Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
People accusing Dabo of trying to run up the score need a
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

People accusing Dabo of trying to run up the score need a

Oct 7, 2013, 9:41 AM

reality check. Maybe we should give Syracuse a ribbon or trophy so they won't have their witty bitty feelings hurt.

WAKE UP PEOPLE! You didn't see us crying when WV hung 70 on us in the Orange Bowl. Sure, it sucked, it hurt bad...real bad. It was hard to come into work with that kind of showing.

But you know what we did? We sucked it up. We picked ourselves up of the turf and got to work in the offseason so it would never happen again.

And Syracuse should be thanking us for waking them up to reality. Because if they want to be relavant, they need to know where they stand so they can go to work.

Remember when Tommy Bowden would always let off the gas? Remember where that got us? People would come back and we'd wind up losing or barely escaping! IT IS THEIR JOB TO STOP US, NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.

You don't call of the dogs are stop being agressive in the second quarter. PERIOD.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: People accusing Dabo of trying to run up the score need a

Oct 7, 2013, 9:42 AM

This times infinity.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was the second quarter...

Oct 7, 2013, 9:43 AM

What do you want us to do... take a knee?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When the polls stop being a beauty contest....

Oct 7, 2013, 9:45 AM

and we get to a legitimate playoff format, the need to run-up the score with diminish.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: When the polls stop being a beauty contest....

Oct 7, 2013, 9:46 AM

I don't know how much Clemson was beautifying...it was the 2nd quarter lol. Did they want us to just play the first quarter? It was a graduated practice, but the tigers were still working on some stuff that may help them against real competition.

I completely agree....

Oct 7, 2013, 9:51 AM

Besides, it is not our job to stop ourselves.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2013, 9:48 AM

if Dabo really wanted to run up the score he could have gotten it to 60 or 70 in the 4th quarter when they were gassed. Obviously their program has some real losers in it and they need to straighten that out if they choose. Our job was to put the game away asap!!

This^^

Oct 7, 2013, 9:50 AM

Exactly.

Clemson easily left 24 points on the field....

Oct 7, 2013, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Re: People accusing Dabo of trying to run up the score need a ]

and that was before Dabo finally called-off the dogs.

Clemson could have very easily hung 70+ on Syracuse.

Oct 7, 2013, 9:49 AM

I agree

I don't think it was running up the score but I do think

Oct 7, 2013, 9:51 AM

that it was the wrong call at that point. I thought he should have kicked the field goal and taken the points. Just my opinion.

I can agree with this point from a pure coaching standpoint,

Oct 7, 2013, 10:04 AM

but I cannot agree with the people saying he was running it up. Was it the best coaching...that's debatable. Was it running up the score if we had gotten the TD...absolutely not.

Re: I don't think it was running up the score but I do think

Oct 7, 2013, 10:25 AM [ in reply to I don't think it was running up the score but I do think ]

Syracuse did just that in their last game with 3 minutes to go in the game and up by 30. Guess the coach forgot that he did that.

Oct 7, 2013, 9:52 AM

i thought he should have kicked the field goal. running up the score isn't the issue. everything obviously turned out ok though

If we had scored, he would have looked brilliant. We didn't

Oct 7, 2013, 10:07 AM

score, so yeah, we should've taken the points. It always goes that way on Monday morning...doesn't it? :)

No you kick the field goal and win 52-14***

Oct 7, 2013, 9:55 AM

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Re: No you kick the field goal and win 52-14***

Unless you score, then you win 56-14.

Amen!***

Oct 7, 2013, 9:56 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

People accusing him of running up the score are INSANE......

Oct 7, 2013, 10:04 AM

#1 IT'S THE 2ND QUARTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 we helped them out by going for it.........had we kicked the FG it woulda been 52-14

#3 even if he was trying to run it up........GOOD did you not hear/read what their players said last week??????

all that being said.........he shoulda kicked the FG just to get the points...........had it been 4th 1 or 2 go for it, but 5 take the points.

I am however in favor of running the score up on ANYBODY and EVERYBODY on our schedule.......they need to stop clemson not clemson stop clemson.

you people astound me

Yes, this board was crying over the WVU game, and we did not have 4th and goal from the 1 here.

We should have kicked that field goal, and we are fortunate that our talent is so far superior to that of the Cuse. They played with their hair on fire for the next quarter and a half because they were so ticked at our arrogant and unnecessary action

Kick the ball on 4th and 7

This is not the point. Point was that he wasn't trying to

Oct 7, 2013, 10:11 AM

run up the score. And we weren't crying about WV scoring 70 on us...we were crying because we were so unprepared for them. There's a difference.

There were people upset at WVU running up the score

Oct 7, 2013, 10:14 AM

But I honestly looked at it as a compliment that they kept their foot on the gas. The Orange Bowl was the perfect storm scenario. We had shown we could score and score quickly all season. They knew the only sure way to keep the game out of reach was to never let up, and to their credit they crushed us.

Sorry, I didn't realize that. All I know is I was down

Oct 7, 2013, 10:24 AM

there in Miami freezing my butt off and we were getting our teeth kicked in because we weren't ready for the spot light. I don't know about others, but my issue was with our team, not with WVU.

Two different things to me

Oct 7, 2013, 10:13 AM [ in reply to you people astound me ]

1) I agree that we should've kicked there, but only because its the right football strategy to take your points there and not give them defensive momentum.

2) Neither action is "running up the score" on the road in the first half against an opponent who is capable of scoring points. We were beating them, but they had a pulse. It seems more insulting to think of them as the sort of team that you stop trying to score against in the first half, then it is to keep scoring at will in the first half.

I don't think we were "running up the score" either

Oct 7, 2013, 10:18 AM

But I do think it was the wrong football choice

I think it was arrogant to think we were just going to make it

I think it made them on fire angry for no reason

I also think you're right about crying over WVU because we were so woefully unprepared for what was happening. Longest drive back to Orlando EVER

BUT HE WASNT RUNNING UP THE SCORE!!

Oct 7, 2013, 10:17 AM [ in reply to you people astound me ]

yes shoulda kicked the FG, but it wasn't to run the score up...............and even if it was WHO CARES they are the ones who were "unnecessarily arrogant" last week and deserved to have their faced rubbed in it.

4th &1 or 2 go for the TD, but not 4th and 5..........either way he wasn't running it up.

and as i recall nobody was crying that the score was being ran up by WVU........everybody was ticked b/c after the fumble and TD return the team quit.

Running up the score or not

Oct 7, 2013, 10:19 AM

Still the wrong choice

the whole point of the argument/post........

Oct 7, 2013, 10:31 AM

was regarding people who were upset b/c dabo was "trying to run up the score"

if you're upset for not kicking the FG........fine i agree

if you're upset b/c in was an "arrogant move to run up the score".......you're insane

When the game is out of control, you don't kick it

Oct 7, 2013, 10:22 AM [ in reply to you people astound me ]

Thats just to put points on the board. Rarely will you see a coach send his FG kicker out there up 28 like that. You give the other team a chance to stop it. A FG is automatic points.

Now, you could make the case that at the end of the half is not the time to be thinking that way.

That is my take.

Oct 7, 2013, 10:33 AM

You often hear kicking a FG called running up the score if done late in the game. However, I think in the frist half you take the friggin points.

It was the first half! The game wasn't over!

Oct 7, 2013, 10:39 AM [ in reply to you people astound me ]

And had we kicked it, it would have been an even bigger blowout. Dabo was more worried about field position than points in that scenario.

And I wasn't mad at WVU at all during that game. I was mad

Oct 7, 2013, 10:41 AM

at Clemson for giving up so many points. Any Clemson Tiger who complained about WVU running up the score embarrassed themselves.

To be fair the field position point could have been moot

Oct 7, 2013, 10:47 AM [ in reply to It was the first half! The game wasn't over! ]

If he hadn't called a TO with 14 seconds left.

I agree. I still thought it was bad coaching, but it had...

Oct 7, 2013, 10:48 AM

absolutely zero to do with running up the score.

I would have kicked the field goal too after running the clock down to 1.

Of course

Oct 7, 2013, 10:52 AM

I laugh at anyone who'd be mad at a team in your conference trying to score points against you in the first half.

We weren't playing Easter Idaho School of Gardening. Syracuse (and their coach) should have enough pride not to feel slighted by a team trying to get all the points they can against them in the first half.

And strangely I'd bet thats exactly what they did. The halftime speech probably morphed into "See boys, they tried to score and we stopped them. Go out there and do it again!"

And thats why you take your points.

I don't see it as running up the score

Oct 7, 2013, 10:09 AM

so much as getting more breathing room in order to put Stoudt/Kelly in the game sooner in the second half to get them more playing time against a better quality opponent.

Also the Cuse coach should have been happy cause statistically he had a better chance at stoping us on 4th down then Cat-man actually missing a field goal lol

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

I see our coaches tending to coach for the long haul.

Oct 7, 2013, 10:18 AM

When up by 28 at the half, facing fourth and goal from the 5(?), why not put your offense in a pressure situation to try to make it?

Or, why not run play X, just to get it on film. Then, when it's 4th and goal against FSU or USC, we can run play X-variant (a play which appears similar, but has a wrinkle the other team hasn't seen).

There are a few valid reasons to go for it in that situation, none of which involve running up the score.

I dont agree with going for it

Oct 7, 2013, 10:22 AM

I think we should have kicked the fg. I dont think dabo was trying to run up the score I just think he should of taken the points and went to half. 52-14 sounds better than 49-14. Besides, our offense didnt play well at all in beginning of the third. If syracuse had a better offens, they could of made a comeback or at least got the game within 7-10 points. Going for it made the players for cuse upset and came out in the second half playing like they were pissed. I dont think dabo would do that if we were playing fsu or sc so why do it against cuse? I think dabo just has a lot of confidence in this team and thats why he made that decision

Re: I dont agree with going for it

Oct 7, 2013, 10:29 AM

I expect, without knowing, that the Tigers work on a fourth down play at the goal line every week in practice. What better time to see if it works than in a game such as this.

How can people even think about Dabo running up the score...

Oct 7, 2013, 10:34 AM

...when you see what little Jimbo did to Maryland? Up 42 to nothing, and he keeps his starters in. If you say that is anything other than stat padding, I'd call you a liar.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would have been auto 3 pts..maybe 6/7 but got 0..So what

Oct 7, 2013, 10:37 AM

the heck for all the fuss?!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

doesn't matter anyway

Oct 7, 2013, 10:47 AM

the 4th down was a fair play, and gave them a chance to stay in the game by stopping us. That had equal opp to stop us as we did to convert. We came away with no points, so they won the battle on that play and it let them stay in the game better than if we took the automiatic three points.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic