Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Need some camping advice Tiger Fans
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 2,543

Need some camping advice Tiger Fans

Jul 14, 2017, 8:34 AM

So long story short, the wife & I are adopting a young lad, age 12. Before school starts, I want to get him going in the right direction, and bring him to see the campus, stadium, etc. As he loves to fish and would be super into camping, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions/ recommendations of nearby campgrounds. I see online there is a KOA, as well as Oconee point, but as I'm about 5 hours away I was hoping someone may have a few tips. Thanks, and Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Need some camping advice Tiger Fans

Jul 14, 2017, 8:36 AM

Twin lakes is cool.... and if you get the right site you can see Death Valley across the lake

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keowee Toxaway State Campground

Jul 14, 2017, 8:37 AM

is about 30 from the stadium. We have stayed there many times for games. Getting to and from parking areas is really easy as there is little traffic coming from that direction.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Keowee Toxaway State Campground

Jul 14, 2017, 9:58 AM

Stayed at Keo-Tox last fall before the Syracuse game and it was fantastic . Nice trails , quiet and beautiful . Shower amenities and the regular campsite stuff .
Absolutely would stay there again ...and had no traffic until hitting Clemson .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Check out any of the state parks in the mountain areas

Jul 14, 2017, 8:37 AM

around Clemson/Greenville area. Have family who go there all the time and love it.

Jul 14, 2017, 8:47 AM

Springfield in Anderson is nice, as well as Twin Lakes. Stayed at both several times.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lake Joccassee is awesome

Jul 14, 2017, 9:00 AM

One of the most pristine settings I've seen ... be a great place to camp.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oconee state park.

Jul 14, 2017, 9:01 AM

Has the quintessential "summer camp lake" with old cabins and also area for tent camping. Plenty for kids to do here. Fish, boat, hike to waterfalls, putt-putt, and ping pong. approx. 35-40 minutes from campus.

Re: Oconee state park.

Jul 14, 2017, 9:03 AM

We had to be typing at the same time

Agree with Oconee State Park

Jul 14, 2017, 9:51 AM [ in reply to Oconee state park. ]

A little farther but close to mountains. Plus a trip to Whitewater Falls would thrill one of any age.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

+1 Oconee state park.***

Jul 14, 2017, 1:38 PM [ in reply to Oconee state park. ]

Jul 14, 2017, 9:03 AM

Depends on if you are tent camping or camper. I'd go to Oconee state park if I was tent camping. They have a lake for fishing and trout can be caught relatively easily center of the ### in the deeper cooler water. The drive is nice, stumphouse tunnel is nearby, fish hatchery, chatooga river rafting, ice cream and restaurants in cashiers......, and it's quite a bit cooler up there. If you are camper campers, then you will have AC. There's a BIG difference in the crowd that uses Oconee as opposed to the campgrounds closer to Greenville.?? It's not a terrible drive up to the parkway, whitewater falls, badcreek hiking etc.

Good luck

Jul 14, 2017, 9:05 AM

Yeah, I should have clarified that, tent camping all the way for me. And that is only because the wife would insist on having walls and a roof of some sort! :)

Jul 14, 2017, 9:06 AM

To clarify, I mean tent camping.

Jul 14, 2017, 9:07 AM

I found the staff in the KOA public restroom to be one of the best

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is this a sex thing?***

Jul 14, 2017, 9:08 AM

Snowflake Basher........Out

A few recommendations...

Jul 14, 2017, 9:45 AM

1. Table Rock State park, Jones Gap State Park, Devils Fork State Park or Keowee Toxaway State Park.

2. Buy a couple of ENO's. They beat the hound out of tent camping.

3. Get him involved in a strong Scouting program. He'll love it and so will you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jul 14, 2017, 9:49 AM

Of the ones I've visited, Twins Lakes would be my first choice - very nice cg and close to campus.
Springfield would be second - just as nice cg, but a little further away.

Jul 14, 2017, 9:54 AM

If tent camping, I would look at Devils Fork State Park. This will get you a little higher in elevation for a cooler climate - especially at night. There's Oconee State Park also.

Try primitive right there on campus

Jul 14, 2017, 9:53 AM

Tell anybody that asks, that its part of a graduate study on environmental conservation. Can use the restrooms in the class buildings. Then you're in walking distance of everything. Great memories.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I used to be a wilderness guide up in Oconee county.

Jul 14, 2017, 10:00 AM

I also taught backpacking and wilderness survival at Clemson.

Anywhere up Highway 28 is ideal. Tons of free campsites with very few crowds.

By far, the best campsite in the area, is Low Water Bridge Road. It is on Highway 28 right at the SC/GA state line, a mile or two north of Mountain Rest, SC. It is a drive in, semi primitive campsite. It has bear proof trash cans, and outhouses. It is also on the bank of one of the widest portions of the Chattooga River and the Chattooga River Trail, which runs from the NC/SC border all the way down to the coast, runs through the Low Water Campsite. There is also an old cemetary nearby, and dozens of other trails that intersect this campsite. You can also fish the Chattooga here, and you can catch many species from 3 different types of trout (Rainbow, Brown, and Brook), to smallmouth, and crappie depending on the season. There is a country store nearby in Mountain Rest that sells firewood and supplies (roughly $40 or an F-150 sized truckload of firewood). August after a rainstorm is one of the best times to fish for trout. The limit is 5 per day and campfire roasted trout is some of the best eating you'll ever experience.

The Wallhalla fish hatchery is also a 20 minute drive away, and there are dozens of large waterfalls within a 5-10 mile radius of this campsite as well as numerous nature preserves open to hiking.

congrats***

Jul 14, 2017, 12:34 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Replies: 21
| visibility 2,543
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic