Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Game management - ok, flame away, but...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Game management - ok, flame away, but...

Nov 15, 2016, 12:46 PM

yes... we're 9-1, and last year we were 14-1... I get that.

But.. I still say prosperity is masking game management issues. I don't think you can deny that if Auburn had a tall receiver, we'd be 8-2. Either one of those Hail Mary's would have been caught by a tall receiever, especially the first one. No question that a Mike Williams type would have pulled it down. And, it should never have come to that. There is no way you don't kick that FG rather than trying to convert a 4th down.

And this past Saturday, yes, it's Tuesday noon time quarterbacking, but, absolutely no reason to throw a ball in that situation. Bang the ball up the middle 3x. If need be, kick a FG... game out of reach.

And, yes, not recognizing and managing those situations, and others like it, will keep us from a NC. Alabama doesn't make those mistakes.

Ok, flame on.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Completely agree...sure that you will get the typical

Nov 15, 2016, 12:48 PM

but we're winning responses. But we'd been getting lucky with those bad decisions until Pitt. Run the ball, run the clock and kick FG if don't score a TD. How hard would that have been?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ifs and buts

Nov 15, 2016, 12:50 PM

the only thing I will say on the goalline and the 4th down play is that if we didn't think we could score a TD running it, then why did we think we could run it on 4th and 1? Either call could be right, but in a "game management" mindset that means that the other was wrong.

This was the first game in a long time I feel like the coaches panicked a bit.

Re: Game management - ok, flame away, but...

Nov 15, 2016, 12:51 PM

Completely agree also. How many of those "nail-biter" games could have been out of reach? Has happened a bunch this year. And last year.
It has been a long time problem, even before Dabo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei.

We should expect the coaches & players to be mistake free.

Nov 15, 2016, 12:51 PM

Also they should listen to all the armchair QB/Coaches when they do make mistakes.

It's really that simple !

Flame away generally equals a cry for points

Nov 15, 2016, 12:52 PM

Your pulse suggests you are a ??

Lol @ if Auburn had a tall receiver. A quick look at their roster - they have 5 receivers 6'2 or taller.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/aub-m-footbl-mtt.html

Message was edited by: gville76®

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

You'd be mistaken about that...

Nov 15, 2016, 12:56 PM

I'm a rarity on TNet... an objective fan without their head up their ####...
I'm not mistake free, and certainly don't expect CU coaches to be, but Saturday and the AU game were football 101.

Re: You'd be mistaken about that...

Nov 15, 2016, 1:02 PM

Maybe I am mistaken, but most people here have a low pulse for a reason. I am not arguing the game management in the last 6 minutes from this past weekend. Spot on with that. A FG would have won the game. But the "if Auburn had a tall receiver we would be 8-2" was entertaining. They have several tall receivers.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: Flame away generally equals a cry for points

Nov 15, 2016, 12:57 PM [ in reply to Flame away generally equals a cry for points ]

Saturday was a massive all time chock job in coaching the last 5:40. That was not elite coaching. It almost cost us the season. Our guys did deserve to win, we were better. The coaches messed that one up

Come on

Nov 15, 2016, 1:01 PM

You can second guess the play call on 2nd down at the goal line. But once called the QB is the one who threw the interception. That play call should've been a sack or short loss at worst. Yuo CANNOT make that throw, and thats squarely and 100% on DW's shoulders.

And I still think that 2 cracks to win the game by getting a yard is not a bad decision. Of course I didn't love the toss wide, but it was a run call we hadn't tried and we gave it a shot.

Saturday was, all around, a team loss.

Questionable coaching decisions.
Questionable QB decisions.
Questionable blocking.
Questionable coverage.
Questionable reffing.

It all added up to a 1 point loss. Don't pretend this loss sits only on the shoulders of the coaches.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Come on

Nov 15, 2016, 1:45 PM

yep...a team loss!! We should have won, could have won but didn't. It all adds up to a team loss.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Flame away generally equals a cry for points

Nov 15, 2016, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Flame away generally equals a cry for points ]

Ssh he's on a roll

It's cool to point out questionable calls

Nov 15, 2016, 12:56 PM

Thats what us fans do, and in fact I agree with you about both calls.

One thing I find interesting though, is that there is often a large outcry about "playing not to lose" instead of "playing to win" and I think both of these calls are the aggressive "play to win" style calls. They didn't pan out (though we did win the Auburn game), but they were play calls that were, in my estimation, overly aggressive.

I just find it interesting that much of the criticism has been that they should "put the pedal down" and "play aggressively" and "play to win" and when we do that and it doesn't work out many fans second guess that style as well.

As you said prosperity masks these decisions, but that is true of every team anywhere (see Saban deciding no to take the FG against LSU and getting stuffed on 4th down in a scoreless game). When you win those decisions are momentary conversation points, and are magnified if you don't win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's cool to point out questionable calls

Nov 15, 2016, 1:06 PM

Especially since the one's making the calls are making more than minimum wage.

Re: It's cool to point out questionable calls

Nov 15, 2016, 1:06 PM [ in reply to It's cool to point out questionable calls ]

Especially since the one's making the calls are making more than minimum wage.

No flame, just facts

Nov 15, 2016, 1:06 PM

We're
Not
9-1.

The clemson university men's football team is 9-1.

You haven't won or lost anything. You did get to see an exciting game, even more if you were in the stands.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

This is one of the douchiest posts I've seen***

Nov 15, 2016, 1:14 PM

Agree 100%

Nov 15, 2016, 1:14 PM

But get ready to get wrecked.

Nov 15, 2016, 1:59 PM

Coaches are always learning....game management needs to be a focus point for themselves. Its been pretty awful.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is Minimum wage...

Nov 15, 2016, 2:53 PM

I may be under OR over! LoL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lutz, 100% that a tall receiver would have pulled it down???

Nov 15, 2016, 3:00 PM

No, it's probably less than 5%.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 15, 2016, 3:55 PM

I've been saying the same thing on other forums and i've been burned for it. Our coaches make a lot of questionable decisions but they have turned this program completely around the last few years. I've always said thats what seperates a Nick Saban from a Dabo Swinney quick last second decisions late in games. I'll probably get burned again for this but it shows Dabo and our coaching staff has to get better at game management and last min quick decisions and play calls late in the game. I have confidence in our coaches and love them all. We'll get there though the biggest positive is the playoff is in its second year and we have a chance to be in the mix once again. Go tigers!!

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic