Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sunday sermon: The game that matters
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Sunday sermon: The game that matters

Nov 11, 2012, 9:41 AM

"Let us throw off everything that hinders ... and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

One race will come to an end next week.

By the time the Sons of Clemson take the field Saturday, we'll all know whether or not the ACC title game is in reach.

You didn't REALLY expect me to beat FSU, did you?

Well, actually, I think we already know. That Maryland team that proved little more than cannon fodder for the Tigers is the only thing standing between FSU and a near-certain coronation in Charlotte in December. And they kick off at noon. Which means, by about 12:30, the issue should be settled.

That leaves Clemson without a hope of repeating as ACC champion. And with the Wolves literally at the door in what likely will be the toughest game since we fell in Tally so many weeks ago.

So, how do we run this last leg? Do we daydream about what might have been ... or worse, do we focus on feathers another week hence?

Or do we use next Saturday's showdown with the Wuffies for its proper purpose....revenge and foretelling?

2011: Boy, Tajh, you sure are easy to catch!

I'm sure I don't need to remind folks about what a wretched game we suffered against NC State last year. Tahj was in his full-blown Doughboy phase, our guys had forsaken the playbook for press clippings, and we were absolutely convinced that nobody could stand against our mighty offensive machine.

In short, we quit running the race. We were Usain Bolt breaking into a jog 20 meters from the finish, blowing kisses to the crowd.

NC State made us pay for that. We were awful, and the Wuffies played like gangbusters. The No. 8 Tigers played more like No. 2 becoming the first Top 10 victim of Tom O'Brien at State, and we didn't sniff the end zone until about two minutes remaining in the game.

It was, without doubt, the most frustrating game last year ... and one I hope gets brought up repeatedly during preparations this week.

Not South Carolina. Not a possible Sugar Bowl game. Not the untold possibilities and wealth and glory of the BCS.

Because without this game, none of those matter.

As fans, we get to luxuriate in long-range hopes and dreams. We get to read the tea leaves and worry about what Oklahoma and La. Tech mean.

I may not be Usain Bolt, but I'm running hard.

But those aren't the games that matter. State matters. State is ALL that matters.

Everything rises and falls on Saturday at 3:30. After that, we're either looking at what could be ... or what might have been.

I don't want to look at what might have been. And, after the lessons of last November, I believe our guys won't be in a mood to wave to the crowd before we hit the finish line.

We didn't come this far to falter, Tigers.

Finish the race.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sunday sermon: The game that matters

Nov 11, 2012, 9:57 AM

Great Job. I always look forward to you Sunday Sermons!

Finish the Race!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well said...or preached***

Nov 11, 2012, 10:03 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

100% correct.

Nov 11, 2012, 10:10 AM

Gotta win the one in front of you.

this could really end up being a great great season

Nov 11, 2012, 10:20 AM

I for one will never take winnning for granted ever again....growing Ho watching the great clemson teams of thr 80's and early 90's...I thought that was how it woukd always be......boy how wrong I was....these are with out a doubt great times in clemson football....we will handle state and the rest is gravy.......as long as no one leaves early for nfl......man next season could be that one we have all been wating for.....go tigers.

Rev You sholuld give the pregame speach!

Nov 11, 2012, 10:25 AM

SACK THE PACK! GO TIGERS!

And the congregation stood in unison shouting "AMEN"******

Nov 11, 2012, 12:07 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bump for the nightsiders ...***

Nov 11, 2012, 5:51 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2012, 5:59 PM

Preach it!

Nov 11, 2012, 6:13 PM

Be well balanced, be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring, seeking someone to seize upon and devour. Withstand him; be firm in faith knowing that the same sufferings are appointed to your brotherhood throughout the world. 1 Peter 5: 8-9

As Dabo says, this is the most important game...this time

Nov 11, 2012, 9:45 PM

fur sho!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As Dabo says, this is the most important game...this time

Nov 11, 2012, 11:47 PM

Preach it Rev!! Get in that locker room and preach it every day this week too!

Wow...loved that Duct Tape job on the Terp! Where can I buy

Nov 12, 2012, 10:42 AM

this brand tape? Haaaaaaaaaa

GoTiGERs....beat the Pack!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good gracious, what a great post!

Nov 12, 2012, 4:43 PM

I hope the players read this. Thank ya Rev for such a great read.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic