computers don't create input...just spit the results out.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The SEC is now 0-5 over the last 2 years in "big" bowls

Jan 6, 2015, 2:22 PM

OU over Bama in the Sugar
FSU over Auburn in the BCS Championship

TCU over Miss in Peach (now part of the playoff = BCS of previous years)
GT over Miss St in Orange
OSU over Bama in Sugar

Going back more
Bama over ND in BCS
Louisville over Florida in Sugar

LSU and Bama in BCS

Ohio St over Arkansas in Sugar
Auburn over Oregon in BCS

2009 was the last time the SEC went undefeated in marquee bowls (with the caveate of 11)

Re: The SEC is now 0-5 over the last 2 years in "big" bowls

Jan 6, 2015, 2:34 PM

2012, ND did not deserve to be there and clearly they were not the best team to go a NC game.
2011, obvious where we have SEC vs SEC.
2010, we have scam newton.

3 of the last championships to the SEC are questionable. So the only thing that I can say about their legacy is aaaaaa-chew....

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Re: The SEC is now 0-5 over the last 2 years in "big" bowls

Jan 6, 2015, 2:37 PM [ in reply to The SEC is now 0-5 over the last 2 years in "big" bowls ]

I know how you guys feel about STS but I think they've given the best explanation so far:

The SEC West was decent this year but not great or close to the best. Why/How they still go rated so high over the course of the season is simple. Alabama and Auburn were considered elite at the beginning of the year (and for pretty good reasons imo at least in the case of Ala.) and when they lost to the Mississippi schools the pollsters assumed that the the Miss. schools were ALSO elite instead of assuming that maybe they were wrong about Alabama and Auburn being elite.

The best examples of this were Ole Miss beating Alabama and then losing to LSU/Auburn/Arkansas and still being ranked #9 at the end of the season.

The bowls proved that the SEC West was just deep and not elite.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if the lower-rung SEC schools win some conference games again next year... will the pollsters make the same mistake and promote those schools or will they start treating the SEC like all of the other conferences finally and downwardly adjust their top-end schools appropriately?

It all started with an overrated SC team

Jan 6, 2015, 4:00 PM

and it can be traced back to there.

TAMU jumped up something like 11 spots for beating SC. Played 3 or 4 cupcakes, struggled to beat Arky (maybe) and then lost to Miss St.

Miss St had skyrocketed after beating an overrated top 10 LSU who should have lost to Wisconsin if their coach wasn't an idiot and discovered the forward pass while up 3 TDs.

Ole Miss started off too high after a 7-5 season just because of hype.

It was a right handed circle jerk from the beginning.

It's not "what happened to the SEC west"

Jan 6, 2015, 2:29 PM

It's "how did we over rate them all year"

Re: It's not "what happened to the SEC west"

Jan 6, 2015, 4:11 PM

the problem with the sec is simple. the west had an anomaly in ole miss and miss st being highly thought of by the brilliance of espn and the like. those are traditionally not good teams and are not factors. that division is a 3 horse race typically with au, bama, and lsu. sec east flat out sucks. ut and gators being down crushes them. if mizzou is winning east, there's a major issue. very similar to acc coastal. if duke wins coastal, that's bad business for us. Miami and vt need to get their #### together - and quick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: Another "What the H3!! happened to the SEC West" Article

Jan 6, 2015, 4:39 PM

I thought eSECpn had already determined that they "beat each other up" during the season cause they were so SKRONG.

1. The West was overrated all along.

Jan 6, 2015, 4:43 PM

THIS is the only logical statement.

The rest of the article is coot logic.

Re: Another "What the H3!! happened to the SEC West" Article

Jan 6, 2015, 8:41 PM

I will answer this question for you pal. They simply got their collective arses handed to them by better teams.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic