Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: ESPN and ACC Extend Exclusive, Multi-Platform Agreement through 2026-27
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Football Update: ESPN and ACC Extend Exclusive, Multi-Platform Agreement through 2026-27

May 9, 2012, 3:16 PM

ESPN and ACC Extend Exclusive, Multi-Platform Agreement through 2026-27

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: ESPN and ACC Extend Exclusive, Multi-Platform Agreement through 2026-27

May 9, 2012, 3:56 PM

Its all in the first sentence. More Basketball.
I am all about Basketball... but its not the money maker.

Friday night football? We are now on par with Conf USA

May 9, 2012, 4:08 PM

and the WAC. Oh dear, Lord.

Agree. This is third rate stuff. Clemson needs to be in a top

May 9, 2012, 4:11 PM

quality sports conference--not a Friday night WAC one.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just sent this email to TDP

May 9, 2012, 4:34 PM

Mr. Phillips,

I was just reading over the ACC/ESPN TV deal and reading reports and speculation about the upcoming reworked SEC TV deal. If the ACC deal is worth $17M per team and the SEC's is already at/above $20M per team, and expected to rise, how can the ACC and its member institutions expect to compete on an even level with SEC teams?

Professional football has revenue sharing b/c the product is the NFL, not individual teams nor conferences nor divisions. The same holds true for the NBA and the NHL. The reasons for the leagues being the product vs individual teams is b/c of the need to maintain a competitive environment for all teams. Once the competition for these leagues has any imbalance, the product suffers and the money will disappear.

With this being said, how can the ACC or any Athletic Director of an ACC member institution allow such an environment? Why is nothing being done at the NCAA level to address this issue? As it stands right now, there might as well be the SEC in one league wiht all other teams in a lesser league b/c that's exactly what the current lay of the land will lead to.

I am not suggesting that Clemson join the SEC or the Big12, or any other conference for that matter. I am simply suggesting that someone take this issue to the NCAA and alert tham that they are ruining the product, college football. ESPN can NOT be allowed to direct how college football is managed. College football is being ruined b/c of this and one has to look no further than last year's selection of Bama vs. LSU for the National Championship to see where this is headed.

Someone must have the guts to take this issue to the NCAA and put an end to it or you might as well put an end to Clemson's hopes of ever being a competitive college football program.

Please, do what's right for Clemson and what's ultimately right for college football and do not just stand by and let this happen.

Thank you,

This was already determined by the US Supreme Court in 1984.

May 9, 2012, 5:18 PM

It's free market capatalism.

No...its not free market.

May 9, 2012, 5:23 PM

ESPN has a virtual lock on sports programming. The other networks do not approach them in spending.
ESecPN can starve or feed who they wish.

Oh... and kindly learn how to spell CAPITALISM. If you are going to employ the concept in an argument... at least spell it right. And by the way, you mispelled it in your other thread post too.

WRONG.... It IS a Free Market.

May 9, 2012, 9:46 PM

So I misspelled a word? Well EXCUSE me. You are all class.

ESPN is part of the Disney-ABC family. Other networks out there include NBC, CBS and Fox. There is not just ONE. There is no constitutional right to equality in spending money. You either choose to spend it or you don't. However, ALL the networks participate in televising college athletics. There is no monopoly. And by the way, PRIOR to even this new ACC TV deal, ESPN paid the ACC MORE than it paid the SEC. The reason for the differential in TV revenues favoring the SEC is because the SEC also has a deal with CBS. Do your homework before you post next time.

psst...

May 10, 2012, 1:29 PM

see below.
______
Tomcatgre

Devotee [348]
TigerPulse: 96%

Followers: 0
Greenville, SC
No...its not free market.
Posted: May 9, 2012 5:23 PM Reply

ESPN has a virtual lock on sports programming. The other networks do not approach them in spending.
ESecPN can starve or feed who they wish.

Oh... and kindly learn how to spell CAPITALISM. If you are going to employ the concept in an argument... at least spell it right. And by the way, you mispelled it in your other thread post too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I"m not claiming that what they're doing is illegal.

May 9, 2012, 9:39 PM [ in reply to This was already determined by the US Supreme Court in 1984. ]

I'm claiming it's dumb and it will hurt college football.

I'm suggesting that if we don't force the NCAA to spread any/all TV contract money among all FBS teams, then we need to gtfo of the ACC and go where ever the most money is. Its apparent that the conferences/teams with money are succeeding. The others aren't.

How can you force the NCAA to do something that they have no

May 9, 2012, 9:49 PM

legal jurisdiction over?

Re: Football Update: ESPN and ACC Extend Exclusive, Multi-Platform Agreement through 2026-27

May 9, 2012, 4:45 PM

In the early 1990s (I believe), the supreme court decided that the NCAA could not have a monopoly on how or who in its member institutions negotiated their own contracts.

Thus... a network (ESecPN) selected a product and promoted and subsidized it into prominence. End of story... end of truly level playing field in college sports.

Had Syracuse not defected the Big East... they might have opted for the BE rather than the ACC in hoops.

#### crying shame.

May 9, 2012, 9:12 PM

"...subsidized it into prominence..."

Nail. Head.

And it will ruin college football. How many of you were excited about the BCSC game this year? I agree something should be done, but it will ultimately have to be Congress - and regional interests there will probably keep that from happening. I really think ESPN will be the death of college football. Ironic that they will ruin their cash cow.

May 9, 2012, 4:49 PM

I looked the real stuff up:
The era ended June 27, 1984, when the U.S. Supreme Court, affirming lower-court decisions in an antitrust lawsuit filed almost three years earlier by the University of Oklahoma Board of Regents and the University of Georgia Athletic Board, effectively stripped the NCAA of authority over football TV contracts. The ruling allowed each school or conference to cut its own deal.

15 Years?

May 9, 2012, 6:49 PM

That may be one of the dumbest contracts ever signed by a conference.

If there is no clause associated with an inflation adjustment - someone at the ACC office needs to be fired IMMEDIATELY!

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

they totally missed the "friday" part of the agreement

May 9, 2012, 9:42 PM

so I doubt they'll think about inflation or the time value of money.

May 9, 2012, 7:14 PM

They are putting us on ESPN Deportes

Classic T-Net pro-administration PR. No mention of dollars!!

May 10, 2012, 1:07 PM

This T-Net article by the "Staff" (which usually seems to be code for a press release from the Clemson AD's PR department) doesn't even mention the dollar figure invovled with the contract. Every other article that I've read about this, mentions the dollars associated with the contract. How can T-Net not report the dollars? I guess it's because this is just a press release from the Clemson AD's PR department and they don't want to make us aware of how much less money the ACC gets (under its weak leadership) relative to SEC schools, et al.

May 10, 2012, 1:36 PM

Well, if this is true that puts us at a huge $$$$ disadvantage versus the SEC, Pac 12, Big 10 and soon, the Big 12.

This is very disappointing, now that I read the details. Somebody should make a training video "How NOT to negotiate a TV deal" featuring Swofford as the token conference idiot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic