Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
has this been discussed in here?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

has this been discussed in here?

Jul 30, 2018, 2:48 PM

i'm thinking this is an inconvenient truth for many environmental Nazis, right?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4970214/95-plastic-oceans-comes-just-TEN-rivers.html

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's the inconvenient part?

Jul 30, 2018, 3:10 PM

Big waterways in industrialized mostly unregulated countries account for most of the pollution? I'm guessing since I didn't click the article, but the headline seems like common sense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

libs are spontaneously combusting over straws, bottles,

Jul 30, 2018, 3:30 PM

and pretty much anything made of plastic when it has minimal impact. On the other hand, they've always been more than willing to give the poor wretched countries a pass.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uh...what?

Jul 30, 2018, 3:38 PM

You don't think plastic pollution is an issue? Again, haven't clicked the article, but it sounds like it's focused on plastic in the ocean. There's exponentially more plastic that is sitting, undegraded, in landfills.

And how is anybody giving poor, wretched countries a pass? If the US is supposed to be a world leader in ideologies, including environmentalism, aren't we supposed to lead by example? If you treat it like a business deal as the Trump administration has, and say "well this is unfair to the US because our goals are more stringent", and we pull out, then everybody else walks away. The Paris Accord, while not perfect by any stretch, at least had some measurable goals to try and bring the Indias and Chinas along over the next generation. Now? Every single country is in "fuck it, if they're not doing it, I'm not either" mode. And the dismaying thing is that half of this country is pleased with that. Presumably, yourself included.

The environment is stupid, amirite?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thats right. I don't think "plastic pollution" is a problem

Jul 30, 2018, 3:43 PM

in the US. Yet, NBC news will show the "texas size" plastic island in a story about drinking straws in the US to guilt people into not using straws. (for the record, I don't use straws and never have)

Landfills full of plastic are not a problem?

Jul 30, 2018, 3:56 PM

"The US had the highest contamination rate, at 94%, with plastic fibres found in tap water sampled at sites including Congress buildings, the US Environmental Protection Agency’s headquarters, and Trump Tower in New York. Lebanon and India had the next highest rates."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/06/plastic-fibres-found-tap-water-around-world-study-reveals

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that article says nothing about landfills

Jul 30, 2018, 4:11 PM

nor does say anything of substance about the source of the supposed mirco plastics.

The cause du jour seems be glitter makeup and fleece clothing. I'm sure there's lots of that in Lebanon ...

Good point. Excessive plastic in tap water isn't that

Jul 30, 2018, 4:15 PM

worrisome if you can't show exactly where it comes from. I guess we should let folks hold on to their oral fixations.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how can you possibly "fix" something if you don't know

Jul 30, 2018, 4:18 PM

where it comes from?

The Amazon basin is sustained in part from dust carried by wind from Africa to South America. If the problem is in the third world, what would you do about it? But please, blame land fills and Americans

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that they would

Jul 30, 2018, 3:46 PM [ in reply to Uh...what? ]

have still been in "#### it" mode regardless of the US's actions.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's doubtful any of them would have actually made the

Jul 30, 2018, 4:01 PM

targets; the US likely wouldn't have either. But at least there's some understanding and agreement that 1) there's a problem, and 2) every nation is responsible for and owns the solution to the problem. There's dialogue around it, and people focused on a common goal.

But, like I said...if you don't believe that 8 billion people on the planet could possibly affect the climate, then it's not an issue anyway, and pollution should be viewed exclusively through the competitive-trade lens. Boiling frog and such. At some point when the US or another country wins the economic competition, will it matter when the world is smoldering?

Son,

Jul 30, 2018, 4:13 PM

the Russians don't take a shittt without a plan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If a particular country isn't going to help clean up

Jul 30, 2018, 4:25 PM [ in reply to It's doubtful any of them would have actually made the ]

their own pollution and environment just because the US backed out of the Paris deal, what makes you think they had any intentions of holding up their end of the bargain in the first place? Nobody wants more pollution, but you might want to consider the economic ramifications too....It's hard to get people to care about not using straws when they're worried about paying their $800 electric bill.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those nations being at the table would be an indication that

Jul 30, 2018, 4:30 PM

there was some sort of vested interest, no? You're viewing this through a binary pass/fail scope. India didn't meet their 2027 target, so the whole Paris Accord was a sham! Well...not really, if they hit 35% of it, or 70% of it, or whatever. As of today, there are no targets, and no conversations that even include the US that I'm aware of. And Europe isn't going to be able to accomplish nearly as much with India and China without the leadership of the US.

China is doing it on their own...........

Jul 30, 2018, 4:32 PM

simply because the place has become such an unlivable shidhole.

I imagine India will do the same.

Either example, it's a moot point until it's clearly and painfully in their own self-interest.

https://www.economist.com/the-economist-explains/2018/01/25/how-china-cut-its-air-pollution

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and apparently dumping their plastic in the rivers***

Jul 30, 2018, 4:33 PM

Maybe they should set up their own targets?

Jul 30, 2018, 4:40 PM [ in reply to Those nations being at the table would be an indication that ]

I would hope that they have a vested interest in cleaning up their own countries, but if they don't no agreement or billions of dollars from the US is going to fix that.

Re: libs are spontaneously combusting over straws, bottles,

Jul 30, 2018, 6:09 PM [ in reply to libs are spontaneously combusting over straws, bottles, ]

and pretty much anything made of plastic when it has minimal impact. On the other hand, they've always been more than willing to give the poor wretched countries a pass.

Minimal impact? Did you read your own story? :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The anti-straw movement is certainly silly feel-good

Jul 30, 2018, 10:46 PM

nonsense.

https://bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-06-07/plastic-straws-aren-t-the-problem

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Lulz.***

Jul 30, 2018, 8:06 PM [ in reply to libs are spontaneously combusting over straws, bottles, ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are 100% correct, sir.***

Jul 30, 2018, 10:41 PM [ in reply to libs are spontaneously combusting over straws, bottles, ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: The inconvenient part...

Jul 30, 2018, 5:30 PM [ in reply to What's the inconvenient part? ]

is that if we allow nothing from our country to pollute the oceans the day of the eventual destruction of the oceans won't change. Maybe by .00x percent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But, but, the Japanese Tsunami!

Jul 30, 2018, 3:12 PM

That's what caused it all!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Re: has this been discussed in here?

Jul 30, 2018, 4:00 PM

Republicanism is all about avoiding responsibility. Other countries suck, so we shouldn't bother making ourselves better. Totally makes sense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

is that why Nixon signed the Clean Water Act?***

Jul 30, 2018, 4:16 PM

Environmental NAZIS are the reason we don't have

Jul 30, 2018, 4:05 PM

one of the top ten rivers.

I will accept being harassed by environmentalists if it reduces our pollution.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would disagree with that. Americans like to keep their

Jul 30, 2018, 4:15 PM

places clean. I think government regulation has very little to do with cleanliness.

Americans do NOT like to keep their places clean.

Jul 30, 2018, 4:38 PM

I'm happy that you are blessed enough to be in places that gave you that perception.

But people are disgusting and lazy. In every country. We have rules that other countries do not have regarding the environment.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those rules came about through the democratic process.

Jul 30, 2018, 10:39 PM

Ultimately, Americans DO want those rules, to help keep the environment clean.

- H. L. Mencken

Dreher H.S. is clean. Sorry man,

Jul 30, 2018, 8:09 PM [ in reply to I would disagree with that. Americans like to keep their ]

couldn’t resist.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah... no.

Jul 30, 2018, 8:31 PM [ in reply to I would disagree with that. Americans like to keep their ]

Go look at pictures and footage of the filth and pollution in American before the EPA.

Americans do not like to keep places clean, nor do corporations, unless it's THEIR places. If the waste goes on someone else, they don't care.

If what you said were true, we would have no litter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I'm thinking they need a life.

Jul 30, 2018, 5:32 PM

Perhaps they should all move to Southern Cal and fix the smog or something.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That’s great news!

Jul 30, 2018, 5:45 PM

For everyone.

Ten rivers cause 95% of the plastics pollution in the ocean? That is great news! It’s so easy to focus on just those ten sources and come up with action plans to reduce the waste.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Swarley.....

Jul 30, 2018, 5:50 PM

Rhymes with Harley®

-Harley

Re: Swarley.....

Jul 30, 2018, 7:14 PM

Obed rhymes with ####head. Use your imaginations here.

that's exactly correct. except, there is a strong faction

Jul 31, 2018, 9:03 AM [ in reply to That’s great news! ]

in this country and in Europe who are content to let countries bordering those rivers off the hook. Its sooooo much easier to just blame the USA for the worlds ills and the Democrat party in this country is all to happy to concur.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic