Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Am I the only one that had to spend childhood Labor Days
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,359

Am I the only one that had to spend childhood Labor Days

Sep 7, 2020, 12:47 PM

helping my dad wax the car to "protect it through the winter"?

There was usually a thunderstorm that followed. He blamed it on a build up of static electricity from "everyone" buffing their cars with rags and elbow grease.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Am I the only one that had to spend childhood Labor Days

Sep 7, 2020, 1:04 PM

Hey Mole, don't take this the wrong way, because no harm is intended, but are you bragging, or complaining? Having never known my father, that sounds like an experience I would have looked back on with a smile. I like the thunderstorm theory, makes sense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work ethic and maintenance are good characteristics to have!***

Sep 7, 2020, 1:06 PM

Speaking of which...I need to go cut the grass!

Message was edited by: AeroTiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Not everyone. My Dad could care less if the car ever got

Sep 7, 2020, 1:14 PM

washed, much less waxed. Being a farmer, he was much more concerned about when, or IF it was going to rain when needed. (No irrigation systems around back then. They could only take care of half your water issues, anyway.)

Sep 7, 2020, 1:21 PM

I'm not bragging or complaining. I do think he was a bit of a shyster in convincing us kids that Labor Day was set aside as a holiday so workers could wax their cars.

Sep 7, 2020, 1:55 PM

Never was needed to wax the car but I sure picked my share of cotton!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2020, 3:02 PM

Labor Day didn't mean anything when I was growing up. We went to school on Labor Day elementary-high school and had classes at Clemson like any other day. I attended one session of summer school at Clemson, and we had classes on July 4, but not many attended.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2020, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Am I the only one that had to spend childhood Labor Days ]

I'm with you Buddy. Picking cotton, hauling hay, throwing wheat straw back in the barn loft while the thresher( these youngsters probably don't know what that is), was blowing it all over you, and many other such fun things were standard operations six days a week. Labor Day, just another day to work. On July 4th we always plowed up the Irish potatoes. But since it was my birthday we did, at least, make a churn(hand cranked) of ice cream that evening.

I would have loved to have spent an afternoon under the shade of a big oak tree washing and waxing the car

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,359
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic