Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
An eight team play-off seems reasonable. It adds one more
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

An eight team play-off seems reasonable. It adds one more

Nov 16, 2017, 9:36 AM

game and settles most of the issues. Smaller schools do it without too many problems. It does certainly play into the hands of schools who recruit well and able to build depth. Of course the ninth on list will argue, but that is to be expected. I'm fur it!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Nope...the Conf Champ games

Nov 16, 2017, 9:38 AM

are the quarterfinals; no need for 8 team playoff
IMHO

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need at least 5.

Nov 16, 2017, 9:51 AM

Every1 has a confer champ game
Conference champ goes to playoff

Fork ND.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Nope...the Conf Champ games

Nov 16, 2017, 11:14 AM [ in reply to Nope...the Conf Champ games ]

That's good in theory, until you win your conference championship and get left out in favor of a team you beat head to head... I don't think Penn State likes the conference championships are the quarterfinals argument

Edit for Disclaimer:
I'm just playing devil's advocate. I like it the way it is. Lose more than 1 game and/or don't win your conference, consider your team out (unless you get lucky). Makes the regular season so much more meaningful, which is one of the main reasons I like college football over most other sports. Every game matters

Message was edited by: CU13®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YOU WOULD NOT GET LEFT OUT

Nov 16, 2017, 11:41 AM

No polls. ..no rankings, no committee.

You win your conference champ game you are in. If a 5-6 GT team beats a 12-0 clemson team, they go to the playoffs.
No questions, no arguments.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

No incentive for big non conference games***

Nov 16, 2017, 11:43 AM

2 loss conference champions are a lock for playoffs?***

Nov 16, 2017, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Nope...the Conf Champ games ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2 loss conference champions are a lock for playoffs?***

Nov 16, 2017, 11:35 AM

Unless those two losses are really bad, i.e. Penn State.

So, Ohio State and Auburn, along with 3 loss Stanford

Nov 16, 2017, 11:39 AM

or 2 loss Washington State or 2 loss Southern Cal would be locks for the playoff?

Is that how an automatic conference champion bid would work?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, Ohio State and Auburn, along with 3 loss Stanford

Nov 16, 2017, 11:45 AM

I'm not in favor of conference champs being automatic locks, I was just using last year as an example.

Penn State lost to Pitt (42-39) and was stomped by Michigan (49-10), their only marquee wins were Ohio State by 3, and Wisconsin by a TD. However, Ohio State beat Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan, and only had the one loss on the road.

In that case (last year) Ohio State should have gotten in over conference champ Penn State.

This year however, if Auburn wins out they should absolutely be a lock as a 2 loss conference champ by virtue of beating UGA, Bama, and UGA again. That's a solid resume having lost to us on the road and to LSU on the road.

A 2 loss Wash State shouldn't (destroyed in their losses), USC shouldn't (destroyed in their loss to ND), 3 loss Stanford would be out due to 3 losses alone, etc.

It would work itself out, but I think the main point is conference champs should be weighted due to winning an extra game, but of course you have to take care of business throughout the year as well.

For a Clemson related example, in 2011 we would not have been an automatic lock for the playoff by virtue of winning the ACC.

Just pointing out that conference champs shouldn't have

Nov 16, 2017, 11:49 AM

an automatic playoff berth.

It doesn't settle issues, it just shifts the argument

Nov 16, 2017, 9:38 AM

from one of the teams ranked 5 or 6 is getting hosed to one of the teams at 9 or 10 is getting hosed.

They should leave it at 4 because the college football product has never been better IMO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

exactly just like hoops

Nov 16, 2017, 9:46 AM

they finally got 64 and then made it 66. still have whining. lets reward excellence not everybody gets a trophy

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah but the argument between 8 and 9

Nov 16, 2017, 9:50 AM [ in reply to It doesn't settle issues, it just shifts the argument ]

Isn't near as important as the argument between 4 and 5. The more teams you add, the less that last team to make it in matters.

The only team complaining is the last one out...

Nov 16, 2017, 9:52 AM

whether they are number 5, 9, 11, etc... Doesn't matter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

4 Conferences, four pods each and four conference champs.***

Nov 16, 2017, 10:16 AM [ in reply to It doesn't settle issues, it just shifts the argument ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: An eight team play-off seems reasonable. It adds one more

Nov 16, 2017, 9:40 AM

I like the idea of all Power 5 Conference champs, 2 highest ranked Group of 5 teams, and a by in.

But I also think it would be a cool idea for the bracket to be different
Quarter Finals
1 v 5
2 v 6
3 v 7
4 v 8
Semi Finals
1/5 v 3/7
2/6 v 4/8
Championship
1/5/3/7 v 2/6/4/8

Highest Playoff Ranking is Home team

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sig-1

Why in the world would you have 1 vs 5, etc? Instead of 1vs8

Nov 16, 2017, 10:05 AM

What would be the incentive of being ranked 1st instead of 4th?

Re: Why in the world would you have 1 vs 5, etc? Instead of 1vs8

Nov 16, 2017, 10:30 AM

Just a different way to look at it. Less Cinderella, more hard games.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sig-1

But you'd be punishing the #1 team for being #1

Nov 16, 2017, 11:00 AM

And rewarding the #4 team for being ranked 3 spots lower with a (presumably) weaker opponent. That doesn't jive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Each Power 5 conference champion gets an berth

Nov 16, 2017, 9:42 AM

Have a drawing for 1st round bye ... Don't use rankings ... AP would give the bye every year to the SEC.

Actually draw for 1st round matchup ... math works better :)***

Nov 16, 2017, 9:43 AM

siiigh***

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Sleepy?***

Nov 16, 2017, 9:44 AM

Tiger/Terrier

Re: Sleepy?******

Nov 16, 2017, 9:45 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

If the issue is out there, the horse is never dead. And, it

Nov 16, 2017, 9:47 AM

is out there--among sports writers, coaches, and fan bases.

Tiger/Terrier

It would just mean Ohio St and N. Dame get in every year, regardless.

Nov 16, 2017, 9:45 AM

How about we actually have competive semifinals before going to an 8 team playoff. Also what's the end game we would be having the same discussion that we've had about 4-6 with 7-10.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

The only real problem with 6 is it produces a bi team after

Nov 16, 2017, 9:49 AM

the first game.

Tiger/Terrier

Re: The only real problem with 6 is it produces a bi team after

Nov 16, 2017, 9:52 AM

It would be two bye teams. That leaves 4 teams playing first round, 2 winners face the two byes.

Re: The only real problem with 6 is it produces a bi team after

Nov 16, 2017, 10:13 AM [ in reply to The only real problem with 6 is it produces a bi team after ]

You're clearly missing the point.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Nov 16, 2017, 9:48 AM

I disagree. It waters it down. If you don't earn it during game the season and in the conference champion ship you should not be in.

As it stands with 4, you are elite if you make it in. CFP should mean something.

it does kinda seem like the conference championship games

Nov 16, 2017, 9:50 AM

are quarterfinals this year

Bama/Auburn vs UGA
Miami vs Clemson
OSU vs Wisc

and OK

What about fan fatigue? Would can afford to go to

Nov 16, 2017, 9:51 AM

two playoff games (as it is), much less three?

Unless some of these games were played at the upper seed's home stadiums.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: What about fan fatigue? Would can afford to go to

Nov 16, 2017, 9:53 AM

TV and NCAA won't allow it to be home games, they want the $. 8 game playoff would kill attendance of conference championship games.

just talking about that this morning in the office

Nov 16, 2017, 10:21 AM [ in reply to What about fan fatigue? Would can afford to go to ]

looking at another $125 ticket to Charlotte, $250 ticket in NO/Pasadena, and $600 Atlanta, if all goes well. And that's x2, x4, x6, according to the size of your family.

So $1000 per person FACE VALUE for tickets alone.
THEN, add the transportation and lodging.
THEN, add the meals and souvenirs.

This'll be $5K-10K for the 3rd season in a row.
Good times, but severe wallet pain.

Current Setup is Exciting but a Racket

Nov 16, 2017, 9:59 AM

The league is really a racket because half its members have no legitimate shot at winning a national championship. When I explain how things work to an NFL lifer, they just cannot understand that there is not a completely mathematical explanation for how the champion is arrived at.

So the only real solution is something along the lines of

1) Throw our hands up and go back to the old AP voting routine. This will keep College Football exciting and please the traditionalists. This keeps the need to win all yer games intact.

2) Kick all teams from the Group of 5 leagues and independents with no real shot at the championship out of the league. Restructure the conferences/playoffs such that all conferences send their champ as a contender and perhaps some wildcards for teams while keeping the need to win all yer games intact.

Nov 16, 2017, 10:02 AM

Season is already long enough and the best team will end up in the top 4. Don't care if a team or two feel hosed (even if it is us).

Nov 16, 2017, 10:03 AM

Exactly what issues are you trying to solve?

Conference Expansion to four Super Conferences

Nov 16, 2017, 10:08 AM

with the conference Champion in the final four makes better sense.

Do away with out of conference games keeping total of games played same as is. Conference Champs go to playoff.

End of discussion.

Or, for the fun of it, have one out of conference game for every team against one of the other 3 super conference teams. Every conference plays every conference with this rotation of teams every year.

Message was edited by: HuntClub®

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

6 teams, top 2 get byes.

Nov 16, 2017, 10:09 AM

5&6 whiners then have a chance to put up or shut up vs. 3&4 @ 3&4's home field. If they win, then they deserved to be there all along. Win-win-win.

Mere flim-flam stories and nothing but shams and lies

These guys are student-athletes.

Nov 16, 2017, 10:14 AM

School can not be interrupted and 15 games is too many already.

4 conferences consisting of quads instead of halves with four teams each. Qual winners play the first round then true conference champs are determined. Champs play a four team playoff.

We can't ask or require a pair of teams to play 16 games each year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We already have the equivalent

Nov 16, 2017, 10:20 AM

What teams are in consideration?

Alabama
Clemson
Oklahoma
Miami
Auburn
Wisconsin
Ohio St
UGA

ACC champ, B1G champ possibly, SEC Champ, B12 champ

all the teams in consideration for an 8 team playoff play each other or would see the other in the first round of the playoffs. It would be no different than what we currently have.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2013_bowl_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We already have the equivalent

Nov 16, 2017, 10:32 AM

Totally agree with this post. Open your eyes its here already. Its more exciting than any other sport. Dont fix it if it aint broke.

Only 2 teams have ~belonged in the last 2 CFPlayoffs.

Nov 16, 2017, 10:20 AM

I heart D1 college football, it's unique in its setup, steeped traditions and majesty - that's grand; I don't want it looking like the NFL, because I don't watch the NFL and don't find emulating that a worthwhile endeavor or purpose in college football's life.

There will always be people that hold fewer spots against it; I hold that on high[no tay].

Why is it that "some" have to slow down for others? It's OK that people get left behind or are left on the outside looking in, but no, let's install handicap access into the CFPlayoffs too.

I agree - 4 teams isn't enough - 8....

Nov 16, 2017, 10:36 AM

Should settle "fairness" question a lot of people have.

I agree - 4 teams isn't enough - 8....

Should settle "fairness" question a lot of people have.

Disagree

4 is perfect imo

I knew if you kept at it, you'd finally get something right.***

Nov 16, 2017, 10:47 AM

You know what they say...

Nov 16, 2017, 4:52 PM

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again..."

Or in this case, try again 8791 more times

Some do, others say, "If at first you don't succeed...

Nov 16, 2017, 5:01 PM

skydiving might not be for you."

Have a good night '13, and all.

I didn't succeed the first time I tried skydiving

Nov 17, 2017, 12:35 PM

Maybe that explains a lot...

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic