Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Where we stand: We're bad, we're nationwide ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 3,205

Where we stand: We're bad, we're nationwide ...

May 27, 2016, 10:49 PM

But is Clemson a national seed? And if not, what the heck will it take?

After looking over the landscape and the possible path ahead, I'd say:

If Clemson beats Wake tomorrow AND if Florida State is not the ACC champion ... Then Clemson has a good shot of ending up with a national seed.

Part of that admittedly bold statement is the result of how the Tigers have played the last two weeks. Remember a couple of week ago, when we were trying to will the guys into the ACC tournament? They've taken the opportunity and run with it.

At the same time, several "can't miss" national seeds have missed ... missed badly in some cases.

Right now, there are still 5 teams I say are "can't miss," and two of them are playing in Durham: Louisville (47-11) and Miami (46-10) could tank tomorrow and still be national seeds. They are that good.

The other 3 "sure shot" teams are playing in Hoover: Texas A&M (43-14) already had a spot, and whipping Vandy today didn't hurt. Florida (46-12) beat the stew out of Miss State in a game I think was a national elimination game. Meanwhile, LSU (42-17) has lost once ... ONCE ... in the month of May. The other Tigers are red-hot with wins over other would-be national seeds.

That leaves three spots for several teams who have valid claims. I'm tossing out a handful of teams who have faltered recently:

* The Capons
(42-15): If Clemson claims a national seed, this is the team we likely take it from. The Capons were a lock a couple of weeks ago, but going 3-7 in their last 10 games vs. Top 50 teams and going 0-for-Hoover (again) may well scuttle their hopes. With no chance at redemption, look for a region in Columbia, nothing more.

* Vandy (43-17) has a slightly brighter hope than the Capons, but going 3-7 vs. Top 50 teams (including back-to-back losses vs. likely national seeds) may be too much to overcome.

* NC State (34-20): Were the Wuffies ever REALLY national seed material? If so, cropping late season series to Clemson and FSU (plus going 2-9 vs. Top 50 teams in the month of May) shot those hopes down.

* Miss. State
(41-16-1): PIty the poor Bulldogs ... after taking the top seed in the SEC, life looked so promising. Then they walked into a buzz saw in Hoover watching their RPI slip. Like S. Carolina, the Diamond Dawgs have seen the other team in their start come on strong, likely grabbing a national seed at their expense.

* Texas Tech
(41-16) or TCU (40-14) were the biggest hope of getting a Super outside the South. Alas both teams have pretty meager numbers for a national seed.At least TCU is still alive in its conference tourney, while Tech was two and 'cue. My hunch: if TCU wins the Big 12, they'll be a national seed, just to put one somewhere outside he SEC/ACC stranglehold.

That leaves a few other teams in the running, including Clemson (41-18), Fla. State (36-19) in the ACC and Ole Miss (43-16) in the SEC. If Clemson wins Saturday, the Tigers will go into the ACC title game with a 14-3 in Mayand a likely No. 6 RPI. Even losing to Miami in the finals would not be seen as a black mark.

Losing to FSU might be, if the Noles make the finals. Even worse, if the Noles make the finals and Clemson loses to Wake tomorrow. That combination, I feel would be enough to give the nod to FSU.

The upshot:
If Clemson wins Saturday, and faces Miami in the finals, someone would have to explain to me why the Tigers are not a national seed. There just aren't that many viable options.

Finish strong, Tigers!

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where we stand: We're bad, we're nationwide ...

May 27, 2016, 11:03 PM

Thanks Rev! Here's looking forward to making our own path and not needing the cards to fall our way! Go Tigers, win the ACC!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2016, 1:34 AM

I may not know you personally, but every time you post, I thoroughly enjoy reading your insight and thoughts. Thanks and goodnight!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2016, 1:46 AM

> I may not know you personally, but every time you
> post, I thoroughly enjoy reading your insight and
> thoughts. Thanks and goodnight!

My thought exactly

May 28, 2016, 1:49 AM

I despise baseball.

This post still rocked.

Well done, RevDodd. This is how you do it, for you wanna-be posters who wanna get 10,000 hits on a post but don't know how...hey, you just be this good, and write - or present - something this well. Then again, the Rev just...does this. A lot.

I am humbled. This is legit, well, quality.

Carry on, Rev.

May 28, 2016, 3:36 AM

I mostly just read here. I only post when warranted.

Rev, thanks.

Always love the Rev's posts.***

May 28, 2016, 7:41 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What did you expect from a man...

May 28, 2016, 6:11 AM

who juggles snakes?

May 28, 2016, 7:43 AM

Great read, Rev, thanks!

I'm curious as to the chances we meet the coots in a regional ( 'not very'?) or super regional ('likely').... of course all that is predicated upon thinking positively that we continue to progress (win).

As for the coots, 1) while I hate for them to progress; 2) would hate even more to be eliminated (?) by them; but 3) the satisfaction of putting THEM out is worth the (perceived) risk.

Thoughts?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

May 28, 2016, 7:45 AM

UnAmerican to "despise baseball". Suppose you don't like hot dogs or apple pie either? Lol

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 3,205
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic