Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Allow me this brief moment of nostalgia.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Allow me this brief moment of nostalgia.

Nov 29, 2020, 2:28 PM

I appreciate y'all welcoming me here. And, I occasionally remind y'all to enjoy the moment. Relish the situation you are in. Don't take it for granted.

Well, in the game yesterday, I saw something very specific that reminded me of "what FSU football used to be." And, after the game, Dabo and Tony confirmed my reaction.

Pitt runs a flea-flicker. Clemson D plays it perfectly and makes the relatively easy interception. Second play after that Clemson runs the same play. Wide open reception for a TD. My reaction was, "Dabo told Tony, 'Let's show them how that play is supposed to work'."

After the game, Dabo admitted he called the play. He even used the phrase, with a sly grin, "A little professional courtesy." In his post game presser, Tony said it was Dabo's call. He aslo had a nice little grin and used the phrase "professional courtesy."

It is wonderful to be in a position where your team is so superior and you are so confident in their ability that you can do stuff like that.

Some of y'all will remember that play 20 years from now, and a sly little grin will come across your face as well.

These are special days for Clemson fans. Enjoy them. Relish them. Let them soak in, way deep down.

I might have enjoyed that play, in real time, as much as any of y'all did. I'll guarantee you, I had more than just a sly grin on my face when I saw ETN stop and lateral the ball back to Trevor. I almost pulled a Kiffin and signaled "Touchdown" before Trevor even threw the ball.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Allow me this brief moment of nostalgia.

Nov 29, 2020, 2:52 PM

Appreciate the post and yes I am soaking it all in as I well remember how good FSU was for all those years and some of the beat downs you gave us.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As soon as TE9 pitched it back...

Nov 29, 2020, 3:17 PM

I said, "Hey ya'll, watch this" and raised my arms! Good call, Bret.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2020, 5:24 PM

Even though not in the camera shot, you knew someone was wide open the way TL released the ball. I yelled TD as it left his hand.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was a clipboard tosser, alright.

Nov 29, 2020, 5:54 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2020, 7:29 PM

Like the shovel pas against Bama. Their's didn't work and ours went for a TD!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2020, 7:21 AM

Always good to hear your perspective. One of my best friends is my former pastor when we lived in north Georgia near Chattanooga and the memories of when THAT GAME with your team was the measuring stick of our season! Both of you represent the very best of your university, in my opinion! Thanks for sharing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2020, 7:36 AM

That's one of those hold my beer moments that Dabo just could not resist. I'm just enjoying the ride.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2020, 7:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Allow me this brief moment of nostalgia. ]

null

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent post - but please....

Nov 30, 2020, 3:14 PM

Dabo.... please... when we play better teams.... please let Tony call the plays... Love you, but you're no Jeff Scott :)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: Excellent post - but please....

Nov 30, 2020, 4:03 PM

Hey, Hey, that could be Jeff getting a lot crappy play calling off his chest when he and Tony were CO OC's!!!! ;) ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 30, 2020, 4:24 PM

I was watching the game with my dad and I said I bet Dabo called that play!

You are definitely a good sport and welcome anytime!

I will go to my grave thinking Clemson should’ve won the punt-ruskie game! Deon Sanders Personally kept FSU in that game with his punt return for a touchdown (He pointed to the student section and the Endzone saying I’m taking it to the house!) and his kick return to about the Clemson 35 yard line. Florida State never crossed The 50 yard line with their offense. Their only offensive TD was thanks to Deon getting that big return and our D got caught flat footed and 2 or 3 plays later FSU was in the end zone. Other than that Clemson‘s defense completely shut FSU down that day and we dominated the game controlling the ball and the clock with our run game.

Clemson Was clearly the better team that year and Danny Ford had heard rumors about the trick play and the team looked for the entire game but didn’t think Bobby Bouden would be crazy enough to try it deep in Clemson territory with the click running out in a tie game on national TV and both teams highly ranked. If we stopped it we were already in field-goal range to win the game. So when you think about it FSU had nothing to lose so it’s a perfect time to run it! Ever since that game I’ll look for a trick play on every kick & punt!

But the old riverboat gambler did it and we got caught off guard and it worked to perfection. But FSU made the mistake of calling time out and they didn’t have any timeouts which should’ve been a unsportsmanlike penalty and 15 yards which easily would’ve pushed that field-goal kicker out of range because he could barely kick extra points. That guy was absolutely terrible. He could barely kick a 30 yarder that year.

Then The next year we travel to Tallahassee and put a good old fashion whoopin’ on you guys but that ended up being the only game you guys lost that year! Unfortunately we lost two games including a game we should’ve easily won against Spurrier and Duke in Durham during a sleet storm when we had five interceptions and fumbled three of them back to Duke. Everyone remembers Spurrier and Duke that year but we totally dominated the game!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the post!

Nov 30, 2020, 4:44 PM

And, I agree with 99% of what you wrote. However, I don't believe that Booth's interception was "relatively easy". He channeled his inner Superman flying to catch that ball. ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic