Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ford, Spiller Pace Tiger Track & Field at Orange & Purple Classic
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,630

May 10, 2009, 12:58 AM

Clemson sprinters sweep top four spots in 100m dash and win 200m & 4x100m relay Saturday. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spiller vs Ford

May 10, 2009, 3:37 PM

The thing is when comparing Spiller and Ford is.Spiller seems to have better "football" speed.
How many times have you seen Spiller actually caught from behind...probably never.But Ford,well....
Spiller seems to have better TOP END speed than Ford while Ford seems to have alittle better exceleration.Also the pads maybe alil bothersome for FORD.I've always wondered why Ford doesn't break alot more longer runs.Football wise(not track)..Spiller maybe the fastest Tiger ever........................#21

I agree about the football speed thing, but I've never seen

May 10, 2009, 5:18 PM

anybody in college football get to top speed and separate from defenders as quickly as Spiller. It's as if he hits top speed in about 2 or 3 strides; he sees a crack, gets a step, and boom, like he's shot out of a cannon and the defenders are standing still. He's good on top end too, of course; never seen him caught from behind either, even when the defender has an angle. His all-around "football speed" just looks greater to the eye for some reason.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I watched the 4x100 realy Saturday and Jacoby has excellent

May 10, 2009, 8:54 PM [ in reply to Spiller vs Ford ]

top end speed. He put the race out of reach in the second leg. CJ brought it home and coasted the last ten yards.

Re: Spiller vs Ford

May 12, 2009, 12:08 AM [ in reply to Spiller vs Ford ]

I think you may have Spiller and Ford confused in one sentence. If you want to compare top-end speed, look at the 2006 South Carolina game tape. While both men gain separation quickly and decisively, Ford's speed is a thing of sheer beauty when he gets out in the open (look at the 80-yard pass play). Spiller has better acceleration and shiftiness (your term for football speed), but Ford is just in a different league.

I know this seems like splitting hairs, but at the very elite level of competition in sprinting, Ford's speed is significantly greater at the top end than Spiller's (even when on the football field). In any case, its good to know that on any given Saturday the only player that can catch Spiller is Ford.

when you are talking about world clash speed, it is just

May 12, 2009, 3:08 PM

a hair that makes the really great ones out run the great ones.....so in this instance you must split hairs

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Agree 100%

May 12, 2009, 11:37 PM

We're on the same page. Lots of folks make the mistake of thinking that a couple tenths of a second in 100m time isn't that big of a difference. But a low 10-second 100m time means the guys are covering a yard or more per tenth of a second when they're at top speed. So a couple tenths of a second can mean a huge difference in race or on the field. Look at the Olympics - the guys that finished behind Bolt has fantastic times that weren't far behind Bolt's time, but they were still several meters behind him when he crossed the stripe. That's what the commentators mean when they use the word "separation."

I'm glad someone understands this.

Spiller said

May 12, 2009, 3:07 PM [ in reply to Spiller vs Ford ]

The only person he is worried about catching him from behind is on our team and on his side of the ball.....so no worries

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,630
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic