Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Coach Salary Comparison
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Coach Salary Comparison

Oct 23, 2014, 9:06 AM

Someone posted this link yesterday that calculates a "$ per win" to see which schools are getting the most bang for their buck, purely in terms of "Wins".

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/6/30/5857786/2013-college-football-coaches-salaries-wins

I combined these and sorted by "$ per win". Dabo was 16th -- which isn't bad -- but Michigan State, Oregon, and Duke finished top 5 in this study.

I'd be curious to see if there is a similar chart for Offensive Coordinators...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

oh boy

Oct 23, 2014, 9:13 AM

sunshine folks is gonna misinterpret this as bashing the program, and they not gonna has the happy with you, bob.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

where's the list that shows how close

Oct 23, 2014, 9:29 AM

we are to closing the gap with SCU and FSwho?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

frankly i don't see what you doods are all upset about.

Oct 23, 2014, 9:32 AM

do i need to post that list proving we convert a lot of third downs?

would that make you feel better?

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Re: Coach Salary Comparison

Oct 23, 2014, 10:17 AM

I read somewhere (sorry, no link) that Jimbo makes over 4 million. Was this old data?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hopefully this is accurate

Oct 23, 2014, 10:44 AM

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/1/5/5276842/jimbo-fisher-contract-salary-buyout

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So to keep the same $/win ratio, we gots to win 15 games...

Oct 23, 2014, 10:18 AM

If we win out (11-2 record), his rate this year would be $318,181.

His current cost per win over his whole career is (not including 2008 or incentives): $126,915

2016-2021 - $3.45M (3.5 if won ACCCG in 2014)
2015 - $3.30M (3.5 if won ACCCG in 2014)
2014 - $3.15M
2013 - $1.965M
2012 - $1M
2011 - $1M
2010 - $1M
2009 - $1M

Wins each year:
2013 - 11
2012 - 11
2011 - 10
2010 - 6
2009 - 9

Links:
2014 extension:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2014/01/18/dabo-swinney-clemson-eight-year-contract/4634949/

2012 extension:
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8022466/acc-title-brings-clemson-tigers-coach-dabo-swinney-3-year-extension

Original Contract:
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20081211/NEWS/812110265

so you would rather

Oct 23, 2014, 10:41 AM

Get a coach for 750,000 a year, only win 6 or so games a year and say we got a bargain?

This chart is a little misleading.

would you be in favor of re-working contracts to be based on

Oct 23, 2014, 10:48 AM

"big wins"...

What if we made Dabo's contract where he got 1/4 of his salary if he beat FSU, and 1/4 if he beat UCS?

IMO, that would equal the importance of those two games, or at least come close. And don't give me the "other games matter too" nonsense. Yes they do, but he has proven he's over that hurdle.

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: would you be in favor of re-working contracts to be based on

Oct 23, 2014, 10:54 AM

Thank God you're a nobody that has zero say in our program.

Oct 23, 2014, 10:55 AM

Maybe you can teach him about "revenue streams" using the tone of a college sophomore and he'll be somebody.

Oct 23, 2014, 10:59 AM

No...he'll be a nobody forever. His feelings are hurt because he can't stand up to gamecock fans. It's sad. But he has you to come to his rescue. Bless your hearts.

Oct 23, 2014, 11:00 AM

It's almost like you're a douchebag and I'm responding because of that and not because york is a regular here.

Mind=blown

Re: would you be in favor of re-working contracts to be based on***

Oct 23, 2014, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: would you be in favor of re-working contracts to be based on ]

he's also like

Re: would you be in favor of re-working contracts to be based on***

Oct 23, 2014, 11:01 AM

Did they renew that for another season? I hope so

wanna provide an answer, either way... rather than

Oct 23, 2014, 10:55 AM [ in reply to Re: would you be in favor of re-working contracts to be based on ]

whining and attacking?

that's all you do... every post

Re: wanna provide an answer, either way... rather than

Oct 23, 2014, 10:57 AM

He's all like

Then he's all like:

You didn't know?

Oct 23, 2014, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Re: would you be in favor of re-working contracts to be based on ]

York Tiger is actually Brad Scott. So take it back, loser.

Would you like to provide some actual insight

Oct 23, 2014, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: would you be in favor of re-working contracts to be based on ]

instead of attacking people constantly?

No way you're a Clemson person. Go back to the coot boreds.

While I wouldn't completely be opposed to the idea

Oct 23, 2014, 10:59 AM [ in reply to would you be in favor of re-working contracts to be based on ]

Do we not already have incentives in his contract for winning a certain number of games, etc?

Perhaps you could enlighten me. I'm honestly not sure of the details.

i don't know... but i don't think it's accurate to call

Oct 23, 2014, 11:02 AM

that chart misleading...

you make this much per year... that means each games is worth x amount...

It may be misleading in the way you didn't intend... meaning he's getting a lot of money for beating teams that we should beat... but getting the same for not performing in the FSU and UCS series...

that's all i'm sayin

Ah, should've assumed it was an attempt to undermine

Oct 23, 2014, 11:11 AM

My post.

I thought we were about to engage in discussion.

It is a good indicator for many programs, but when you consider it is based on wins per salary it is inevitably going to be skewed by coaches who many not necessarily be successful in the idea of winning a majority of games.

I'm not undermining you post at all..

Oct 23, 2014, 11:16 AM

i think it's innaccurate to call it "misleading"... by your logic, you were undermining the OP. I am just pointing out that it's not "misleading" when you break it down on a game by game basis.

Obviously, there are other factors involved in salary, though.

No not at all. And I'm not saying this chart is the

Oct 23, 2014, 11:12 AM [ in reply to so you would rather ]

be-all and end-all. But it's certainly something to consider in determining our return on investment.

Re: No not at all. And I'm not saying this chart is the

Oct 23, 2014, 11:15 AM

Also be interested in seeing those per win averages alongside total FB/AD revenue so that there's a baseline. Texas, for example, can probably afford to pay more per win than we can.

That's to say, I think we would have a relatively high ratio of our expenditures going towards "coaching" or "coaching wins"...but I haven't run the numbers.

I agree with that

Oct 23, 2014, 11:19 AM [ in reply to No not at all. And I'm not saying this chart is the ]

While clearly Michigan State and Oregon are getting good deals, it is difficult for me to say the same with Rutgers, etc.

If I'm not mistaken Dabo started with a good bit less per year before he started wining a bunch of games. His previous salaries should count for something given the incentives he met to make more money in the first place.

i don't think the best indicator is Dabo's salary... it's

Oct 23, 2014, 11:21 AM

the staff combined

which ultimately goes back to him, tho

Good point and I wood like to see that analsis

Oct 23, 2014, 11:24 AM

Can you have it on my desk by 8 AM Monday?

Re: Good point and I wood like to see that analsis***

Oct 23, 2014, 11:26 AM

yes boss***

Oct 23, 2014, 11:30 AM [ in reply to Good point and I wood like to see that analsis ]

Plus it seems that

Oct 23, 2014, 11:26 AM [ in reply to i don't think the best indicator is Dabo's salary... it's ]

A whole bunch of these figures are outdated or simply not right.

Good point. As with anything else, sample size is important here. Would be good to know all of these coaches wins per salary over their entire career.

As I said, this chart is an indicator but really does not begin to tell the whole story.

i still hold my position that a top 5 paid coaching staff

Oct 23, 2014, 11:27 AM

should be better than 3-10 against its instate rival and biggest conference rival.

Undoubtedly so, but

Oct 23, 2014, 11:44 AM

I was trying to discuss these statistics objective of who the wins were over. But yes, strength of schedule and the like is yet another factor that should be considered outside of this chart when determining the success of a coach and program. Again, Rutgers would not have a ton to hold their hat on in this respect, either.

Where are you getting the information that we are a top 5 paid coaching staff this year? I'm pretty sure that's not correct. If so, consider me unpleasantly surprised.

I think you should look at other critical factors:

Oct 23, 2014, 11:26 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ this may be underrated***

Oct 23, 2014, 11:28 AM

RA'd for personal attack***

Oct 23, 2014, 11:29 AM [ in reply to I think you should look at other critical factors: ]

hey, bob, let's not get hasty...

Oct 23, 2014, 11:31 AM

maybe he has the confuse and thought we was dusting ceiling fans in here or somethin'

I'm apologize!

Oct 23, 2014, 11:32 AM [ in reply to RA'd for personal attack*** ]

I woke up late with a head full of dreams of my ex, open my laptop to see what's happening in the real world and find you still complaining about Dabo's salary. I severely over reacted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Honestly, not complaining about Dabo's salary. And I feel

Oct 23, 2014, 11:51 AM

like Venables is worth every dime. However, there are certain other coaches (who shall remain nameless) that appear to be overpaid based on the results we're seeing on the field.

"Salary Comparison" is a funny name ...

Oct 23, 2014, 12:10 PM

... where does he coach?

Re: "Salary Comparison" is a funny name ...

Oct 23, 2014, 12:13 PM

Don't point out the shoddy spreadsheet work. Poor fella doesn't know better.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic