Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Analysis of Coach Morris move! Pros and Cons
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Analysis of Coach Morris move! Pros and Cons

Dec 1, 2014, 1:35 AM

Pros:

1. Increase in salary.
2. Moving up the chains becoming a HC.
3. SMU is 0-something so only way for them is up, also expectations are very low
4. Returning to Texas where Morris is from and has plenty of ties

Cons:

1. Very difficult challenge, SMU is just absolutely dumpster fire. Morris have to work ridiculously hard to build that program. He has to generate a buzz, work his tail off in recruiting against likes of UT, ATM, TCU, TT and other programs who recruit heavily in that state.

2. He has to work with what they have for 2015 which means things won't improve anytime soon and he won't get his own recruits in the system and go for atleast 2 years when they will be ready to contribute.

3. Even if Morris passes all these tough challenges and puts SMU on the map again, he would have to let it go again and start new at some other bigtime school which is not going to be easy on his family.

4. There is a descent chance he will fail to turn SMU around considering the mountain of a challenge that is ahead of him. If that happens he would basically be taking a demotion somewhere back to being an OC or he would only get HC job at another small school which means SMU process all over again.

Conclusion:

I love Coach Morris and what he did for Clemson program, you can easily make a case for him as the finest of all OC we ever had at Clemson simply based on the number of wins and the offensive records he has broken.

However, this move is not the best and logical move for him. Odds are stacked against him but if he does succeed he'll get a big reward by getting attention of bigtime programs in Texas which I think he is after. However, by staying put at Clemson for 2-3 years with all the massive talent coming in he could have taken a easier HC job with more upside and talent at a major school with alot more pay.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Analysis of Coach Morris move! Pros and Cons

Dec 1, 2014, 2:39 AM

He's already making more $$$ than LOTS of head coaches around the country. I don't think it's a money thing although most certainly SMU will be taking good care of him.

Just the drive to be "The Man". I hate to see it...it's always possible to be promoted to your final level of incompetence. Chad is a hands-on guy. Can he handle the massive load of BS that the HC has to handle?.. is the real question.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2014, 2:48 AM

"Promoted to your final level of incompetence". That is rich and I may steal it when the time is right.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2014, 5:55 AM

it's called the Peter Principle

Dec 1, 2014, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Analysis of Coach Morris move! Pros and Cons ]

Starman57, just check out his high school career as a HC. Incredibly successful. Does that translate to college, I don't think so, but could happen. He is a very high energy man and a very dedicated coach. His recruitment of Deshaun Watson was fantastic, going to a lot of his high school basketball games, etc. But going to 0-12 SMU for your first shot at a HC job really concerns me for Chad, but then one could say that he can only go up from what they have had this year. We will see!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thats the biggest thing..

Dec 1, 2014, 2:48 AM

considering its smu all he has to do is make them respectable..if he can do that he will get a big time offer before two long

Re: It will

Dec 1, 2014, 3:12 AM

give him more experience and a possible stepping stone to aTm.

Dec 1, 2014, 3:43 AM

Conclusion:
"However this move is not the best and logical move for him"
Who are you to say that this is not the best and logical move for him?
And how do you know this is not the best and most logical move for him?
Just because you throw out some pros and cons?
Did you have a face to face chat with Chad?His family?Dabo?
No ,you don't know know what is best,or logical for him.
But thanks for throwing in your two cents.I got a good laugh out of it.

Dec 1, 2014, 3:53 AM

Did you goto shamecock school for rejects in Columbia? because your logic is very similar to theirs.

My analysis was unbiased and of course he knows more about his family than any person, however, its never easy for Coaches family to move around, I am sure that stands for any human being with family because moving is headache.

My reason for saying it wasn't the best move based on arguments I listed above including the Pros for such a move. Instead of answering my points by giving sound rebuttals you choose stupid way of just dismissing everything like a complete moron and a tool. Good job.

Dec 1, 2014, 4:47 AM

To answer your first question;NO
However it takes a tool to know a tool!
So whose the moron?

Dec 1, 2014, 8:23 AM

It's a good move for Coach Morris. Look at what his buddy Gus Malzahn did when he took the head coach position at Arkansas state University. He lead them to a 9-3 record & that parlayed into the Auburn job. I'll miss Mr. Red Bull but I wish him the best.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 more years of Chuck going 6-6 and UT job is his...

Dec 1, 2014, 2:36 PM

Has to have some head coach experience to get interview so why not SMU.. win 3 games 1st year, 6 games next year and he is on his way.

I wish him the best. He will do well at Texas.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He'll build them up. SMU will be in the BIG 12 soon***

Dec 1, 2014, 2:47 PM

Re: He'll build them up. SMU will be in the BIG 12 soon***

Dec 1, 2014, 3:18 PM

I disagree about SMU being an insurmountable challenge. June Jones succeeded @ SMU and I think Morris can do the same. It's a no lose situation for him : 2 mil per/taking over an 0-12 team/SMU does have a history(quite a history lol) Texas is more than full of hs talent/his offense does work...

So what did he have to lose? Could he have held out for a better job? Of course, but expectations and competition would've been higher...I think he mad a good mo e for himself and his family...

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: He'll build them up. SMU will be in the BIG 12 soon***

Dec 1, 2014, 3:19 PM

Choice not mo e

Lol

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

He will be the next version of..............

Dec 1, 2014, 3:31 PM

Will Muschamp. He's done a great job for the Tigers, but don't think this is the right move for him.

He was just asked in his presser who he was bring with him

Dec 1, 2014, 4:34 PM

from Clemson. He avoided a direct response, but said he had one coach in the air and was going to tap texas high schools for some other coaches. Expects to have staff in place by Christmas. He did not mention if any Clemson recruits are considering following him. He talked about recruiting locally.

Main thing, it was time and happy he left on high note as

Dec 1, 2014, 6:27 PM

lots of low notes especially the repeated failures in red zone - about time he put qb under center. If he had done the same with Stoudt, there would have been much more success, as Stoudt's qb sneaks were always successful, but he was never given that chance in red zone!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic