Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler's Blog: Furman Review
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Mickey Plyler's Blog: Furman Review

Sep 17, 2012, 10:44 AM

Furman Review

Furman Review
At times Saturday afternoon was smooth and easy. At other times, Clemson's weaknesses were once again exposed.

I will remember Saturday for two positives reasons though. First was the return for

Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Furman Review

Sep 17, 2012, 10:49 AM

I pretty much agree with all that Plyler said about the defense. The simple fact is that we just don't have that much talent on defense. I'd like to see Steward play more, and I wonder whether Blanks could make a bigger impact at safety. If he played there he might be able to cover up the mistakes that others in the secondary make on a regular basis.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed Christian and Townsend can handle the SAM

Sep 17, 2012, 10:54 AM

but we REALLY need some help in the secondary and Blanks is going to be a future CB or Safety anyway so I'd put him back there.

Sep 17, 2012, 4:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Furman Review ]

Am i missing
something .. didn't Furman only score 7 points?
Everyone here seems to expect that we hold the opposition to less than 100 yards a game or it is a disasster..Yep there have been busted coverages and missed tackles. there have also been expectional pass break ups and great pursuit

the point is if you make those same mistakes against a

Sep 18, 2012, 9:01 AM

higher quality opponent they are going to beat you for bigger plays over and over. Furman didn't have the athletes to make those plays.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2012, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Mickey Plyler's Blog: Furman Review ]

I do agree with you that the sky may not be falling, but this is FSU and not FU or BS we are facing this week, and it is at their house. Huge difference, IMO. Can we win? Absolutely, but it will take a pretty flawless effort on our part, if they play as well as they have against the weak opponents they have played thus far. Now, the competition they have faced may have a lot to do with how they have looked, but our competition hasn't been top tier, either. Just sayin'.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2012, 11:32 AM

What happened to Cortez Davis? He was a 4 star and had a scholarship offer from Alabama but he appears to have disappeared. I remember reading about him when he was being recruited and I thought then that his high school stats didn't measure up to his 4 star rating. His senior year he only had something like 30 tackles and 3 PBU's and I don't think he had any interceptions. With only 85 scholarships, recruits like this definitely need to live up to their billing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

D may lack experience & development, but not depth of talent

Sep 17, 2012, 12:21 PM

Clemson's defense may be inexperienced at some positions, but the 2-deep consists of 3, 4, & 5 star recruits that most of our opponents could only dream about. Look at the following 2-deep star-rankings chart versus Auburn. Star rankings aren't perfect, but there's lots of talent there, and (from a star-rank perspective, FWIW) the D actually out-talents the O.
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/8/30/3275790/clemson-vs-auburn-2012-depth-chart-comparison

Sure, it's not Alabama;s roster, but it looks to me like Clemson's D is underperforming their talent level. I was hoping for better development under Venables.

When the offense was performing poorly under Spence and the defense was performing well under Koenning, didn't we hear every year that it's normal for the defense to be ahead of the offense in the early season? Sure, it's year 2 of the Morris offense and only year 1 of Venables, but the defense seems too underdeveloped for week 3.

The D had better get it together for FSU or it's gonna be another long night on national TV.

Re: D may lack experience & development, but not depth of talent

Sep 17, 2012, 12:33 PM

i think we need to give Venables some time...3 games is a little early for the panic button. Issues like we're experiencing are not a result of anything he's done, but a product of the personnel he inherited. Coaches like Venables will continue to preach the message, but at the end of the day, players have to make plays- and if they don't, you'll see plenty of freshman in our D next season...

Under Spence we often heard "players need to make the plays"

Sep 17, 2012, 1:36 PM

For years under Spence's & Napier's disappointing offenses, I frequently heard the excuse that it wasn't the coaches' fault and that the players have to make the plays. Then Morris arrived and I haven't heard that excuse since. I think it's safe to say that Morris is a better OC, with better schemes, accountability, and player development than Spence & Napier (neither of whom are working as OCs).

Maybe Venables just isn't top-tier like Morris. I don't know. We'll see.

In a lot of ways playing offense is easier. The O knows

Sep 18, 2012, 11:42 AM

exactly where the ball is supposed to be going.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

But when Spence was OC, supposedly playing D was easier.

Sep 18, 2012, 11:53 AM

The excuse for Spence/Napier's poor performing offenses was that the offense had to learn so many plays and blocking schemes, whereas the defense just had to learn a few packages. Now that the defense is performing poorly, suddenly it's easier to learn to play offense. Nothing is ever the coaches' fault.

Yeah, and according to you our NFL receivers were poorly

Sep 18, 2012, 11:57 AM

coached too, huh? Guys like Marquan Jones and Bryce McNeal were all-star receivers who just needed better coaching, right? LOL.

So who are you looking to throw under the bus today?

As far as the secondary, the common denominator there is

Sep 18, 2012, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Under Spence we often heard "players need to make the plays" ]

Harbison.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BV is garbage

Sep 18, 2012, 12:38 PM [ in reply to Under Spence we often heard "players need to make the plays" ]

2008 - 68th ranked defense
2009 - 8th ranked (statistical anomaly)
2010 - 53rd ranked
2011 - 55th ranked.

And we hired this guy for $800,000 per year? Dumb move.

Re: Under Spence we often heard "players need to make the plays"

Sep 18, 2012, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Under Spence we often heard "players need to make the plays" ]

The jury still is out on Venables, but he didn't inherit much on his side of the ball, IMO. I am very disappointed in the tackling and the poor angles consistently being an issue. I was expecting problems on the DL, but I did think we would be better at LB and in the secondary than we have been. I hope we see some wrinkles, a bunch of wrinkles, this week that we have not seen yet, or this could get ugly quick. Thankfully we do have a pretty good offense, but the defense needs to get better quick.

I don't believe

Sep 17, 2012, 12:49 PM [ in reply to D may lack experience & development, but not depth of talent ]

star rankings at the high school level can be used as a way to determine talent level after the player is on campus. That's assigning a projected talent level as the actual, which is not the case in a lot of circumstances.

Star-rankings aren't perfect, but on avg. they're indicative

Sep 17, 2012, 2:50 PM

Many statistical analyses have been done showing that the star rankings (while not always perfect for an individual) are meaningful over larger groups. I have never seen an analysis showing otherwise.

http://www.athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-stars

Unfortunately, I think the charts are no longer available at the following links.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-Recruiting-gurus-All-American-track?urn=ncaaf-311830

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-Recruiting-gurus-track-record-at-th?urn=ncaaf-312394

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-Judging-the-recruiting-rankings-gam?urn=ncaaf-312875

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-The-nation-s-most-overachieving-team?urn=ncaaf-313921

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Star-Power-The-nation-s-most-underachieving-tea?urn=ncaaf-314624

On an individual basis, the star rankings are wrong FAR MORE

Sep 18, 2012, 12:02 PM

than they're right.

Stars are fun and all leading up to NSD,

Sep 17, 2012, 2:09 PM [ in reply to D may lack experience & development, but not depth of talent ]

but once they are on campus we need to see the production associated with the stars, and that so far we haven't.

Not to mention a good deal of the time they are wrong.

Gaines Adams (R.I.P.) was only a 2-star.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL

Sep 17, 2012, 7:26 PM

"Clemson lacks talent, experience and depth on defense but besides that they are OK"

Yeah, and I was gonna marry an international super model... only I'm fat, ugly, broke and never met her.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Boyd's pass % would be sick if the receivers hadn't dropped

Sep 18, 2012, 11:36 AM

so many........what I mean by dropped is good passes.....not just ones the receivers touched.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

At some point the position coaches have to

Sep 18, 2012, 12:35 PM

take the blame for the pisspoor play. Everybody says Harbison, Brooks, Hobby, and Venables are all the best of the best at their positions as coaches. Well then, we must have some of the worst players in the history of college football then. Because if we have the best coaches possible and the product on the field looks that bad, its all on the players at that point.

Re: At some point the position coaches have to

Sep 18, 2012, 12:43 PM

Our WR coach is great right? It's called talent

The defense has highly recruited players all over it

Sep 18, 2012, 12:48 PM

As Razzmatazz pointed out earlier, the defense his more talent than the offense does, based solely on recruiting rankings. They arent perfect but the fact remains we've got talent on defense. It's poor coaching.

Re: The defense has highly recruited players all over it

Sep 18, 2012, 1:29 PM

I guess you would know

sheesh, a giant missing comma in sentence 1.

Sep 18, 2012, 12:39 PM

PUNK-SHOO-A-SHUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's the numbers, you judge for yourself

Sep 18, 2012, 12:51 PM

Mike Stoops was at OU from 99-03
OU defense ranks total defense

1999 - 39th
2000 - 8th
2001 - 4th
2002 - 10th
2003 - 3rd

Stoops leaves after 2003 season, still lots of players in the system

2004 - 13th
2005 - 13th
2006 - 16th
2007 - 26th

By this point there's no connection whatsoever to Stoops

2008 - 68th
2009 - 8th (how the heck did this happen? Luck?)
2010 - 53rd
2011 - 55th

After looking at those last four numbers you can understand why everybody associated with OU football was ready for Venables to get the heck out of town. And here comes Dumbo, oops Dabo, to bail them out!!!

Re: Here's the numbers, you judge for yourself

Sep 18, 2012, 1:35 PM

Crump BAN this COOT

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic