Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I notice prayers being answered was a reason applied to why
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 422

I notice prayers being answered was a reason applied to why

Sep 10, 2020, 11:28 AM

Trump was elected was mentioned below.

How does this work? Did God completely ignore the prayers from people wanting Hillary to be elected? Is a it a popularity contest, and the one who gets more prayers wins?

The whole prayer thing confuses me. Why do we have "prayer lists"? What does that do? It sounds like you really have to yell at God for him to listen. is the thought that the more folks who pray for something, the more likely God is to say "yeah, Ok..you can have this one".

How does this work?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

works like this

Sep 10, 2020, 11:31 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Yeah, seems a wee silly...

Sep 10, 2020, 11:33 AM

That someone believes God went, "Oh, you're praying to have a guy like Trump as your president? I hear ya, bruh. Here ya go. #### all them other folks who want Hillary. Everyone knows I only choose Republicans."

I mean, hell, if God really does bless America, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't dump Trump or Hillary on us.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

After the election last time, I never thought our candidate

Sep 10, 2020, 11:37 AM

choices could get worse.

But then again...

Logic and religion are a bit like oil and water.

Sep 10, 2020, 11:39 AM

There isn't a whole lotta overlap between the two.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, prayers for Hillary didn't work

Sep 10, 2020, 11:42 AM

because Democrats are godless. Duh.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if republican are just better at praying?***

Sep 10, 2020, 3:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know about the veracity of prayers being answered...

Sep 10, 2020, 11:45 AM

being the reason for Trump being elected. I'm not sure which post it is. I'm not doubting you, I've heard people using prayer as an excuse for stupid things as well.

A healthy theology of prayer doesn't view God as a genie in a lamp sitting around waiting to grant you your wishes. Prayer is putting action behind your faith. For instance, someone who is praying for God to help their finances, but does not change the behavior that got them in trouble in the first place isn't really practicing faith.

Prayer is about having a relationship with God and seeking the things he wants. Prayer is really for the person to conform to God's will, not for God to conform to man's will.

That may or may not make sense, but it is just answering the question, "How does prayer work?"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hera ya go

Sep 10, 2020, 12:07 PM

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/message/Re-I-think-its-because-a-lot-of-people-are-willing-to-spend-27755310

So whats up with prayer lists? Why does more than one person praying supposed to help?

So praying for someone who has a terminal disease does no

Sep 10, 2020, 12:28 PM [ in reply to I don't know about the veracity of prayers being answered... ]

good?

How might someone change the behavior of getting a cancer or other incurable disease that doesn't have a direct causation? And how does "living God's will" even apply to that?

I think prayer matters...

Sep 10, 2020, 1:51 PM

the Bible teaches prayer can move God's heart. The Bible teaches us to pray for our leaders - all of them.

The cancer illustration in regards to behavior could only be applicable IMO if it is brought on by behavior like smoking, etc.

God doesn't "punish" somebody with cancer.

Why he chooses to heal some and not the other I do not know.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If there is a God, certainly he punishes people, often for

Sep 10, 2020, 2:50 PM

no other visible reason other than his own perverse enjoyment of being able to do so.

Re: If there is a God, certainly he punishes people, often for

Sep 10, 2020, 4:40 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If there is a God, certainly he punishes people, often for

Sep 10, 2020, 4:44 PM [ in reply to If there is a God, certainly he punishes people, often for ]

God has not punished any living person since the end of the dispensation of Levitical Law. When Christ died that changed, He fulfilled the judgment of the law.

Most suffering is simple reaping what you sow while some is due to the perversion of health by Adam and Eve in the garden. God created health and we turned it into sickness including disease. God's punishment has only one result. Being exiled from God's presence.

The surprise is only to those who do not believe God is real and that The Bible is His Word. They will be astounded to know that God was present during their lives and they refused to see the truth. There will be no hope but there will be a complete understanding of why they are suffering the loss of God's presence.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People who think God had a hand in Trump's victory

Sep 10, 2020, 11:51 AM

have a screw loose; and they're giving people of real faith a bad reputation...so cut that shid out, y'all!

People who don't think he had a hand are

Sep 10, 2020, 11:59 AM

well, atheists.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Were we living in OT times, I pretty sure

Sep 10, 2020, 12:06 PM

Yahweh would've found a group of people to smote by now.

We can't be Christians who believe in man's free-will?***

Sep 10, 2020, 12:11 PM [ in reply to People who don't think he had a hand are ]

"had a hand" is pretty freaking broad, and I was

Sep 10, 2020, 12:25 PM

certainly including "knew of our mistakes before they ever happened" as an option.

If you're suggesting that Trump was elected and it was a total shock to God that came out of the blue, we are indeed discussing different theologies.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Being omniscient and steering an election are

Sep 10, 2020, 12:53 PM

two vastly different things. For one to believe that his/her leader and group are "favored" by God is horribly arrogant and in contrast to what faithful people should believe.

Yeah, I think this issue can become circular quickly...

Sep 10, 2020, 4:46 PM [ in reply to "had a hand" is pretty freaking broad, and I was ]

in my mind, I picture God as allowing free-will, but he knows what is going to happen.

So, in this instance, he knew Trump would be POTUS, but that doesn't mean he "made it happen".

Yep, I rub the lamp, sprinkle fairy dust,...

Sep 10, 2020, 3:09 PM

wish upon a star, clap my hands pass the singing bush and call for my fairy godmother, then and only then does God The Almighty do exactly what I say. In doing that He only sacrifices His soverntery and perfect will. It's a small sacrifice to please someone as Holy as me, wouldn't you agree?

Franc said it best.

Prayers does a variety of things for me. It either alters my will to coincide with God's will or it gives me comfort that God's will is best.

All the while I realize that man usurped God's authority when we took of the forbidden fruit and brought sickness, misery, loneliness, pain, suffering and death upon ourselves. Let him who is sinless call this unjust while the rest of us get less than we deserve by God's mercy.

With authority comes responsibility and with responsibility comes accountability. Man's failure to understand the concept makes us blind and deaf to spiritual things.

"Man's failure to understand the concept"

Sep 10, 2020, 3:43 PM

And whose fault is that?

If that is what the omniscient creator really wanted, than that is what he should have made.

What a bag of bricks to be carrying around.

God didn't make man sinful.

Sep 10, 2020, 4:33 PM

God, as far as we know, only laid out one thing not to do. He wasn't the monster you presume Him to be. One simple rule, 'Don't do that.'

Man, by partaking of the forbidden fruit, usurped God's authority and became his own authority. If a teenager drives a car while drinking and the drinking make him drunk is the parent at fault even though they plainly told him not to drink and gave him special warnings about drinking and driving?

Do you blame the parent?

Replies: 23
| visibility 422
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic