Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
maybe I need to change my choice to Mike Huckabee
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 480

maybe I need to change my choice to Mike Huckabee

Jun 19, 2015, 7:36 AM

instead of Rubio. He is the only guy pushing the Fair Tax:

Huckabee touts fair tax during Iowa stops

06.17.2015 Des Moines Register by: Kathy Bolten

- See more at: https://fairtax.org/articles/huckabee-touts-fair-tax-during-iowa-stops#sthash.211tqbOx.dpuf

Mike Huckabee was unapologetic Wednesday about the thousands of jobs that would be lost if the Internal Revenue Service was abolished and a so-called fair tax adopted in place of the current federal tax system.

Huckabee, who is vying for the Republican nomination for president, said there tends to be more concern about an estimated 82,000 IRS workers becoming unemployed than with the 5 million manufacturing jobs lost over the past several years.

The fair tax would be a catalyst to help restore those lost manufacturing jobs, he said.

Unemployed IRS workers "will be able to go to work in the private sector" if the fair tax is adopted, Huckabee said during a swing through southwest Iowa that included stops in Clarinda, Red Oak and Creston. "There will be lots of jobs popping up in the private sector that didn't exist before (if the Fair Tax becomes law). The good news is they'll be paying taxes on those wages."

Huckabee said he learned about the fair tax when he was in Iowa during his first campaign for president. During a visit to the state in 2007, someone gave him material about the fair tax, which he read on his trip home to Arkansas, he said. He liked the idea so much, he contacted economists and others to learn more about the idea, said Huckabee, who won the 2008 Iowa caucuses.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

So where are the tax details... Seems very superficial.***

Jun 19, 2015, 8:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you mean the fair tax idea seems superficial?***

Jun 19, 2015, 8:20 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how it works

Jun 19, 2015, 8:24 AM [ in reply to So where are the tax details... Seems very superficial.*** ]

https://fairtax.org/about/how-fairtax-works

How FAIRtax Works
Your Money, Your Decision

The current federal income tax system is clearly broken — unfair, overly complex, and almost impossible for most Americans to understand. But there is a reasonable, nonpartisan alternative before Congress that is both fair and easy to understand. A system that allows you to keep your whole paycheck and only pay taxes on what you spend.

The FairTax is a national sales tax that treats every person equally and allows American businesses to thrive, while generating the same tax revenue as the current four-million-word-plus tax code. Under the FairTax, every person living in the United States pays a sales tax on purchases of new goods and services, excluding necessities due to the prebate. The FairTax rate after necessities is 23% compared to combining the 15% income tax bracket with the 7.65% of employee payroll taxes under the current system -- both of which will be eliminated!

Important to note: the FairTax is the only tax plan currently being proposed that includes the removal of the payroll tax.

Keep Your Paycheck

For the first time in recent history, American workers will get to keep every dime they earn; including what would have been paid in federal income taxes and payroll taxes. You will get an instant raise in your pay!

Social Security & Medicare Funding

Benefits will not change. The FairTax actually puts these programs on a more solid funding foundation. Instead of being funded by taxes on workers’ wages, which is a small pool, they’ll be funded by taxes on overall consumption by all residents. Learn More.

Get a Tax Refund in Advance on Purchases of Basic Necessities

The FairTax provides a progressive program called a prebate. This gives every legal resident household an “advance refund” at the beginning of each month so that purchases made up to the poverty level are tax-free. The prebate prevents an unfair burden on low-income families. Learn more.

Pay Tax on Only What You Spend

Be in control of your financial destiny. You alone can control your tax burden. If you’re thrifty, you’ll pay lower taxes than somebody who is not. Most importantly, you’ll be taxed fairly. Learn more about what is taxed.

Everyone Pays Their Fair Share

Tax evasion and the underground economy cost each taxpayer an additional $2,500 every year! But by taxing new products and services consumed, the FairTax puts everyone in the country at the same level at the cash register. Further, only legal residents are eligible for the prebate. Learn more.

The IRS is No Longer Needed

No more complicated tax forms, individual audits, or intrusive federal bureaucracy. Retailers will collect the FairTax just as they do now with state sales taxes. All money will be collected and remitted to the U.S. Treasury, and both the retailers and states will be paid a fee for their collection service.
- See more at: https://fairtax.org/about/how-fairtax-works#sthash.6jsiLKUw.dpuf

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

It's a national sales tax.

Jun 19, 2015, 8:26 AM [ in reply to So where are the tax details... Seems very superficial.*** ]

There are many problems with the idea, but we don't have to worry about them because it's never going to replace the income tax. What may actually happen is that it supplements the income tax, like the VAT in England.

And thus the dream of simplification through tax reform will be replaced with the reality of greater complexity.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Never say never....

Jun 19, 2015, 8:30 AM

I never thought the ACA would have a chance of becoming law. Sadly, I was wrong.

I like the premise of the faritax.

Never.

Jun 19, 2015, 8:48 AM

Or, more accurately, never unless it's just one more level of complexity.

Unless you repeal the 16th amendment (which permits the federal income tax), the FairTax is doomed. Even if a national sales tax replaced the income tax, any Congress would be able to add back the income tax. And then you'd have both. Greater complexity would result. Tax lawyers would be the primary beneficiaries, along with our government which will have more ways to sneak in tax increases.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Repealing the 16th is the first step in the plan....

Jun 19, 2015, 9:13 AM

it is acknowledged that the fair tax cannot/should not exist as long as the 16th is in play.

I'm happy to take bets on that happening in the next 10 yrs.

Jun 19, 2015, 10:45 AM

I'll give 10-1 odds.

- Jonathan Swift

Hasn't happened in the past 20. If you want to lay off any

Jun 19, 2015, 10:53 AM

of the action you get on this bet, I'll happily take it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

No thanks...not in the current climate....

Jun 19, 2015, 11:37 AM [ in reply to I'm happy to take bets on that happening in the next 10 yrs. ]

but are we to only support ideas that have a chance of becoming laws in the current political climate. I don't think that's healthy for our democracy.

I think an honest discussion of the fair tax would be good for the country. Maybe it would lead to a more robust overhaul of the income tax system, etc...

Bottom line is I think it's a good idea and worthy of discussion.

An extra tax would suck to the extreme, but what a

Jun 19, 2015, 10:51 AM [ in reply to It's a national sales tax. ]

delicious irony.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-snuffys.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.

'We have to pass it to know what it is.'***

Jun 19, 2015, 1:40 PM [ in reply to So where are the tax details... Seems very superficial.*** ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No tax on used... That would just about destroy certain

Jun 19, 2015, 9:02 AM

industries. Do they tax corporations for natural resources or just their customers?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

perhaps you should read more on the subject...

Jun 19, 2015, 9:14 AM

there is a book

I read the link in the article he provided...***

Jun 19, 2015, 9:33 AM

umm ok...that's why I said you need to read the book....

Jun 19, 2015, 9:36 AM

if you want a complete explanation.

What I stated came from their website... Don't want the book***

Jun 19, 2015, 11:19 AM

If you aren't interested in researching something for....

Jun 19, 2015, 11:37 AM

yourself, then....

sounds complicated, we don't need more complicated. :-)***

Jun 19, 2015, 9:24 AM [ in reply to No tax on used... That would just about destroy certain ]

Re: maybe I need to change my choice to Mike Huckabee

Jun 19, 2015, 11:30 AM

> "The fair tax would be a catalyst to help restore those lost manufacturing jobs, he said"

Those manufacturing jobs aren't coming back, in fact they will be reduced more and more as automation picks ups. We certainly need a policy change to help the now unemployed but I don't see how the fair tax law would help this?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

automation is hardly the reason for...

Jun 19, 2015, 11:39 AM

the main loss of manufacturing jobs in this country.

They aren't being lost to automation, in general, they're being lost to countries that are cheaper to operate in...based on labor rates, building costs, energy costs, tax structures, etc...

Mike and I know a flat tax will never happen.

Jun 19, 2015, 1:42 PM

I'd throw his ### right in there with all the others who run on rubber platforms, that's all politicians.

If it can't be done it's a lie to even suggest otherwise because the average voter has no clue what can and can't be passed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: maybe I need to change my choice to Mike Huckabee

Jun 19, 2015, 3:10 PM

It sounds cool and all but I can't support a system where someone who is 'thrifty' pays less tax than me. Their kids go to public school, they depend on the same roads and infrastructure, etc. If a 'fair tax' were implemented, half the people on Tigernet would live off the grid, home school their kids, grow their own food, and generate their own power for their bunkers/compounds...in essence, they would all go back to living in 1804...which I guess is what most of those folks considered the 'golden age' of the US.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 480
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic