Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
An ACC with Notre Dame and Navy would look like this:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,793

An ACC with Notre Dame and Navy would look like this:

May 12, 2012, 1:20 PM

North - South (w/permanent cross-division pairing)
BC - Clemson
Miami - FSU
Notre Dame - Ga. Tech
Pitt - UNC
UMD - NC State
Syracuse - Duke
Navy - Wake
Va. Tech - UVA

The South division looks a lot like the ACC of yore, when Clemson and FSU were in charge for two decades. The north a lot like the Big East when Miami and Va. Tech were making the most noise. There were some great football games amongst the northern field in decades past when they had each other on the schedule more often. UMD would only shift from playing Clemson and FSU annually to Miami and Va. Tech., and they'd replace Wake with Navy. They'd also have ND annually - a huge draw. Va. Tech and Miami would be exchanging UNC, Duke and Ga. Tech annually for Syracuse, BC and UMD, plus of course Notre Dame and Navy.

Of all the schools most affected, Va. Tech would seem to be the hardest hit with a shift away from a few southern teams, though with the 9-game schedule they'd always have the one extra game per year.

Seven games annually within a more defined region, hence better fan travel and game atmosphere and enhanced rivalries, plus a permanent cross-division, plus a bonus game against one of the remaining seven. Continuity, identity, logistics, history. I'd find this very acceptable.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: An ACC with Notre Dame and Navy would look like this:

May 12, 2012, 1:22 PM

NAVY??????? No fing way

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Navy is a perfect fit for the Atlantic Coast Conference.

May 12, 2012, 1:31 PM

They're not a football powerhouse by any means but they are scrappy, and there's great synergy between Navy and the league's distribution of schools up and down the Atlantic seaboard (Boston, Baltimore/DC, Miami). Tying a service academy into the league sends a powerful patriotic message. Plus, with ESPN's extensive coverage of all things ACC, our exposure would grow significantly with Navy on board.

In a way it almost seems like a charity case, but they have great recognition, and it'd be far greater than a Rutgers, UConn, S. Fla or other "media market" teams being touted. Plus PSU is almost assuredly married to the B1G forever, despite their history elsewhere.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow

May 12, 2012, 2:37 PM

"Tying a service academy into the league sends a powerful patriotic message."

Was that really just given as a reason?

It was, and is, one of several. I know Navy doesn't light

May 12, 2012, 2:58 PM

the football fires for most, but as a package deal with Notre Dame it could be a home run. The ACC would be taking a service academy under its wing, geographically they're a great fit, and it's a program that would likely never embarrass its member institutions. If the league were north/south, we would likely only play them once every 7 years. The north division would add a Wake-level team to its already challenging slate, and we'd be a stronger league because of it.

Just curious > How many Navy games did you watch lat year?

May 12, 2012, 4:01 PM

Better yet, how many Navy games were even televised last year - ON ESPN or a mjor broadcast comapny?

Personally, I only watched part of the Army/Navy game, but only because I am Navy.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Navy is nationally broadcast each year at least twice

May 12, 2012, 5:11 PM

already, right? CBS's Army/Navy game and NBC's Navy / Notre Dame. I try to catch some of the Navy / Notre Dame game because it's awesome when Notre Dame loses this one.

Outside of that I don't really follow them that much as I'm not a Navy man and they're not in our league. I did catch some of last year's game against USuC (ESPN), and remember the year before the game against Maryland (ESPN).

Re: An ACC with Notre Dame and Navy would look like this:

May 12, 2012, 1:27 PM

How the heck is Miami North? Is there a school in the ACC more south than Miami?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not more south, but certainly more southern. Why is Dallas

May 12, 2012, 1:33 PM

in the NFC East? Because of natural historic rivalries with Washington, NY, and Philly. It's obviously not pure geography, but there's got to be a Florida school in each division, and Miami has a LOT more in common with the north division locations than the south.

the plan is to bankrupt miami with travel expenses***

May 12, 2012, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: An ACC with Notre Dame and Navy would look like this: ]

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Divisions only impact football. Miami's football team and

May 12, 2012, 2:35 PM

basketball team are going to fly everywhere on their schedule anyway but Tallahassee. The north schools have cheaper airfare out of Miami than do most of the southern schools. Look at a map. Miami is not close to anyone. Period. North or south.

Put UVA in North and Miami in South and you have it.***

May 12, 2012, 3:05 PM [ in reply to Re: An ACC with Notre Dame and Navy would look like this: ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YAWN***

May 12, 2012, 7:55 PM

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,793
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic