Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Anybody know why the coaches
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,245

Anybody know why the coaches

Jan 28, 2019, 10:42 AM

didn't let DK10 return a kickoff? I know he only had 4 touches, but one was at the 10. He has always been wide open on returns so I'm sure it was by direct order. Just wondering.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Re: Anybody know why the coaches

Jan 28, 2019, 10:46 AM

They didn't want to shorten the field to much and hurt TL's chances for long passes for TD's! They have the ESp(n) so they knew the outcome before the play!

No really I wondered the same thing. A couple of times he had room to run.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 10:51 AM

Wondered the same thing but figured it probably had to do with the close call on the near disastrous fumble he had against ND in the Cotton Bowl. No need to give Alabama any unnecessary momentum when you have confidence in TL and our offense from 75 yards out.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

Jan 28, 2019, 10:54 AM

Wasn't he the one that had the near fumble on the kick in the Notre Dame that could have been a huge momentum swing in that game?

My guess is that the coaches, in the national championship game against Alabama, didn't want to risk a game-changing special teams play that went against us (like a fumble) that could give Alabama a swing in momentum. After all, DK is a freshman and some freshmen make mistakes at really inopportune times!

Go Tigers!

MT

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 28, 2019, 10:54 AM

They knew Bama could not beat us without turnovers or bad field position. Much less risky to take the fair catch and start on the 25. I would say it worked pretty well

Simply didn't want a repeat of the ND fiasco . . .

Jan 28, 2019, 11:00 AM

that we fortunately received a favorable call.

Yes, I think it was precautionary by design. It showed how much confidence our coaches had in our Offense's ability to move the ball against the "yellow hammers".

(It also showed, to a degree, their concern with DK's ball security and with BAMA's ability to rip the ball out. We eliminated the chance for a fluke fumble to give up a shortened field!)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Simply didn't want a repeat of the ND fiasco . . .

Jan 28, 2019, 11:06 AM

I agree Skeeta.... Seems that most returns - not ours but in general - ended up failing to reach the 25....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Jan 28, 2019, 11:01 AM

Bama's kick coverage this year was exceptional. They held Oklahoma inside the 15 or 20 on several attempts.

I also believe that our offensive staff was so confident in our gameplan that they did not want to take an extra risk for a negative play.

Jan 28, 2019, 11:27 AM

I'm really surprised that with the new rule more teams didn't coach fair catching KOs inside the 10 yard line this year, but most ran back the short kicks. Being certain of starting at the 25 is pretty sound football.

Jan 28, 2019, 11:20 AM

Loved the decision. We should have done this all year. We usually did worse returning than fair catchimg.

Jan 28, 2019, 11:47 AM

Agreed. The fair catch rule turned out to be a blessing. Last year, just about every Clemson kickoff return against 'Bama was a disaster, giving the Tigers terrible field position.

Alabama targets (and often gets away with it) the returner.

Jan 28, 2019, 11:54 AM

Coaches didn't want a fumble or to start in poor field position.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,245
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic