Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
With the recent rulings by our "Conservative court"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 753

With the recent rulings by our "Conservative court"

Jun 18, 2020, 8:26 PM

Can Evangelicals possibly believe that Trumps appointees will over turn Roe? I mean that is why they support him, right? Maybe these single issue voters need to just accept that one, then start acting like good Christians and elect leaders with a moral compass and some semblance of empathy. It is what Jesus wants you to do, he told me the other night in prayer.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: With the recent rulings by our "Conservative court"

Jun 18, 2020, 8:36 PM

All those democrats cities that are burning look like they are full of empathy and morals.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2020, 9:14 PM

I am not seeing where the action of a few bad actors was adopted as policy by the democrats.

Jun 18, 2020, 9:38 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A few things....

Jun 18, 2020, 8:53 PM

I know very few “evangelicals” whose single voting issue is abortion. I’m not saying their aren’t people who are only voting on abortion, but I don’t know any.

On abortion, I think there are a lot of people who want to show justice to the unborn people who have no voice, but I am not one who believes that will happen.

For those voting in regard to the Supreme Court, the idea is that there was going to be turnover in the court and we didn’t want Hillary replacing those justices with activist judges. Seems that Trump’s appointees have been better than some previous Republican appointees as far as being who we thought they were.

On the recent rulings, I feel they were the correct rulings were on precedent. The LGBT ruling is fine until they start forcing churches to hire LGBT people. That will be a problem if/when that happens.

As far as a vote for Trump being a moral compromise - whether you think he is pandering to a conservative base or not, his policies line up with Evangelical beliefs more than others. The question I pose is which of the candidates have the moral high ground when truth has become decided by popular opinion, a term Stephen Colbert calls Wikitruth.

For Evangelicals, Pence would be the only one who comes close to the ideal candidate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A few things....

Jun 18, 2020, 9:12 PM

You did your best, But I still do not get the Evangelical support for him. My Boss' wife is a great example, one of the warmest, caring and wonderful people on the planet. She raised her children well and nobody lies in that family, yet she supports a pathological liar named Donald Trump.

It is such a mystery, and certainly I admit my opinion on evangelicals being single issue voters for abortion alone is based on my own beliefs and not so much an informed one. I believe that republican policies have very little in common with the teachings of Christ. That being said, the democrats are only slightly better in this regard.

I hear ya...

Jun 18, 2020, 9:24 PM

I believe I can vote for Trump and not be a “supporter” of Trump. He makes me cringe quite often. I feel like most of his policies get done what I want done.

I hear black people who have appreciation for Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton but feel uncomfortable with some of the things they say or do.

My other options would be 1) not to vote. I feel this to be morally untenable.

2) Vote for Biden. Since I believe next to nothing he stands for would a vote for him label me as a Biden supporter?

I can vote for a candidate on their policy and not be a supporter of that candidate.

Take it to a local race where there are two people I know nothing about, one Democrat and one republican. In that case I will vote for Republican because I am more in line with conservative policies than liberal/progressive poloicies.

Does that make me a supporter of that candidate?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

further...

Jun 18, 2020, 9:57 PM

I feel like the whole point of this is to try and shame people by tying them to one issue or thing. The idea is Trump says mean stuff or lies or whatever. You must support those things because you voted for him.

So, I'm assuming you are pro choice. Should I assume you receive joy from killing babies? I don't think that would be true.

Is it possible to have support for the plight of black people AND support the police?

Is it possible to think the George Floyd case to be murder but believe Rashard Brooks was not?

This is the problem we have in this country. This why we cannot have meaningful conversation. We shame people making false assumptions and then we get shocked when Trump wins an election when polls clearly show he won't.

Need to leave room for middle ground. You can't have compromise by beginning with where we disagree. We must start with common ground.

The other option is shaming the other side.

We blew past shaming a long time ago

Jun 18, 2020, 10:05 PM

Now we just label them morally reprehensible if not outright evil for the sin of seeing the world differently than we do.

Kind of a cliche, but it took off with social media. Before that, people wouldn’t dare say to someone’s face what they now post on social media—civility prevented it and that led to empathy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And good couple posts in a row, BTW.

Jun 18, 2020, 10:12 PM [ in reply to further... ]

You’re rolling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: further...

Jun 19, 2020, 12:14 AM [ in reply to further... ]

I don't see it that way Franc, the world is not binary, I argue the same point all of the time. I just think it is safe to say that abortion is a major reason why the Republicans own the evangelical vote. It has been the ultimate wedge issue, and kind of undermines any notion that I would believe that if you are for one thing, then you must be for another.

My entire premise is that there are single issue voters when it comes to reproductive rights and if said issue is little more than a red herring, then maybe it is time for evangelicals to reconsider what it is the republican party actually does for them on a federal level. Because guns and cutting taxes are about the only other things they are selling these days.

And when trump panders to his base that he will appoint "pro life justices", then it is a pretty good indicator that he knows that it is a major selling point on his re election. What he is really doing is stacking the courts with corporatists like Kavanagh that have a track record of heavily ruling in favor of corporate interests, and that is something I fundamentally take issue with, especially when he was championed as a potential vote for the pro life movement.

take this as shaming if you like, but evangelicals are being duped by the GOP on that issue.

my whole point waa the world is not binary

Jun 19, 2020, 2:09 AM

that's what all of those questions I asked demonstrated.

You say all these evangelicals are only voting on abortion, but then you throw in guns and cutting taxes.

I am not married to the Republican party. I do support conservative values that are completely opposed to the progressive idea that all truths are equally valid except when it comes to any absolute universal truth.

It sounds great in theory, but it doesn't work in reality. We can't all be guided by individual autonomy and continue as a civilized society. We can try to make each of us our own ultimate authority, but then what about our neighbor? Interesting that even Stephen Colbert, whom I'm not a huge fan, recognizes this democratization of truth. Truth becomes what you can get the most people to agree on. The end result of postmodern ideas lead to anarchy. We see it in CHAZ or CHOP or whatever they'll call it next week.

You obviously see my view as ignorant. Progressive ideals lead to freedom. However, I see progressive ideals lead to further bondage for all people. Progressive ideals conflate the idea of the right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" with the idea that everyone is the SAME on every level and should possess the exact same thing. Anything else is unfair. Again, sounds great. But it doesn't work. Not everyone one is as physically beautiful as the next. Not everyone is a smart as the next. Not everyone is as athletic as the next. Not everyone is as strong as the next. We are not the same. For a society who supposedly celebrates the beauty of diversity, we spend a lot of time trying to make everyone the same.

We have the right to life, unless we are an inconvenient fetus created because your cell donors were only considering their individual autonomy and their own rights.

We should have the right to live freely, think freely, and speak freely. But we often forget our responsibility to our neighbor and their own right to be free. Our 24/7/365 connected world is run by the thought gestapo that tell you what to think and what to say and how to say it. Hardly my understanding of the word liberal.

Finally, while we are not equally gifted, we all have the right to pursue happiness. This means we each have the right to use the gifts and abilities that we do have to improve ourselves and our stations in life, and hopefully in that pursuit, try to help those around us to improve theirs.

It's easy to pretend like we are all the same. Hey, you have this and I don't. You got to give it to me! But promising and giving free things: free health care for all, free education for all, subsidized living wages for all is not only economically unfeasible but will never be sustainable for people who aren't pursuing happiness for themselves, because as you have witnessed as cities have burned, people rarely value that which they have not invested of their own resources.

The best way to fix our problems is not to hashtag BLM on blackouttuesday. The best way is to teach people personal responsibility for their fellow man. You want to make strides in the health of our society? Start with families. Our families are falling apart because people are selfish. They are focused on their rights and not their responsibilities. Broken families leave confused children struggling to belong - struggling to find their identity. It creates a domino effect of people who claim to be entitled, but in reality have no esteem for themselves, much less anyone else.

Oh no, this is not a "binary" argument. I am reminded that you and I can find common ground in humor, but not in our worldview.

These are the values that guide my vote. It's much more complex than abortion, guns, and tax cuts. I see nothing within the CURRENT Democrat party that does anything to improve our situation. I read. I listen. There is much talk about achieving a THEORETICAL EQUALITY, but nothing that actually helps people fulfill the EQUALITY spoken of in the Declaration of Independence. This equality is only achieved through self-discipline and personal responsibility. The government can't do it for you no matter how much money they throw at it. The government's role is to get out of your way and to prevent other people from infringing on those rights. People can use the government and work within it to provide a level ground for all citizens, but it is only assure the inalienable rights, not determine the outcome.

I am frustrated with the Republican party. Pubs have been too soft. Over the last several years they have folded as soon as those who desire the progressive utopia (which is a large portion of people in influential positions) start with the "they want to kill your children, they want to kill your grandparents, they want to destroy the planet." Trump, for all his idiotic and undiplomatic statements - for all his so-called "pandering" - is actually not cowering to the criticism and has actually done things differently than the do-nothing statesmen of at least the last 16 years, if not since Reagan.

I don't defend Trump. I don't need to. He is also not my savior. Most Trump voters, despite your opinion, are not as confused and gullible as you think. But you can believe that it is only the right, especially weak-minded evangelicals, that vote on "wedge issues" and that everybody on the other side is ignorant if you so choose. That is your right.

Re: my whole point waa the world is not binary

Jun 19, 2020, 8:59 AM

respond sat, rough day for me today***

Jun 19, 2020, 1:05 PM [ in reply to my whole point waa the world is not binary ]

Not sure what that means...

Jun 19, 2020, 1:33 PM

I’m sorry if you are having a rough day. I pray it goes better. That is not an evangelical jab. That’s just what I do.

And I genuinely like you.

Re: Not sure what that means...

Jun 19, 2020, 2:10 PM

no, just that your post deserves a proper response and my reading it thoroughly. I am just super busy at work, have dinner with the boss tonight, and really want to keep it to one liners today.

Okay, just make sure to keep the ladies off***

Jun 19, 2020, 2:30 PM

Re: Okay, just make sure to keep the ladies off***

Jun 20, 2020, 11:04 AM

I think we are agreeing in premise here. But i just want to point out that i am not directing this at you. You are the last person I would see as a thoughtless single issue voter. And I agree with most of what you said. I am just saying, that from my perspective, a good number of voters are very uniformed on the policy positions and vote based on emotion and fear. I only threw in guns and taxes because those are the wedge issue the GOP uses to its advantage. I am not accusing you are or all conservatives of voting on these issues alone.

I can not go any further with this argument because you and I disagree after thatr. But from my perspective, republicans and democrats use these wedge issue to pick off voters that otherwise are voting against their own self interest. You believe progressives are the ones limiting our freedoms, I believe the same of conservatives. I will stop there.

Me, I detest abortion, although consider it a necessary and will not get into why. But I am pro choice in the sense that it is not my right to determine at what stage of life do the rights of the fetus outweigh those of the mother. For me 3 months is already too long.

Re: A few things....

Jun 18, 2020, 10:14 PM [ in reply to A few things.... ]

those children will have justice farther along

I should have said that sentence better...

Jun 18, 2020, 10:19 PM

I know you understand the point...I doubt Roe v Wade will be overturned.

I'm try to avoid the "all lives matter" response, but kind of hard to claim you are fighting against injustice for the oppressed and standing up for those who have no voice and ignore those in the womb.

Jun 18, 2020, 9:14 PM

Welch

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 18, 2020, 10:22 PM

you mean someone gave their word, didnt keep it, and wants to give others a sermon on morals?

It's not as if any of us expected to overturn Roe v Wade.

Jun 18, 2020, 9:37 PM

WTph are you crowing about? More murdered children. I'm so proud of you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm for keeping a balanced SCOTUS. It has nothing to do with

Jun 19, 2020, 8:42 AM

Roe v Wade

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 753
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic