Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
An outsider perspective:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

An outsider perspective:

Nov 17, 2014, 11:20 AM

As I frequent this board at least a few times each year, I'm not a total outsider. And I am married to a Clemson graduate. I know more about Clemson than the typical fan from outside. I do think we are the best ACC team you have played all year outside of FSU. We're not as athletic as you guys, except that our QB is very good in running the offense, and he can throw, too. Our defense is not great, but they are opportunistic. And our offense is hard to defend.

Having said the above, here's my take on Clemson:

1) If Watson doesn't get injured, Saturday's game plays out very different than 28-6 (duh!). Everyone knows that.

2) I watched Cole Stoudt against Georgia earlier this year. He was a better quarterback then than he became later in the season. I'm not sure why, but he's lost all confidence.

3) That first pick six was not Cole's fault. It was a smart play by our DB, who wasn't fooled by the movement to the right. The call was meant to draw everyone to the right via the flow of the OL and the QB, and then throw left. Our guy stayed home, and made the play.

4) The other intercepted passes were Cole's fault.

5) You guys need a running back or two. Without a butt-kicking RB, you're too one-dimensional and rely on the QB to do everything. Chad Morris' offense is modeled somewhat about Gus Malzahn's scheme. Gus runs a running-based offense, with a power component. I think Chad needs to move more to that model, and not so much passing-based. He needs to do something to take pressure off the QB. And if nothing else, it helps to be two-dimensional.

6) Your defense is very strong. We were held way below our usual output in yards and points. I think that with Venables, you guys are in good hands on that side of the ball.

7) I'm glad Watson's injury is not a tear. Hope he comes back again this year, and please beat SC.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good post, preciate it and hope y'all finish out the year

Nov 17, 2014, 11:25 AM

skrong.

All of that was what I've been saying as well, plus our having some severe O-line issues.

In regards to number 2, he got injured in the Louisville game and that's affected a lot of his playing time since then imo as well as losing some confidence, coupled with having no run game the defense knows we're passing it and can come after him on blitz's

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

I think Chad has tweaked his system to get away from what

Nov 17, 2014, 11:27 AM

he originally learned from Gus, and I think it's costing him. Our passing game is different that AU's, and we can't seem to get an elite back to come play for us.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Well, at the time Bellamy was considered elite

Nov 17, 2014, 1:11 PM

(#5 rated RB by Rivals), but that didn't work out. Since then Adam Choice is the highest rated RB we've snagged at #10. Dye was rated #16 by Rivals. But we have spent a lot of time and effort on some truly elite RBs like Marshall and Gurley and others that it looked like we had a shot with but could not close, and that has indeed hurt us.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

UofL was better than you guys, in my opinion. But...

Nov 17, 2014, 11:28 AM

you guys are obviously pretty good when your defense plays like they did Saturday. Your offense did not win that game for you, as most teams are going to be able to score at least 14 points. Heck, Clemson would've had 14 if it could've scored TDs instead of FGs/TOs on the two drives that got into the red zone. So without the two defensive scores, it's a tie game. But those defensive scores count too, of course.

What I think is hard to take as a Clemson fan is that GT had one of the worst defenses we've played so far this year, and yet our offense also had its worst performance against you. Here's what Clemson did against a similarly ranked NC State defense: 41 points and 493 yards. Against GT, somehow Clemson ends up with only 190 yards. Clemson's offense did a lot better against a UofL team with a top ranked defense and a BC team (also on the road) with a top 10 defense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I haven't been a huge fan of our defense....

Nov 17, 2014, 12:49 PM

But I think we're better than you give us credit. We've been big into forcing turnovers all year. We beat VT because of turnovers. Same with NC State and Pitt. That's been a big part of what our defense does. We also played well against Miami & UVA.

The only team that really opened a can on our defense was UNC. We just couldn't stop them, or even slow them down (GSU in the 2nd half, too, but that was a loss of focus more than anything, thinking we had the game won). Other than that, our defense has been reasonable.

Great points besides #3

Nov 17, 2014, 11:30 AM

That was all on Cole.

Blind -

- roll out to right
- stutter step for a bit
- twist body to left and throw it up (for grabs)

Even the screen deserves a look before you throw the d8mn ball...not just blindly throw it.

You guys had three defenders over there. Horrible.

Game changer - period. Took the wind out of our offensive sails. Done. Fork-in-it.

I won't defend Cole at all. Body of work, yes, maybe. He took plenty of mop-up snaps and plenty of squeak-it-out snaps over the last few games. Starter - he is NOT.

Should see the field first series against Ga ST. Past that - done. Bye. Thanks.

The game certainly wasn't over after that

Nov 17, 2014, 11:35 AM

Obviously that's a pretty big point swing, though, as you're expecting to be up 10-0 but instead are down 6-3 after that. But that was in the first half, wasn't it?

Message was edited by: camcgee®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

disagree wholeheartedly....

Nov 17, 2014, 11:38 AM

Play before that:

- DW goes down...gets led into locker room

Whole team does the '###' in their mind in the mean time.

Two plays later:

- Cole throws the worst pass I've ever seen on a screen...for a pick-6 no less

Tell me...in your experience in any team sport...where that wouldn't lay heavy on the boys.

Agree to disagree at this point Cam - sorry. This is the way I feel, and voicing it, no disrespect.

Obviously it sucked, but you're talking ab 6-3 in the 1st***

Nov 17, 2014, 11:44 AM

Thumbs up...but disagree

Nov 17, 2014, 11:44 AM

Reply back if you want. I won't again ;).

Same thing happened in 2011 WVU game...

Nov 17, 2014, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Obviously it sucked, but you're talking ab 6-3 in the 1st*** ]

A momentum swing that big kills Clemson completely. If we didn't have a strong defense, GT would've beaten us 50+ to 6.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

and yes...was 1st quarter***

Nov 17, 2014, 11:39 AM [ in reply to The game certainly wasn't over after that ]

I think it was the pick 6 combined with the fact that DW was

Nov 17, 2014, 12:04 PM [ in reply to The game certainly wasn't over after that ]

gone that took the sails out of the Offense...D stayed strong and only gave up 14. Had DW given up that same pick 6 (i don't think he would have) it would have been a different story. We regroup and keep pushing down the field with DW.

In Cole's defense, up until Saturday his mistakes hadn't cost us a game and he was able to manage the previous games. Fact is that he pretty much cost us the game Saturday by giving Tech 13 points. Hindsight is that you put in Shussler (sp?) after the 1st pick six.

All that being said, CS is still a Clemson Tiger and he put forth his best effort, he deserves our respect and gratitude. I don't think he was dialing it in as some have suggested.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: An outsider perspective:

Nov 17, 2014, 11:31 AM

pretty much our typical atlanta visit where we go brainless and forget how to play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2014, 11:37 AM

Agree with all points but #3. Not knocking the D back, but the pass should have never been thrown. I also don't like the call so close to the goal line . Too bunched up. Cole should have seen that prior to release.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree the defender stayed home....

Nov 17, 2014, 11:38 AM

But he wasn't invisible nor the only defensive player there.

Besides that, Stoudt missed his first read on that play to a wide open WR on a fade route....although judging by the rest of his throws that day, he probably would have missed him.

Ball should have never thrown.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole never looked. He just turned to his left and threw it...

Nov 17, 2014, 11:43 AM

I am not discounting the defenders play. It was a good play but the ball should have never been thrown.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

This ^^^^^

Nov 17, 2014, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Agree the defender stayed home.... ]

Stoudt doesn't like to throw it past the LOS

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Nov 17, 2014, 11:39 AM

Good post. Appreciate your thoughts and time put in to post.

I think the first interception was a credit to your coaching and the player recognizing the formation. But, I think the play was covered even before that recognition and the throw was terrrible (should have been thrown away - not sure our player could have caught the ball even without your DB being there).

with your permission, we'd like to trade you for any number

Nov 17, 2014, 11:42 AM

of ######### on this Board who THINK that they are Clemson fans.

Re: we'd like to trade you for any number- I'll second that!

Nov 18, 2014, 11:28 PM

I'll second that motion.
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We lost our two starting RB's to injury....

Nov 17, 2014, 11:42 AM

earlier in the season and we are now forced to use players who would otherwise be further down the depth chart. That coupled with an offensive line that has also been impacted by its share of injuries has made things much more challenging for Coach Morris.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Nov 17, 2014, 11:51 AM

I think Chad wants to be more of a running team but the OL limits him. Heck we cant run it up the middle for any significant gain unless its a zone read where Watson keeps it and picks up 8 yards. I also think the OL is why Cole Stoudt has played so bad. I mean I still think Stoudt stares down his receivers too long but he still doesn't have much time back there. At least when Boyd was QB he could make plays with his feet either rolling out and throwing deep or just running in general. Watson the same way when he is QB he moves around to avoid the rush.

Bottom line if our OL was even just 25-30% better then we would be a lot better than we are. I know we can talk about injuries and they have been bad on the OL, the fact of the matter is we haven't recruited enough OL. we should be 2 deep with 2 or 3 RS on the OL and we haven't been at all.

Good points, I agree on the first pick but the play was bad

Nov 17, 2014, 11:52 AM

call. GT goes for picks, throwbacks and screens are opportunities for db's to be sneaky which they do more than try to play solid.
Should have thrown a high pass to a tall WR in the middle.
I don't think Cole would have seen it if he had looked, the db was sneaking up behind two OL's.

To me, the real point in the game that killed us was the opening drive of the 2nd half. Get a stop there and we have to shot to take a lead. That TD really put us behind the 8ball.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic