Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A PSA to the younger tiger fans out there
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

A PSA to the younger tiger fans out there

Sep 19, 2017, 12:26 PM

Not meant to be a "get off my lawn" post, but just want to make sure that younger fans don't take for granted the success that this program is having right now. It hasn't always been this way, and I hope it last for many, many years. But let's not be Alabama. There were days not that long ago where a Battle for the Leather Helmet decided whether or not we were bowl eligible. Waking up and watching the talking heads argue over whether we should be #1 or #2 should never get old. It is truly a great day to be a tiger. Beat BC!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, and days where BC with Matty Ice broke our hearts

Sep 19, 2017, 12:29 PM

And who can forget blowing up fax machines begging for an invite to a bowl game in Idaho?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

BC had some a-hole LB who played RB on the goal line

Sep 19, 2017, 12:33 PM

and he ran it in to win in DV and it was the 2nd most pissed off I've been at a game. The worst was that punt debacle against... GT? Wake? You know what I'm talking about.

Re: BC had some a-hole LB who played RB on the goal line

Sep 19, 2017, 1:56 PM

GT 2004. Beat wake earlier that year in OT. Rough year

And even the days where BC with Flutie broke our hearts

Sep 19, 2017, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Yep, and days where BC with Matty Ice broke our hearts ]

We were pretty good back then too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Or needing a miracle play from big Gaines just to beat Wake***

Sep 19, 2017, 12:46 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Or hanging on every Refs non-call vs GT.***

Sep 19, 2017, 12:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or phantom holding calls in back to back years***

Sep 19, 2017, 3:02 PM

I remember both of those events well.

Sep 19, 2017, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Yep, and days where BC with Matty Ice broke our hearts ]

http://assets.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls01/humanitarian.html

Nothing worth posting about the 2007 BC game. Ugh.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Yeah, plus the days of going to every Clemson/FSU game

Sep 19, 2017, 12:49 PM

knowing that if we're lucky we'll only lose by 20 or 30 points.

I have a piece of the goal post from when we beat them

Sep 19, 2017, 1:02 PM

in 2003 I think it was. What a great game. Night game in the Valley. I was on the hill. I think I was late to class Monday because I was STILL hung over.

I will never forget BC 2007

Sep 19, 2017, 2:34 PM [ in reply to I remember both of those events well. ]

I never liked Aaron Kelly before that game but after that game I cringe at the mention of his name. I thought he couldn't catch with his hands and that he was the slowest WR I had ever seen but a lot of people thought he was great. That ball going through his arms was a dagger in the hearts of Tiger fans everywhere.

Re: Yep, and days where BC with Matty Ice broke our hearts

Sep 19, 2017, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Yep, and days where BC with Matty Ice broke our hearts ]

struggling against WF. Losing to Maryland. TB years were rough

Humiliation Bowl in the snow, on blue turf no less!***

Sep 19, 2017, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Yep, and days where BC with Matty Ice broke our hearts ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

So true. If you've known the pain of the immediate post-Danny years.

Sep 19, 2017, 12:29 PM

You know to never take it for granted.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^Fact***

Sep 19, 2017, 12:35 PM

Re: So true. If you've known the pain of the immediate post-Danny years.

Sep 19, 2017, 12:47 PM [ in reply to So true. If you've known the pain of the immediate post-Danny years. ]

As a tiger since 1986 I can tell you that is the truth. I had to wait twenty years tosee us get back to being a top program and couldn't figure out why we could never get back to those days in the 80s. We are a big fish in a small pond in the ACC. There were no excuses for mediocrity at Clemson but it taught me humility as a fan. Nothing in sports lasts forever. I'm soaking up every moment as a fan. Thank you Dabo for bringing Clemson football back and even surpassing my expectations!

Message was edited by: CootSmackdown16

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can only imagine the pain of finding out Danny Ford had

Sep 19, 2017, 12:52 PM [ in reply to So true. If you've known the pain of the immediate post-Danny years. ]

been fired.

You would have been holding a candle in Max Lennon's

Sep 19, 2017, 12:55 PM

front yard just like the rest of us.

What do you mean by "younger" fans?

Sep 19, 2017, 12:32 PM

Some of you old folks believe 20 year old ##### are children. So I'm not sure what you mean.

Re: What do you mean by "younger" fans?

Sep 19, 2017, 12:46 PM

haha! Anyone who couldn't break the first thing they could find when Aaron Kelly dropped that ball at the goal line in '08. I loved that TV...

Re: What do you mean by "younger" fans?

Sep 19, 2017, 1:54 PM

2007!

I loved my wife's neck too but...

Sep 19, 2017, 3:12 PM [ in reply to Re: What do you mean by "younger" fans? ]

oh well.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

20 Year old ##### are #####.

Sep 19, 2017, 3:11 PM [ in reply to What do you mean by "younger" fans? ]

The are also children.

How do you view 20 year old females?    [Results]

Children
I'm a dirty old pervert.
2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

22nd post in four years and spot on.***

Sep 19, 2017, 12:34 PM

Re: A PSA to the younger tiger fans out there

Sep 19, 2017, 12:45 PM

As a "75 grad, I wake every morning in thanksgiving. I remember the First, First Friday parade with new coach Red Parker. I think he followed Hottie Ingram as coach. There is a reason most of you young folks never heard of them.
I confess that in "81 I was hoping we would get lucky and do something special. In the years after, I felt you had to be very lucky to win a Natty.
The last couple years and especially this year, I am learning ITs NOT LUCK. Its great schemes on offense and defense, great talent, exceptional execution from practicing well, and a culture of believing(ie: passion).
In 42 years my grandkids and great grandkids will know exactly who Dabo Swinney was. Assuming he's not still coaching with a 45 year run of beat the Coots.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, nothing previously experienced compares to now.***

Sep 19, 2017, 12:49 PM

I believe it takes a little luck.

Sep 19, 2017, 12:53 PM [ in reply to Re: A PSA to the younger tiger fans out there ]

Had that NC State kicker kicked the ball straight on, Christian Wilkins would have blocked it. Luck.

Agreed. Thank you for a very insightful post***

Sep 19, 2017, 12:55 PM

Sep 19, 2017, 12:59 PM

I've been on-board since I started attending Clemson in 1995, which is alot shorter period than some of you, but still plenty long enough to know the lean and the volatile years.

There is no question that the feeling in Tampa Jan. 9 would not have been nearly as great if I had not gone through that long ride. I'm appreciating every minute of this.

Sep 19, 2017, 1:22 PM

I remember the Humanitarian Bowl fax campaign all too well. I still wish I'd gone to that game.

I was a student in the Hatfield/West years where Ford's name still echoed through the stadium quite loudly. Suffered 2 losing seasons in 4 years and that was very tough. For a while I was starting to think I'd never see another ACC title to match the first one I witnessed in person in 1991. What a difference the last several years have made.

Sep 19, 2017, 2:12 PM

I've been a fan of Clemson since about 1970, so I know pain. The 1981 National Championship felt great, but somehow now feels different. The success we are having now feels sustainable, and then it really did not, not to mention being put on probation the very next year. The way the Clemson football program is today seems more built for long term success like Alabama, Oklahoma, LSU, USC and seems to finally be a great program, not just a great team! Hope we never see the team return to mediocrity!

Absolutely. Anyone who cringes when they remember

Sep 19, 2017, 3:13 PM

"I'm Hootin' for Hootie!" should NEVER take this for granted. But, I have to admit, I used to get mad at Saint DanniFord's "3 yards and a Cloud of Dust" offense after awhile. Then, he was gone, and we literally wandered in the wasteland for almost 20 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic