Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What happens with the QB sit next year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

What happens with the QB sit next year?

Nov 17, 2013, 2:55 PM

Im not one who likes to look forward but for fun lets dive in a lil bit.

If you were Dabo, do you start the consistent Backup SR. Stoudt?

The potentially great dual threat Jr. with some shared experience?

or the FUTURE QB True-Freshman freak athlete 5 star prospect that if started by first game of the season could leave a legacy that rivals Boyds? May loose a few games and become steadily better or he may have the same production as J Winston as a Freshman.

Go!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I talked to tajh's dad a couple of weeks ago

Nov 17, 2013, 2:58 PM

and the conversation turned to Watson. He said tajh told him that he thought Watson would break all the records that tajh has and more.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting. I got to talk to Dabo last year in fall camp

Nov 17, 2013, 3:09 PM

He said the same thing about Kelly (pre-injury). That that kid (Kelly) will shine as bright as Boyd and he said it with a very excited grin and laugh. Watson was still a JR at the time and i asked about him and dabo briefly said he could start as a JR in high school for alot of college teams. He will be a national championship caliber QB for us one day but when? All we can do is wait and see when he gets here.

Re: What did you expect him to say. The man was just being

Nov 17, 2013, 3:37 PM

modest.

Maybe top 10 most popular topic here. My opinion -

Nov 17, 2013, 2:59 PM

Watson most likely RS next year. Give him a chance to beef up, strengthen up, and learn the next level of the game. Stoudt's position to loose. You can see he is trying harder to be a runner and he's said as much in interviews, knowing it's a weakness. Still looks like a bag of bones in motion to me, though. Like he could be snapped by a strong tackle.

Some think we could have a SCar like situation next year with 2 QBs, with Kelly better suited for option plays. Problem is, when you sub, everyone knows what's up.

Stoudt's throwing precision rivals Boyd's. So, like I say, it's his to lose if he can't step up another notch and become mobile when needed.

Agreed. But Id take a too small watson over a bag of bones***

Nov 17, 2013, 3:03 PM

Id start Kelly, Redshirt Watson

Nov 17, 2013, 3:01 PM

Kelly brings everything as a dual threat QB. He has everything: size, arm strength, speed, experience, time in the system. I think he starts. His biggest downside is injury to his ACL. But Boyd overcame that same injury with re-injury to that knee so maybe Kelly can do the same.

Stoudt doesnt fit in the system dual threat wise. Although he had a surprsingly nice run against GT. Very surprised with that. that was great to see but can he do that consistently like Chad Morris depends of the QB? Prob not.

Only way i see Watson starting is he comes out in the fall tied for the starting position. I know Dabo likes to use the "OR" on the depth chart. If its one of those cases for the starting Qb position, I would give it to the freak athlete everyone has been waiting to see and let the Future QB for Clemson start right away.

Kelly is still too kid-like. Watch him in any of this years

Nov 17, 2013, 3:04 PM

games and you see a guy who hardly hesitates and often stumbles over his own feet when he runs. Like he's got way too much adrenaline pumping and can't calm himself down. It's probably a natural thing for someone his age, but he certainly needs to mature. By comparison Stoudt is more like ...... well, Matty Ice. Coley Ice? Doesn't quite ring true.....

Even Morris has compared Kelly to a "goose" in the way he reacts. Still young.

Ice Cole

You're welcome.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

except for 1 intangible. will tyshon dye be the big back

Nov 17, 2013, 3:22 PM [ in reply to Id start Kelly, Redshirt Watson ]

that morris has craved to lessen the need for a running qb, or at least one that can avg. more than 2.5 ypc, which both boyd has done, and i think stoudt, will do.

Message was edited by: sgt tiger®

Re: What happens with the QB sit next year?

Nov 17, 2013, 3:06 PM

Stoudt with short rope. Kelly plays in special situations. Watson redshirts unless he a world beater and can grasp the offense total.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 17, 2013, 3:07 PM

After seeing how Stoudt has played in the limited amount of time he's had this year, I find it very hard to believe that he won't get the starting job next year. DW will redshirt and he'll no doubt win the job in 2015.

I think Stout... I think you will see much better QB play out of him next year... For the 1st time he has the chance to start.... If he can add 15-20Lbs in the off season he will be 6'5" 225-230 and he can run the zone read...

The coaches will start whoever they feel gives us the best chance to win... Clemson will have a very good defense next year, a great kicking game, and a power back in Dye 6'1" 230Lbs that will make our OL look much better..... I know most of you blame the short yardage on the OL but we only have one back over 205LBS and he our QB and the only that moves the pile on short yardage......... Clemson will run the ball and throw to our big receivers next year. We will start a 6'5", 6'3", and 6'3" WR next year and a 6'61/2" TE....

Stoudt has been here for how many years? no way he pick up

Nov 17, 2013, 3:16 PM

10 lbs in one year let alone 20-30...

Picking up the weight isn't the challenge. Staying nimble

Nov 17, 2013, 3:23 PM

and fit is the challenge. It can be done. Although I still say he looks like a stick figure running, so his frame may not be well suited for much extra heft/muscle.

Stoudt no doubt

Nov 17, 2013, 3:11 PM

Stoudt is too good to never be the starter. I expect him to play his way into the draft next year. I say Stoudt is the starter, With a Tebow like role for Kelly. It'll be the "Swagg Pack"

So everyone pretty much agrees Stoudt gets it. In that case:

Nov 17, 2013, 3:14 PM

Does Kelly transfer knowing that Watson will most likely get it in 2015? I love Kelly but I think that would be better for the team as a whole. I would rather see Stoudt as starter with Watson the clear backup this year knowing the job is his 2015 and on. Watson would be a good insurance policy is anything ever happened to Stoudt, injury or just cant perform. He would get some great experience in mop up duty in late games and situational series'.

Kelly could still be a halfback/fullback and get playing

Nov 17, 2013, 3:34 PM

time at both positions. It would be a big plus to have someone who could be a "dual threat" behind the QB by still making a toss from time to time. Morris likes cute plays like that it seems.

It depends who wins the job in practice.***

Nov 17, 2013, 3:18 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Manziel and Jameis both red-shirted

Nov 17, 2013, 3:18 PM

So will Watson. Case closed. Only avoid redshirt due to injuries.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another thought - we'll get a good look at both QBs

Nov 17, 2013, 3:20 PM

next Saturday more than likely. Stoudt has had about 100 snaps this season and Kelly only about 50. More than likely they will each get a bunch against the Citadel and it will be a chance to see them play for a long time, snap after snap, and compare.

Nov 21, 2021, 4:50 PM

Another thing Cole has shown this year, even in a backup role, is his leadership. I think that's a very underrated trait when it comes to the QB position.

Stoudt has come so far that I really think it will be

Nov 17, 2013, 3:31 PM

hard to beat him out. He throws as catchable a ball as ANY QB in the country. His accuracy is second to none on the team he has computer game accuracy. He is the son of a NFL QB and growing up in that environment is a huge advantage. I know Swag's uncle Jim is also a great NFL QB, but it is different. Swag has great vision and feel for running the ball and has to improve his reads and speed which he processes that info. I have watched a lot of film on Watson and he is very very good. Watson is the best of Stoudt and Swag in a package. It will come down to who wants it the most in August and who can separate from the pack with consistent performances in practice. I think they are all great and could start at any SEC school next year. Clemson is turning out to be QB U and Receiver U. The future is very bright for whomever we start.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Start whoever earns it in Spring Ball and preseason camp.***

Nov 17, 2013, 3:33 PM

Nov 17, 2013, 3:40 PM

Barring injuries,i think Watson will redshirt-true fresman QBs usually only start when there are no better options and we have 2 terrific options in Cole and Chad-i just hope Chad Morris is still here!

Stoudt starts, Kelly gets a lot of PT, Watson redshirts.

Nov 17, 2013, 3:44 PM

No big mystery or controversy - pretty obvious as I see it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Batman will start. Period.***

Nov 17, 2013, 3:45 PM

I think it will be an intense battle.

Nov 17, 2013, 3:54 PM

I expect Stoudt to ultimately win the starting job, but Kelly would give us a good chance to win games too. I think a lot of it will depend on how well our OL and RBs play. If we can consistently run, it lessens the need to use our QB as a runner and Stoudt benefits due to his accurate passing. I like the fact that Stoudt can run if asked to. We know Kelly can run too, and is a legitimate threat to do so.

I know some want Watson to start next year, but that would mean that either he is that amazing, or Stoudt and Kelly aren't that good. We all know that Watson has tons of potential, but it's not like he's the first highly recruited QB to be at Clemson recently. Kyle Parker, Tajh Boyd, and Chad Kelly were all Elite 11 QBs with a lot of fanfare coming in. I expect Watson to ultimately be a great QB for us, but those of you who are assuming he will easily beat out Chad Kelly in 2015 are assuming a lot. Kelly is really good, and Watson could certainly lose that battle.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic