Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
All this recruiting speculation......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 3,476

All this recruiting speculation......

Dec 18, 2017, 10:19 AM

Is fun but in the end we get who we get and then coach them up. Reality is that while it is nice to see 5* sign it is not a really exact scientific method of determining how they play or develop. The Clemson coaching staff has taken walk-on's, , 2* and 3* and had them drafted by the NFL. Conversely we have signed highly touted 4*- 5* that did not pan out at all. In the end all I really want is kids with heart and the desire to be a Tiger, work their tails off to get better and buy in to the Clemson philosophy/culture. Those kids are the one's that will give their 110% on game day. Just my .02$.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That sounds all fine and dandy, but.....

Dec 18, 2017, 10:24 AM

Teams with more highly-ranked players are consistently better. At this point, a single recruit coming to Clemson or not is not going to have a major effect, as somebody else will certainly fill the spot. But it would be silly to say that stars don't matter at all. Give me the 5* WITH the heart and desire any day. I don't think Clemson is recruiting the kind of 5* players that will not pan out or not fit culturally at all now. We have hit on almost every single recruit we've had recently.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: That sounds all fine and dandy, but.....

Dec 18, 2017, 10:30 AM

My question is when can Dabo start signing these FSU/Bama type classes with 29 commitments ?
You know , those classes that allow the staffs of those schools to cull players they deem expendable and to take better advantage of the college football draft ...err , I mean recruiting period ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I hope never

Dec 18, 2017, 10:36 AM

If we have a class of over 25, that means we had several prospects that didn't pan out or had a massive amount of attrition and will now be filling their spots with younger players. I would love to consistently sign 21-22 players every year, have them all pan out and either graduate or go pro.

2019 will be the first full class from the beginning that Dabo has had in awhile. We've had other classes (2015) that filled up, but the attrition occurred so late that we kinda settled later in the process. 2019 will be awesome because Dabo already knows that he will have 25-ish spots to fill and he can go after mostly top prospects.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: That sounds all fine and dandy, but.....

Dec 18, 2017, 10:39 AM [ in reply to That sounds all fine and dandy, but..... ]

Well, as tOSU,UGA,AU,Bama,FSU Michigan,LSU regularly sign higher rated classes than does Clemson I would say that whatever the coaching staff is doing with the guys we get seems to be a lot better than everyone on that list other than Bama. Kids sign elsewhere for their own reasons, be it family ties or proximity to the University. Some for how a program puts folks in the next level at their positions. We have a 5* right now that has hardly sniffed the field and is behind way lower ranked prospects. We have a walk-on who without him we do not survive the CFP games the past 2 years. It is not entirely the end all be all it seems to be . That is my point, heck Vic Beasley was what a 2*-3* depending upon ranking service, seems he did just fine here at Clemson.

but on the flip side the vast majority of walkons/2stars....

Dec 18, 2017, 10:51 AM

don't EVER make a true on field impact here......on anywhere else for that matter.

Yes, we've had some "hits" with some lower recruited players, but for every one of those there's probably 10 2stars that get beat out by 4/5star players.....it is what it is.

if you give a recruiting ranking summary of the previous 3-4 years of any year, you can pick about 8-12 teams based solely on that and chances are the national champion/playoff teams will be in that pool of teams.

Re: All this recruiting speculation......

Dec 18, 2017, 10:33 AM

Anomalies aside, rankings and stars clearly do predict performance in a probabilistic sense.

That said, Dabo's emphasis on recruiting the whole person, and recruiting for culture, also clearly works. Whoever that guy chooses to bring onto the team is fine by me! Dabo's more than proven he knows what he's doing.

not exact, BUT you can bet if you don't land the 4/5stars...

Dec 18, 2017, 10:34 AM

you will likely not be playing for a national title.

rank of 5stars landed from 2014-2017 (which makes up the majority of the current teams)
bama- 1st (with 22)
clemson- 3rd (with 10)
UGA- 7th (with 8)
OU- 15th (with 2)

rank of 4 & 5stars 2014-2017
bama- 1st (with 79)
UGA- 7th (with 54)
OU- 9th (with 50)
Clemson- 14th (with 42)

again it's not EXACT, but it's a VERY good indicator of how "healthy" your program is from a talent perspective. It takes the right "mix" of 4/5star franchise talent mixed in with the 2/3star filler players that are developed.

I'm not down playing the renfrows, gallmans, beasleys of the world, but we are not where we are today WITHOUT the franchisers like DW4, Christian Wilkins, Dexter lawrence, Mike williams, Cain, etc...

Clemson has a great mixture of HIGH caliber talent (ie 4-5stars) & 2/3star "development/under radar" players..............but if we ever stop landing the 4/5stars with the frequency in which we are now, you WILL see a drop off.

Replies: 7
| visibility 3,476
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic