Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts about play calling?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Thoughts about play calling?

Sep 30, 2019, 9:47 PM

I had to work on Saturday and could not watch the NC game until tonight. The play calling seemed very predictable, repetitive, and pedestrian. What do y’all think? Based on what I read before I watched the it was like we went from the best to the worst team in the country during one game, but the team looked pretty good but for the fact that our play calling was just so predictable and safe. A lot of the guys made a lot of good plays. What gives?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts about play calling?

Sep 30, 2019, 9:52 PM

it would of helped in Etienne could've blocked anyone, he missed so many blocks, can't believe Lyn-J didn't get more action because he is a much improved blocker, UNC's pressure on the QB was the biggest issue, made everything rushed & chaotic, I would've tried more screen passes

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 30, 2019, 10:05 PM

Accurate assessment of the game. In some cases we were out coached and out played. I think the coaches played conservatively believing we could win comfortably. And, without many procedural mistakes, missed field goal, fumble and poor blocking of blitzes we would have. We need to be less predictable going forward. We need a Hunter Renfrow like replacement. Still don't see this type in our commitments. But, we won. Go Tigers!

Sep 30, 2019, 10:08 PM

maybe Herbstreit's son who plays offense, or one of the Swinney boys

Oct 1, 2019, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Thoughts about play calling? ]

Hunter Renfrow was not Hunter Renfrow when he was in our commitments.

We could have him on our team right now, but that player has not had the opportunity to turn himself into what Hunter did.

He made himself an elite route runner and studied his way into learning where to find the holes in a defense.

That isn't something that can be recruited for the most part. It must be developed at the collegiate level.

Sure guys can learn to run routes but until you get to college, you can't learn to dissect college defenses the way Hunter did.

Sep 30, 2019, 11:51 PM

My wife who knows little about football, knows exactly what they are going to do. They give to the back for 2 yards, they throw it to the sideline for 4 yards then they throw to a receiver who is 2 yards short of a first down alot. I saw the interview with the NC linebacker who had a good day and he said they noticed Clemson's tendencies and sure enough they did it all day and they were on top of it all day. But on the other hand, we used to lose games like this, and now we don't!

ALWAYS just short of the first down

Sep 30, 2019, 11:57 PM

Sep 30, 2019, 11:59 PM

I'm hopeful a fully healthy Rodgers will open up how the coaches attack the field. The past 4 games everything has been to the boundaries, breaking outside, or deep. Every team Clemson has played has kept 2 deep and blitzed the A and B gaps. The middle of the field 5-10 yards away from the LOS is a ghost town, no defenders or Clemson receivers. People are basically daring Clemson to throw there. Travis has had a hard time holding his blocks on those blitzes and that doesn't bode well for the long developing routes that Clemson keeps running on 3rd and long. I just want to see some slants or quick pop passes over the middle so these wrs can get the ball and do the rest.

I have full faith in the staff recognizing this and their reasoning behind the gameplan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Oct 1, 2019, 2:06 AM

I counted 5 bubble screens we ran for a net of - - 0 yards. The most we made off those - plus 3 yards. The worst - no gain & 1 was minus 3 yards. They were waiting on it every time & essentially blew it up every time. The last time we ran it was late in 3rd QRT for minus 1.

We didn't score in 1st QRT. 2 TDs in 2nd. Neither team scored in 3rd. We took our 1st lead in the 4th - our only 4th QRT possession other than to run out the clock after UNC's failed 2-pointer.

Oct 1, 2019, 10:55 AM

It's like that every game. The bubble screen goes for no or only a few yards. Why, why, why do we continue with that very bad play????

Oct 1, 2019, 6:50 AM

Does not matter what play is called if we don’t execute. Running the correct routes, blocking, picking up blitzes, etc. While out plays have not shown much imagination they are not the problem. Execution is the problem

Oct 1, 2019, 7:47 AM

6 times we had 3rd and 1 or 2. 6 times we had false starts making it 3rd and long.

I strongly feel that if we could have avoided those 6 false starts, we pick up at least 4 of those 6 3rd downs and the complexion of the game changes quite a bit.

Sure, our playcalling is very conservative, but we should be able to be very conservative against teams that we outman all over the field. Stupid self-inflicted errors need to be remedied.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2019, 8:03 AM

In the second half maybe 4th Q Etienne had 3 straight (When given the ball) 9 yd carries and I think at least 2 were followed by Offsides calls. Then we didnt run him again for a while. I agree about the screen pass/stacked wr behind the line passes have not worked this year. Why cant the lead wr release downfield?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 1, 2019, 8:19 AM

ETN's 2nd half carries:

1st drive: 2 yards, 5 yards
2nd drive: 5 yards
3rd drive: Dixon was in
4th drive: no carries, had a catch for a one yard loss
5th drive: no carries

My only complaint was the WR screens, I think we ran 5 and

Oct 1, 2019, 8:13 AM

got a total of 0 yrds. those things are not like power runs off tackle where "you could bust one any moment". If they are sniffed out, they are sniffed out.

Agree 100%. Playcalling HAS to get better***

Oct 1, 2019, 9:51 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Oct 1, 2019, 11:57 AM

Tony Elliott knows more than we do. Jeff Scott knows more than we do. Dabo Swinney knows more than we do. I speculate from time to time on what we will do but I hate second guessing what somebody did. Speculation about doing something's else is based on knowing what they tried didn't work. It doesn't mean that our ideas would. We also are not privy to the bigger picture. Some plays are run with the intentional to open something else up later.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic