Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Truth about Boulware?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Truth about Boulware?

Aug 22, 2014, 12:38 PM

Ok,... I remember watching Boulware in the High School All-American game a couple years ago as well as his highlight reel and getting pretty excited about this young man, but when you read the boards about him there seems to be some obvious bias... so here's my question for the adult crowd who may have actually seen him play in person and practicing along side our other stud LB's

Is Boulware really deserving of the considerable hype that seems to follow his every move, or is a significant portion of the hype based on a little "Great White Hope" syndrome?

Just curious

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The only two positions I ever notice race are

Aug 22, 2014, 12:42 PM

running back and kicker because it is so strange to see a white RB or a black kicker.

But I pull for Tigers, not white or black players.

I think there is great hope for Boulware because of his local connection and domination of the all-star games.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: The only two positions I ever notice race are

Aug 22, 2014, 1:06 PM

You don't have to be racist to think, "It would be nice to see a white kid come in and bust some heads at LB (Boulware) and be an old school enforcer, or at RB (Fleming) be a hard-nosed downhill runner, just like you don't have to be a racist to want to see a black kid come in and light it up in he passing game like Tajh and hopefully Watson at QB.

Just wondering if some of that skews the opinion of a kids actual ability sometimes. I know we are largely (but not totally) beyond the race issue, and trust me, the players have been beyond that for a long time.

Yeah if only we had a white linebacker last year..***

Aug 22, 2014, 1:07 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah if only we had a white linebacker last year..***

Aug 22, 2014, 1:26 PM

I have not commented on anything sense last year. I just read the post. But really? You really asked that question?
I think He is Orange!!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's actually my theory for much of the Boulware love.

Aug 22, 2014, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Yeah if only we had a white linebacker last year..*** ]

Shuey had a lot of fans around here and i think they naturally gravitated to Boulware when Shuey graduated b/c the two seems fairly similar.

Boulware is more talented***

Aug 22, 2014, 2:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And Shuey had great instincts, a nose for the ball, and was

Aug 22, 2014, 6:24 PM

almost always in the right position.

Shuey is taller than Boulware....

Aug 22, 2014, 7:33 PM [ in reply to That's actually my theory for much of the Boulware love. ]

Boulware was a 4 star recruit and Shuey was a 2 star recruit. They're style of play isn't similar. Boulware plays with complete abandon.

I think there's a little bit of that

Aug 22, 2014, 12:43 PM

But look at next year's recruiting class. Look at Boulware's high school stats, Spencer Shuey's career... I think what you're talking about is mostly a thing of the past.

Boulware is far more heralded than Shuey

Aug 22, 2014, 2:51 PM

It's not like he's an underdog white guy who's a "5- heart" player. This is a guy who was in the UnderArmour All- American game, who was in the top 250 players in the country, and who was in the top 10 at his position.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Black, white, South Pacific islander ... they are all orange

Aug 22, 2014, 12:45 PM

The notion of wanting a player to succeed based on race is about a generation out of time. Folks pull for Boulware because he's a local kid, loves Clemson and plays with abandon.

As I'm sure we all recall, that style of play earned some bonehead penalties and got him out of position at times last year. But the kid plays with heart ... and I firmly believe his heart, not his skin, is what folks love about him.

Spot the d@mn ball! Athenia deleda est!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen Rev!***

Aug 22, 2014, 1:17 PM

null

Re: Truth about Boulware?

Aug 22, 2014, 12:45 PM

HE'S BRENT VENABLES WET DREAM I TELL YA

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2014, 12:46 PM

I think he's an outstanding football player that has a bright future at Clemson. Chad Smith kind of fits the same mold.

another caucky***

Aug 22, 2014, 12:48 PM

Aug 22, 2014, 12:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Truth about Boulware? ]

if he is neck and neck with steward at this point, then I think he will be a star before all is said and done.

Aug 22, 2014, 1:03 PM

There is no doubt that genetics plays a role but it is not simply black and white. There is a high concentration of athletic black people because of the slavery system. There are plenty of black people in Africa that are not as athletic as those here. However, this still makes up a small percentage of people.

Typically there is the notion that they are faster than other races but only by miniscule differences. Maybe enough to dominate olympic track events.

Another reason for the difference is the fact that many people of white descent have spent the better part of a millennium doing agriculture and or even no physical labor. Most African peoples especially those that were enslaved were more mobile and so they are physically more likely to be fast.

The same goes in reverse for the notion of big old cornfed boys "farm-type" players. These make good linemen. However, there are plenty of black offensive linemen as well, think Corey Robinson last year from Auburn.

However, within sports there is more than just sheer numbers. People have to have instincts. Boulware is good because he has instincts, is very strong, and has some speed for a linebacker.

Just some thoughts. All this really means is that there is a higher chance that a black athlete will be more suitable to be a RB,CB, maybe WR. However, as I watch more football, there are more white athletes it seems. Maybe it fluctuates, maybe white people were doing something else with there time instead of playing ball.

In any case, does it matter? I hope that anyone who puts on the orange will be the best. Go Tigers! HTH

Aug 22, 2014, 1:05 PM

if this were true, the fastest players would be from the north.

Aug 22, 2014, 1:12 PM

i dont think i understand what you are saying... The south has a higher concentration of blacks than the north.

Aug 22, 2014, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Truth about Boulware? ]

Did you post this as a serious explanation? Do you live in your mothers basement with no one to listen to your trash?

Sorry dude, you're drawing straws

Aug 22, 2014, 1:16 PM

If you really believe that Clemson fans getting hyped and pulling for a LB that causes violent collisions with no regard for their own safety is based on Ben being white, how do you explain Lateek Townsend?

Re: Sorry dude, you're drawing straws

Aug 22, 2014, 1:28 PM

There was nowhere near the hype surrounding Lateek as the has been Boulware. I don't think Steward and Anthony had as much and they are hands down the highest rated LB's we've signed in 20 years.

sure there was and i'd say there was more chatter of kellen

Aug 22, 2014, 1:36 PM

jones blowing up than boulware, that is before kellen got hurt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boulware gets attention because of how violent he is

Aug 22, 2014, 1:20 PM

There are certain sick individuals that will just absolutely steamroll your ### because they legitimately LIKE doing that kind of thing. Boulware is one of those.

It's like how we have a sick curiosity about car crashes. Watching him smash into someone is kind of like that. You feel sorry for the recipient, but also boggle at how someone would throw their body at another so hard.

That's the appeal of Boulware. I don't think he's our most athletic LB by a long shot, but he's probably our most violent. He's going to get the crowd fired up every time he smashes someone.

Aug 22, 2014, 1:25 PM

Boulware plays like the linebackers of old: Butkus, Nobis, Lanier,
Taylor, etc. He will take your head off and make you like it.
He is violence in action and I'm proud to call him a Tiger.

Aug 22, 2014, 1:29 PM

photo boulware_zps83f72378.jpg

http://www.tigernet.com/story/recruiting/Camp-Confidential-Day-Two-Session-Two-11743

boulware loves football as much as i do; i dig that

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

real deal***

Aug 22, 2014, 1:30 PM

i see no color --

Aug 22, 2014, 1:31 PM

As a Clemson fan, I would love to hear the news about anyone on the team or even past players regardless of skin color. Actually, I am shocked at your question and I am not trying to be disrespectful to you but I was surprised that you even posted this question. I've been on this board for years, and I don't see any favoritism to any player based on skin color and I really think you are not correct even to point it out. May be I am oblivious to something that you are seeing but I am not for sure. This is not the university of Ole Miss...

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Re: i see no color --

Aug 22, 2014, 1:37 PM

That's fine... but there is inordinate discussion of him with regard to his contributions on the field. I don't think I'm wrong for asking this. Boulevard is going to be a really good player, but honestly we are stacked at LB. Boulevard and Goodson hit as hard as anybody. They are both violent players and will give us depth this year and promise in the years to come. But to say there is not strange curiosity about Boulware or Fleming as opposed to CJ Davidson (a track star walk on potential stud) does show some inattention.

Stupid thread.***

Aug 22, 2014, 1:42 PM

I don't care if they're green

Aug 22, 2014, 2:07 PM

As long as they can blow up running backs, terrorize quarterbacks, and intercept passes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Aug 22, 2014, 2:13 PM

Let him run you over and get back to us on that one ;)

John Leake***

Aug 22, 2014, 2:50 PM

Aug 22, 2014, 3:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Truth about Boulware? ]

I've been hit by Sam Cowart, Mike Barber, Tim Jones, and a grip of other guys that played in the league... I think I'm fairly qualified to ask this question.

Have you contacted Jessy, Al or the Black Panthers?

Aug 22, 2014, 2:13 PM

I'm wondering what they'd say.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have you contacted Jessy, Al or the Black Panthers?

Aug 22, 2014, 4:26 PM

No... Have you?

Yes, he's pretty good, but there's also some "white hope"

Aug 22, 2014, 2:49 PM

You don't play as much as he did as a freshmen and compete with a guy like Steward who has all kinds of athleticism if you're just a white fan favorite. For as much as he's overhyped (which I don't think is much), there's also a weird group of people who don't seem to think he's any good.

There was a hilariously ignorant thread here a couple weeks ago claiming that Boulware wasn't actually very athletic and saying he wasn't good enough to ever really be a starter. Where you would get that idea, I don't know.

Re: Yes, he's pretty good, but there's also some "white hope"

Aug 22, 2014, 3:59 PM

I think I agree completely with you. He looked like a heat speaking missle in his HS film and the all star games and I hope he kills it on the field for us and beyond, but there are some interesting conversation/perspectives in regard to him. Thanks for offering your opinion.

Hey CRobb

Aug 22, 2014, 3:40 PM

Re: Hey CRobb

Aug 22, 2014, 4:00 PM

Yeah... I think you are right

That is some of it

Aug 22, 2014, 4:07 PM

along with him being a local boy (TL Hanna HS).

Myself, and I'm sure you feel the same way, don't care if the whole team is white, black, or orange but just want to see players that can get something done. Honestly I think Boulware has a lot of athletic ability but he seems to almost be too out of control, from what we've seen and heard. He gives it his all but a good LB doesn't just run around crazy or he gets lost on the field. We saw a lot of this with Shuey. Shuey made a lot of good plays but also ran into a lot of blocks, our own players, and tripped over himself, being wild. I think Boulware is in this same category.

Go back and watch Gurley's long run in the GA game. Shuey over runs the play and takes out another Tiger that was in position to make a tackle.

If Boulware can contain himself better and has the mental capacity to play smart then he will make a good LB but if the way recruiting is going I do not know if Boulware will ever be the man at LB that some people believe he already is.

He is a gamer, plain and simple...

Aug 22, 2014, 7:16 PM

no great white hope syndrome here

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic