Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lunge advice needed. Newdog.net qwershun
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Lunge advice needed. Newdog.net qwershun

Oct 28, 2019, 11:41 AM

So wife wants to buy a new dog. Our first dog Beau (RIP) was a boykin. She and I agree they shed too much and are too hyper. So she wants a freaking mini-bernadoddle. Whatever that is. Then I find they're expensive as ####. Like more than a Boykin. Yikes. Ok, I'm still on board.

So wife keeps sending me pics from several breeders (they have websites that advertise reputable breeders). Wife keeps finding puppies and falls in love with the freaking picture and wants to buy it. Breeders are in Charlotte and Greenville. Let me state again, she wants to buy one, off the internet, based on a picture, and we go and pick it up.

NOW, our disagreement is on buying the dog. She's fine spending an obscene amount on a dog (ugh) based on a picture. NOT ME. I want to see the dog, AND SEE IT INTERACT with its litter mates. Based on a pic alone, we could be buying a spaz dog, or a runt, or super-aggressive one. Who knows. I've never bought a dog where I didn't see their personality playing with other puppies BEFORE buying it. Ever. Only had four dogs. Still, this is principle for me. Like buying clothes on the internet. I refuse to do it.

So how do I reason with unreasonable, short of a lawyer.

TIA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is she a woman?

Oct 28, 2019, 11:45 AM

if so, then you can't.

You have two feet. Put one of them down.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

It's down. It ain't moving.

Oct 28, 2019, 11:49 AM

I'm just trying to see if there's a way to penetrate through the logic-blocking layer of her brain.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's your problem

Oct 28, 2019, 12:09 PM

you're trying to penetrate the wrong thing

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

you can always send back clothes bought off the internet

Oct 28, 2019, 11:46 AM

probably not a dog that easily

I sat down with 7 golden pups about 6 weeks old jumping and yanking on me

I picked the one that didn't lunge for my face, turned out pretty good but now he will sometime lunge for my face

it's a crapshoot

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I would not ever buy on internet pic alone.

Oct 28, 2019, 11:50 AM

I want to see the parents and interact with the puppy. The last lab we got we met the litter at 8 days (did not handle them) and started interacting with them around week 4 and picked up at week 7.

Also, maybe you're prepared or used to this but you didn't mention prior dog breeds, but i would think that mix has the potential to be BIG. I had a good friend with a bernese that walked around at around 105 lbs.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Prior breeds other than Boykin, meant to say ***

Oct 28, 2019, 11:56 AM

ok, just ignore me completely on the size thing, missed the

Oct 28, 2019, 11:57 AM

"mini" part of benradoodle.

Everything else still stands.

what was his lie down weight?

Oct 28, 2019, 11:59 AM [ in reply to I would not ever buy on internet pic alone. ]

just checking

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Must've been about 500 lbs,

Oct 28, 2019, 12:56 PM

you were not moving that dog once he was laying down.

25-40 lbs. per what I've read.

Oct 28, 2019, 12:11 PM [ in reply to I would not ever buy on internet pic alone. ]

About the same size as a Boykin. Here are the puppies.

https://charlottedogclub.com/puppies/mini-bernedoodle/

From what I'm told you get to see and play with the dog. You don't see it interacting with the litter. You don't see the parents (mother especially). You don't deal with the person who actually breeds them. Wife's telling me that's just the way it's done. I say BS. I know 4-5 Boykin breeders where I can go and see a litter. ALL the puppies. TOGETHER. Meet the breeder. See the mother. Watch the puppies interacting, playing, etc. That's how I've always bought dogs. And I don't see that changing. If I an relegated to buying a dog from a website where hundreds of people send puppies anonymously, then I'm not buying. Especially at the posted prices. NO WAY.

The way I tried to analogize this with the misses is "Would you just have said yes and married me on the spot having never met my friends or family?" Now I'm saying this to a person who orders most of her clothes online and does grocery store pickup. And we're forever getting the wrong stuff or bad produce from the grocery store pickup and there are 3-6 clothing items at any given time that are sitting on a table in our house waiting to be shipped back to Amazon or wherever.

I like Tom.

Oct 28, 2019, 8:11 PM

but whoa, that is some serious pocket change.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, not doing it based on the purchase process

Oct 29, 2019, 9:04 AM

No way in hell. Personally I don't like the breed. I won't say why, because that would be a direct indictment of my wife.

adopt-a-pup or go home***

Oct 28, 2019, 11:52 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Not to make OP feel like shid, but

Oct 29, 2019, 12:34 PM

~1.2 million adoptable dogs are euthanized every year in the US. I imagine at least one of those would fit the bill.

https://news.orvis.com/dogs/pet-adoption-statistics-the-numbers-behind-the-need

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, Petfinder is a product of a Clemson grad

Oct 29, 2019, 12:37 PM

so, go Tigers. Also, pups.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would personally buy one of Greenr's Goldens that are due

Oct 28, 2019, 11:54 AM

in about 9 days.

We have bought dogs online, but we went and picked one out from the litter prior to paying picking up. Except the last one, bought just from pictures online, met in ATL. Dog came from Alabama.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just looked up the price of Bernedoodles and I can say

that you can buy 3 of my Golden puppies for the price of one of those and then keep the best one, sell the other two at about 4-5 months old.

When do you want to send the deposit?

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Greenr over here trying to pass off his surplus children off

Oct 29, 2019, 11:25 AM [ in reply to I would personally buy one of Greenr's Goldens that are due ]

as dogs.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

Those frankendoodles are all genetic freaks

I’ve read they forced the crosses too fast and it messes them up or sometimes they get the negative traits from both breeds rather than the positive ones.

Would never get a dog sight unseen - or pay a breeder. Go visit a few pounds in the area, find a dog that pretty much looks like the one she wants, play with it and see if it’s a good fit

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

My too sense....

Oct 28, 2019, 12:03 PM

If you're not going to show it, hunt it, have it sniff for bombs, have it search for cadavers in collapsed buildings, or star in a Hollywood action film, then why are you buying a dog from a breeder? Is it important that she be able to hold it up in front of her friends and humblebrag about the breed and the pedigree? There are far too many great dogs that need to be rescued. You can pretty well get any age, any temperament, and any breed in a rescue unless it's something obscure that your wife can show off or brag about. If that's the case, you ought to stand up on this because YOU'RE going to end up doing all the work in taking care of the dog anyway.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You need to short circuit the process.

Oct 28, 2019, 12:05 PM

Get the kids involved. Find rescue orgs of breeds that you like and take the youngins over meet some dogs. Breeders suck, man.

"Momma! I want this one...ain't he soooooo cute!"...and yer outta the micro mini flooper doodle breeder trap.

Prediction

Oct 28, 2019, 12:08 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it out of the question to go see the litter?

Oct 28, 2019, 1:39 PM

If the breeder allows that, then do it.

We went this path originally with our GSP. We were going to be given a list of photos to pick from, but then we were allowed a day to go see the litter and interact with the pups a few weeks before we took one home. Long story short, the litter ended up all being born dead.

The day after we found out, we found a different breeder with GSP pups. Found a pic of a pup we liked. I went up to get that male puppy, but ended up leaving with our current female, Ellie.

Pics alone only draw heart strings, but interaction is most important.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Last sentence = my thoughts***

Oct 28, 2019, 3:12 PM

My old dog was the runt. Turned into best dog ever

Oct 28, 2019, 2:01 PM

Romeo (RIP) was a lover of women, but scared of guys. Just needed some work for confidence, and turned into the best dog ever. Great with the kids, protective of the family, very obedient off leash. He was the last one from his litter adopted from the rescue group.

Don't give up on the runts. And don't spend for a designer dog.

Exactly. It’s like picking a prostitute on backpage (rip)

Oct 28, 2019, 3:21 PM

They never look as good as the pics and def not the personality the post says they have. Don’t do it

Short, concise explanation. Great analogy. I like it.

Oct 29, 2019, 11:41 AM

Tiggity® you should definitely use this analogy in your future puppy discussions with your wife.

She'd be shickled titless I'm shure.***

Oct 29, 2019, 3:06 PM

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic