Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2020 LB Crew - will be better than some think!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,878

2020 LB Crew - will be better than some think!

Sep 16, 2020, 9:12 PM

I know we lost freakishly athletic I. Simmons. We also lost C. Smith and his veteran leadership. Skalski played a ton of football! I think Mike Jones will be a really good player for us.

Jake Venables and LaVonta Bentley are players I am hoping will be major contributors this year! Spector just lead the team in tackles this past Saturday and played well.

I feel much better about this group after seeing them the 1st game.

This will be a good solid group that I've seen questioned in a publication or two. I think they will be more than okay.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2020 LB Crew - will be better than some think!

Sep 16, 2020, 10:24 PM

I think Mike and Will will be great...I am concerned with Jones at the hybrid simply because of his coverage skills...He’s good against the run but we better hope the Wake game isn’t any indication of what’s to be for him in coverage. Man we really miss Simmons.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Sep 16, 2020, 10:43 PM

Venables will probably cross train one of the back up safeties who can run well for the position if Jones doesn't look like he will pan out.
Likely a lighter body in the box but one that wouldn't be a liability in pass coverage!

But, before we get there, I am thinking Jones will pick it up and play well!

Sep 16, 2020, 10:50 PM

One thing I noticed was when they were 3 down linemen they did not get any pressure @ all but they did not blitz either. Maybe the just used a bland defense on Saturday.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 16, 2020, 10:51 PM

I really need to read over things before I post!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 16, 2020, 10:59 PM [ in reply to Re: 2020 LB Crew - will be better than some think! ]

Wake was I believe top 5 in number of plays per game a year ago. The defense as you suggested was likely base.

They probably didn't want to risk having players not lined up properly trying to do something more exotic. A no huddle defense if you will.

Teams that don't go as fast will probably see a lot more aggressive and exotic blitz package. Honestly hoping Murphy, Henry, Mascol and company can generate pressure without having to blitz. Big thing we were missing last year i.m.o(all year even when we won). Pressure off the edge has to improve. I think it will - KJ Henry is entering year 3 so - I expect big things from him.

Sep 16, 2020, 11:06 PM

I think he will have to go back to a 4 man front. When they ran the 4 man front they got pressure.

Sep 16, 2020, 11:20 PM

Probably right. He has to build that trust with the young guys first. I like our whole team and the following is only about my opinion of these players. But, I think Bresee and Murphy with experience will end up being your starters. J. Will is solid but not that explosive force for his size you would like. He's good don't get me wrong; just not that dominant at the p.o.a. Right now, he knows the plays better! Has been a solid starter and is a serviceable starter.
N. Pinckney just can't stay healthy long enough. He could be a solid player for us - if he can stay healthy. The young guys I think have the higher upside as far as beyond college ability. I think that will manifest itself as the season goes on.

Tyler Davis is just special/different. NFL caliber talent that is dominant at the point of attack.

Greg Williams RS last season - I haven't seen what position he will play. He played LB in HS - but the talk last year was that he would be converted into DE. DE room seems kind of deep with potential! Foster and Henry just to name two solid performers with high potential.

Also wondered about Greg Williams.

Sep 17, 2020, 8:37 AM

Didn't see him but was looking. I found myself kind of confused over a few numbers I did not know.
#30 and #98. Of course Murphy, but Maguire and his TD saving tackle was nice to see as well.

Re: Also wondered about Greg Williams.

Sep 17, 2020, 6:01 PM

So is Williams still a Swis Army Knife or has he settled in one particular position? I haven't seen anything on him.

Sep 18, 2020, 1:03 PM

This might not be a favorable opinion but Keith Macguire & Kane Patterson both looked far better than Jake Venables and I’d never heard either of their names before last weekend. And Levonta Bentley continues to impress as well.

Spector & Jones Jr. both went crazy!

And I’d love to see Regan Upshaw get put back at LB full time. He was looking like Keith Adam’s 2.0 at 5’10” 240lbs!

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,878
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic